GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Reliability

Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 475 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by chsu74
I have gone naked on this truck for the past year and replaced $200 worth is sensors and an air compressor. Changed my own oil and made half of that cost back compared to dealer prices. I will keep it and see what happens over the next year or two..

Just saw this on the other forum and looks to be a good upgrade if you are looking to keep the truck for a while. Don't think it is worth it just for Bluetooth music streaming but hey you never know..

https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-ml...on-system.html
I've now driven my GL for almost 100k miles. Despite some costly repairs, I'm liking it. It's sturdy and ages well.

I sure wouldn't mind replacing the head unit. I hate the COMAND interface, along with its ridiculous MP3 unit. I had no idea this was an option.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
I've now driven my GL for almost 100k miles. Despite some costly repairs, I'm liking it. It's sturdy and ages well.

I sure wouldn't mind replacing the head unit. I hate the COMAND interface, along with its ridiculous MP3 unit. I had no idea this was an option.
You know how the GPS works? Is it built in or do you run it off a phone?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
You know how the GPS works? Is it built in or do you run it off a phone?
I couldn't quite figure out what the unit does, exactly. It seems have an optional interface to the MB GPS system, so maybe it uses that instead when possible. It still needs the phone's data connection, though.

Maybe the MB GPS is more reliable. Before I plunk down the cash for the unit - $600 + $150 for the HK interface + $15 for the GPS interface - I'd want to understand better how it works.

I like the HK audio in my truck, but man - that head unit is an insult.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
I couldn't quite figure out what the unit does, exactly. It seems have an optional interface to the MB GPS system, so maybe it uses that instead when possible. It still needs the phone's data connection, though.

Maybe the MB GPS is more reliable. Before I plunk down the cash for the unit - $600 + $150 for the HK interface + $15 for the GPS interface - I'd want to understand better how it works.

I like the HK audio in my truck, but man - that head unit is an insult.
I asked their support the question. The answer was a little complicated: Their head unit can either use its own GPS, or MB's. Not sure why it doesn't use the GPS from the phone. Maybe it only connects intermittently to use the phone's data.

Their support seemed friendly and helpful, though.

Boy, I'd love to be able to store my music on my phone. I jumped through hoops to pack MP3's on a CD, but still have to use the clunky COMAND interface. Can't even fast forward or rewind a song, and if I restart a song, it doesn't update the track title when it goes on to the next. My kids like to use Spotify, but have to go through the Aux connector. We're reaching levels of retardedness that shouldn't even be possible.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Awesome!

I think there are two wins here.

1. You can probably connect via Bluetooth audio and just play off your phone's playlist.

2. GPS - curious what their GPS system is based off? Garmin or Tom Tom. I am a Garmin user from day one but anything will be an upgrade from MB'a clunky GPS interface.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Linking the two threads together.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...luetecs-2.html
Old 12-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
There are lots of threads here about replacing the COMAND head unit with one of the chinese Android based head units.

The Android based systems have a ton of functionality - they operate just like your cell phone. I believe they can also operate as a wifi hotspot if you add them to your cellular service plan. I know also are able to use your cell phone's wireless connection to get access to the Internet.

Because the new headunit is internet connected, it means you get Google maps for navigation - and all other google apps. You can download and run any apps you want - Torque is a popular one. You can stream music or video from the internet, or you can stream from your phone. Your kids can play games and watch video.

The new units connect to your existing GPS antenna. Not the GPS system - that is part of the COMAND head unit.

What you lose is your satellite radio, and I think you also lose the ability to change the time on your dashboard clock. The lack of satellite radio and general laziness is why I haven't pulled the trigger...
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (01-11-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by ddruker
What you lose is your satellite radio, and I think you also lose the ability to change the time on your dashboard clock. The lack of satellite radio and general laziness is why I haven't pulled the trigger...
Thanks.

Fortunately I'm uninterested in satellite radio. But the clock adjustment is a weird thing to mess up. Do you have sources for further research?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Search the forum for "avin avant" and "seicane"

that will bring up a ton of threads about head unit replacement...
eric_in_sd (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 PM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Here is a good thread in the Cayenne Forum that goes into detail. Apparently, you can find $360 units on Amazon and the GPS can run offline via another software. It is basically an android tablet acting as a head unit..

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...ll-review.html
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
I ran into a similar situation with LED bulbs. A few makers and dozens of different brands.

The market may have settled. Looks like Avin is trying to recover from prior bad press.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 GL350 CDi
For those looking to purely upgrade their unit for Bluetooth streaming, just buy a Tune2Air off eBay and connect the 30 pin iPod connector to it. Bluetooth streaming fixed. Works perfectly in mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pannalstaroz:
a2j (01-11-2017), eric_in_sd (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Originally Posted by Pannalstaroz
For those looking to purely upgrade their unit for Bluetooth streaming, just buy a Tune2Air off eBay and connect the 30 pin iPod connector to it. Bluetooth streaming fixed. Works perfectly in mine.
Really? You obviously have not had it for long and used it a lot in conjugation with BT phone. It conflicts with MB phone BT all the time and a huge mess despite firmware upgrades. Total junk.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
Agree 100% with the above statement from chsu74. VISEEO - Tune2Air is junk! I've applied the firmware too. I have tried both units that plug into the glove box and they both do the same. If I'm on a long trip I'll use it, but most of the time it sits unplugged on the glove box. I've noted if you try and scroll through your music, strange characters appear on the comand screen. What I've found is you plug it in and let it cruise through your albums and leave it alone. A word of caution too. If your vehicle sits for a length of time. Which mine does as I rotate using my other vehciles. This marvel of engineering will deplete your battery as that plug is not on the ignition switch, thus it's on 100% of the time.

Some people have mentioned firm ware updates from MB for the comand head unit. That's 100% crap too! There is NONE, nor will there ever be. The version of this comand went to pasture in 2012 for the GL series. MB is NOT spending any more time on going backwards on this. FAKE NEWS!! Also some have reported going into the comand setting and activating the music Bluetooth as well. Again FAKE NEWS!! On some head units yes, you can go into the comand and change settings but it will revert back to the default settings once you turn the vehicle off.

I've tried aftermarket made in china crap and it too does not work. Either the phone or the comand does not recognize it. Thus it does not work. I've tried VW and Audi cables. Again got no where with it. I've ordered current cables from MB, no go on that too!

My mind processes this as a WTF moment! I've just spent some unworldly amount of money on a vehicle that is so far behind the times on technology, I should have had my brain examined when I bought it. At the time it was a no brainer so to speak. I could have cared less. But as my kids put it. It's an old farts car and some other words which I won't post. They gave for Christmas this year a BT devise that plugs into the power outlet and I tune my radio to a station. And that's as far as I've gone with it. Yes it works but I've not done any thing else other than using it a few miles down the road.

When it's time for the Benz to retire, it won't be another one.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM

GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
^ The activation of BT music streaming is for the MB command unit a generation later than what we have on the GL from 09-12. It was in the E class as early as '11 and did not appear in the GL until '13.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM

GL550
chsu74 - You sir have won the internet for today! You are correct on the GL series. For 2013 the comand was changed. I can't commit on the other series as I've never poked my head in one.

This entire saga is a egg on Mercedes face as far as I'm concerned. Nor do I think Mercedes cares. My other vehicles are older and both have Bluetooth capabilities for music and the phone. Why Mercedes had the lack of technology is beyond my thinking. Marketing, R&D, ect... I'm sure played a huge roll in this.

As I see it any automaker can't sit idly by and play wait and see game. The Korean's are literally kicking some serious **** on this! Granted you get what you pay for. But this technology is available to everyone why is it not being deployed?

Like I said earlier, this just boggles my mind paying this kind of money and it's lacking the basic tech stuff. I listen to my SAT radio most of the time. So the BT of music was not really a show stopper at the time of purchase. Had I had to do it all over again it would not have been the Benz!

My grand kids like the DVD player in the back seat so they can watch movies, by the time they realize the full scope of things, the Benz will be long gone and then it's someone else's issue.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Wait, I'm confused.

With an 07, is there actually a doohickey I can plug into the weird little connector in the secret pocket of the armrest and I can bluetooth stream music?

Or not?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by CBR Dude
I've just spent some unworldly amount of money on a vehicle that is so far behind the times on technology, I should have had my brain examined when I bought it. At the time it was a no brainer so to speak. I could have cared less. But as my kids put it. It's an old farts car and some other words which I won't post. They gave for Christmas this year a BT devise that plugs into the power outlet and I tune my radio to a station. And that's as far as I've gone with it. Yes it works but I've not done any thing else other than using it a few miles down the road.

When it's time for the Benz to retire, it won't be another one.
I'm sorry, but I'm just not quite getting it. Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.

You know, I always had such mixed emotions about the GL. Then I took it on a two-day offroad clinic in Anza Borrego. Highlight was when they asked for a volunteer for recovery training. I ran that GL straight up a dune, stopping just over the sharp lip, on maybe a 20 degree slope, resting comfortably on a pad of sand right about under the middle pillar. I stepped out onto the sand, level with the sill. The instructor and I were surprised to agree that I could easily have made it had I not purposefully stopped.

Challenge that GL to not let you down in adverse conditions, and it won't be an old fart's car anymore. Be like most losers insisting on ONLY THE BEST for their GL-CLASS and yeah, I can see why you'd be rankled.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 01-11-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 GL350 CDi
Really? You obviously have not had it for long and used it a lot in conjugation with BT phone. It conflicts with MB phone BT all the time and a huge mess despite firmware upgrades. Total junk.
I haven't had any issues over 18 months. Perhaps I'm the lucky one?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:06 PM

GL550
eric_in_sd, that outlet in the 2012 GL is in the glove box in front of the passenger. There is nothing in the armrest on the 2012 GL other than the button that connects to the comand for which I've disconnected service on. Another antique operation.

The OEM dongle has the old iPod hook up as well as the 3.5 plug that goes in the ear bud jack.

The VISEEO dongle you can purchase on Amazon or eBay. The same dongle fits the VW, Audi outlet. Yes, you can Bluetooth music through it. Although not the best solution it does work.

If you have an outlet in your armrest console. I'm not up to speed on your year. I know Mercedes had some contraption that went into the console but that does not apply to the 2012. They had some other contraption for the BT that came along, but not sure of what it actually did either.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by CBR Dude
eric_in_sd, that outlet in the 2012 GL is in the glove box in front of the passenger. There is nothing in the armrest on the 2012 GL other than the button that connects to the comand for which I've disconnected service on. Another antique operation.

The OEM dongle has the old iPod hook up as well as the 3.5 plug that goes in the ear bud jack.

If you have an outlet in your armrest console. I'm not up to speed on your year. I know Mercedes had some contraption that went into the console but that does not apply to the 2012. They had some other contraption for the BT that came along, but not sure of what it actually did either.
Here's the doohickmus I have in the center console. I took one look at it when I bought the car and said, ya right, Imma marry myself to the MB ecosystem.

So does this look like what's in your glove box? My 3.5mm plug (for Aux) is in the glove box.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
That connector is for the M-B Bluetooth 'puck'. AFAIK it doesn't go with anything else. With the 'puck' in place it is possible to pair your cell phone the the car audio system. Once paired the cell phone can be operated from the steering wheel buttons or the COMAND panel on the dash. Phone info will be displayed in the MFD.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
That connector is for the M-B Bluetooth 'puck'. AFAIK it doesn't go with anything else. With the 'puck' in place it is possible to pair your cell phone the the car audio system. Once paired the cell phone can be operated from the steering wheel buttons or the COMAND panel on the dash. Phone info will be displayed in the MFD.
What the puck ... (stole that joke from some other user)

Those stupid pucks cost like 0ver $200. I remember something also about them only being for Nokia phones, but maybe there's a later version.

And I see upthread that the Ipod jacks are only 09-12. Sigh.

Maybe I will get one of those Android tablet inserts. I tell ya, tho, I'm not super keen on a device that gets access to the CAN bus. I've heard more stories about people hacking car operating systems.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
What the puck ... (stole that joke from some other user)

Those stupid pucks cost like 0ver $200. I remember something also about them only being for Nokia phones, but maybe there's a later version.

And I see upthread that the Ipod jacks are only 09-12. Sigh.

Maybe I will get one of those Android tablet inserts. I tell ya, tho, I'm not super keen on a device that gets access to the CAN bus. I've heard more stories about people hacking car operating systems.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
I bought ours on ebay - and it was NOT $200! It works just fine with our iPhones - (we don't have the iPhone 7 yet). It handles multiple phones in the car at the same time - simultaneous calls I don't know about though.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by petr4271
Here is video not only about common issues but also how much to fix them.
Quit spamming your video.
mefferso (01-29-2019)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reliability