GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Valve body replacement...only at Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes GL450
Valve body replacement...only at Mercedes?

My GL450 2007 is stuck in limp mode. The closed Mercedes dealer is 60 miles away. I don't feel like towing it. Is there a way to get it out? I have a feeling its the valve body since these go on this car. Can it only go to Mercedes to have it replaced?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdavidalexande
My GL450 2007 is stuck in limp mode. The closed Mercedes dealer is 60 miles away. I don't feel like towing it. Is there a way to get it out? I have a feeling its the valve body since these go on this car. Can it only go to Mercedes to have it replaced?
Thanks,
Dave
limp mode can be triggered in many ways.

the tranny valve body/ conductor plate is one of them.

normally, your conductor plate will progressively get worse (stuck in gear and ok after a restart) before it gives up altogether. they rarely are ok one day and completely dead the next.

depending on the version of your conductor plate it might be a replaceable part or it can be an integral part of the valve body. this can be determined via star/das or visually after removal (the version is stamped with large number on the pcb).

a new conductor plate needs to be scn coded to the truck and the dealer is pretty much the only game in town most of the time as it requires feed into mercedes corporate.

a new conductor plate is about $1200 done at the dealer. a new valve body is about $2500.

now, if your old conductor plate is completely dead and its config/ params cannot be read to be transferred to the new conductor plate you need to replace both the valve body and the conductor plate as every conductor plate is bench flown and mated/ calibrated to a particular valve block...

so to answer your question - you can remove the valve body on your own (about 1 hour of labor), but there is little you can do with it as a home/ indy mechanic.

but before you do anything you should really read the car with star/ das and determine root cause. valve block and conductor plate troubleshooting is well defined and easily assessed within star/ das, but you might have a myriad of other problems that cause the limp mode.

hope this helps

Last edited by alx; 04-30-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM

2007 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by alx
limp mode can be triggered in many ways.

the tranny valve body/ conductor plate is one of them.

normally, your conductor plate will progressively get worse (stuck in gear and ok after a restart) before it gives up altogether. they rarely are ok one day and completely dead the next.

depending on the version of your conductor plate it might be a replaceable part or it can be an integral part of the valve body. this can be determined via star/das or visually after removal (the version is stamped with large number on the pcb).

a new conductor plate needs to be scn coded to the truck and the dealer is pretty much the only game in town most of the time as it requires feed into mercedes corporate.

a new conductor plate is about $1200 done at the dealer. a new valve body is about $2500.

now, if your old conductor plate is completely dead and its config/ params cannot be read to be transferred to the new conductor plate you need to replace both the valve body and the conductor plate as every conductor plate is bench flown and mated/ calibrated to a particular valve block...

so to answer your question - you can remove the valve body on your own (about 1 hour of labor), but there is little you can do with it as a home/ indy mechanic.

but before you do anything you should really read the car with star/ das and determine root cause. valve block and conductor plate troubleshooting is well defined and easily assessed within star/ das, but you might have a myriad of other problems that cause the limp mode.

hope this helps
I brought it in and they said I needed new spark plugs. As well as clean electrical connector between TCM and conductor plate. They said either of these could cause the problems I have been experiencing. Thoughts/
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
It could be the connector. Do you have a history of getting stuck in any gear and restarting the truck fixing it? If so- it is your conductor plate/ valve body. If all of a sudden the truck is dead without previous problems- it might be tcu/ plate connectors.... Or a million other things

Last edited by alx; 05-01-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 AM

2007 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by alx
It could be the connector. Do you have a history of getting stuck in any gear and restarting the truck fixing it? If so- it is your conductor plate/ valve body. If all of a sudden the truck is dead without previous problems- it might be tcu/ plate connectors.... Or a million other things

I would have to stop and restart to fix the problem (it was getting stuck in low gear and had no power). Well I got it back and it was working great (no more until one of the spark plugs misfired so now its back in again. I'll keep everyone updated