GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

COMAND unit problems....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 450
Exclamation COMAND unit problems....

(2007 GL450 nav, rear entertainment) So about a week ago my battery died and I had to jump it a couple times before I could get the battery changed. Ever since the battery was replaced the COMAND unit has been acting very strange. The first instance I noticed this was when the COMAND unit refused to turn on, and no audio would play. Also about like 5 times the unit failed to read and load the nav DVD. Most recently I was listening to the radio (not loud; about 1/4 volume) when the speakers just stopped working. Also I found that the bluetooth system now does not work along with the multi disc changer and the satellite radio. Also on a side note my heated seats stopped working about two months ago. Everything else on the panel works, but the lights on the buttons do not respond when pushed, and they do not heat up. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me crazy that I now have nothing to listen to on my commute and the bluetooth wont even work.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
Who replaced the battery? Did you or a shop?

I think there is some kind of sequence of steps that one has to do to get the vehicle back in sync when the battery is replaced.

You might want to search this forum or Google battery replacement in a Benz. I know that there are some whacky things that gets hosed up. I've seen windows, locks and sunroof and guessing there is more as you are reporting.

You might also go back to the shop and complain. If they have done enough of these they should know that some stuff needs to be reset. It's not simple a swap and go. Pray they did not hose something up in the process like cross the negative and positive posts. Real easy to do since you're working in tight quarters under the passenger front seat.

Last edited by CBR Dude; 03-09-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 PM

2007 GL 450
a shop replaced the battery for me. Not an MB dealer, just a local shop, the closest dealer to me is two hours away, and couldnt really spare the time. But thank you I will try that now!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM

2008 mercedes c350
While driving in this morning. And just listening to the radio. My command system just shut down. (No issues with the battery that I know of) no cranking or running problems.

But after turning itself off. It would come back on (like everything was fine).
No other lights or alerts on on the dash. Just seemed to be possessed
Old 03-14-2015, 09:03 AM

2008 mercedes c350
ok so I get tired of the radio (command) system turning on and off, so I hit the "on " button turning the entire system off and just drive listening to the chirping birds as the early morning dew flows across the horizon. Just stay with me here it's gonna make since in a minute.
I think I'm narrowing this down (I think). While the system is off I notice that the "illuminated" on button suddenly goes dark (as if power to the system suddenly stops) them the illuminated "on" button comes back on and you can hear the disk / DVD spool up , in about 30 seconds the cycle repeats itself.
With this newfound seat of the pants diagnostics I don't think it's he command system. It has to be something in regards to the constant power that's supplied to the unit.
Tonight I'm going to try disconnecting the battery cable in an attempt to reset everything I'll update with my results later.

Last edited by memphis c350; 03-14-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 PM

2008 mercedes c350
Originally Posted by memphis c350
ok so I get tired of the radio (command) system turning on and off, so I hit the "on " button turning the entire system off and just drive listening to the chirping birds as the early morning dew flows across the horizon. Just stay with me here it's gonna make since in a minute.
I think I'm narrowing this down (I think). While the system is off I notice that the "illuminated" on button suddenly goes dark (as if power to the system suddenly stops) them the illuminated "on" button comes back on and you can hear the disk / DVD spool up , in about 30 seconds the cycle repeats itself.
With this newfound seat of the pants diagnostics I don't think it's he command system. It has to be something in regards to the constant power that's supplied to the unit.
Tonight I'm going to try disconnecting the battery cable in an attempt to reset everything I'll update with my results later.
I can't remember which thread I read this in but it was suggested to do a "soft reboot"
1. Crank the car as normal
2. Press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds (I held mind down for about 20 seconds) you will start to hear one by one your six disc changer start to cycle through your DVDs.
3. Release the "ON" button and your command should start as normal.

I've been without radio/sat/nav/DVDs for about 2 weeks because I refused to take my car to the dealership and have it diagnosed for $125 an hour.

This worked for me and I hope it works for others. I Priced some replacement command systems new and used as well as searching on eBay as well as going to the Command web page. Just having to get rear aronott bags and tires for GL 550 my wife would still be strangling me now if I told her i needed to take the truck to Mercedesbenz for servicing.

Good luck and I hope this helps some that may have experienced the same.