GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2008 GL550 Rear Entertainment DVD player picky

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
2008 GL550 Rear Entertainment DVD player picky

Has anyone had issues with their DVD movie player playing some discs and not others. It seems to play a few discs as well as audio CD's fine, but does not play any Newer Disney DVDs among others. It gives an error which reads "Disc error,wrong format". I am not playing copied discs nor am I putting in BLuray discs. I already ran a lens cleaner. Two dealers I have called are stumped on the issue. The only think I can think of is a possible update?? This is my first German car and I am not familiar with command updates, just heard of them. If I can fix this, I will have a very happy 4 year old daughter.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
I feel your pain. That's why I went with the cheaper mobile alternative by Philips that clips to the headrest. If it should fail, I would be out of $120 instead of $1200. It's been running great for the past 3 years.

DVD's are becoming more obsolete, you can buy 3 of them from the WalMart bargain bin for about 10 bucks. Stores are just trying to get rid of them, it seems.

May I suggest purchasing a new or refurbished Ipad Mini in a protective case (for drops). The 10 hr battery will keep your girl entertained for long trips and you can connect/daisychain the wifi from your phone to get internet/YouTube.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
I have the fix

Originally Posted by maricopa404
Has anyone had issues with their DVD movie player playing some discs and not others. It seems to play a few discs as well as audio CD's fine, but does not play any Newer Disney DVDs among others. It gives an error which reads "Disc error,wrong format". I am not playing copied discs nor am I putting in BLuray discs. I already ran a lens cleaner. Two dealers I have called are stumped on the issue. The only think I can think of is a possible update?? This is my first German car and I am not familiar with command updates, just heard of them. If I can fix this, I will have a very happy 4 year old daughter.
Thanks
I just fixed mine. It plays all discs now, even Disney, which it didn’t before. My daughter is happy now. The lens looses its intensity and only plays lower quality discs. Better discs require a more powerful laser and so you get a disc error. If you want me to fix yours, let me know!