GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Newbie with 2010 GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Newbie with 2010 GL550

New Mercedes owner here. I have been a BMW owner in the past but needed to purchase a third row SUV to replace an aging Suburban. My wife works at a Land-Rover dealership and they received a 2010 GL550 as a trade and immediately gave it to her to take home for the weekend because of the immaculate shape of the vehicle. She brought it home Friday night and we bought it the following Tuesday.

We loved it from day one. Wow this SUV drives nice! I keep finding features that are amazing. Now I need to find out how to get her not to drive it and leave it home for me. My son made a comment that he is never going to ride in the front seat again because of all the space in the back, the comfortable reclined back seats and the entertainment system.

I had a couple questions on features. Is there a place to find all of the options and codes that were available on the vehicle when new? I decoded my VIN already but wanted to see what else was available on the vehicle.

I had question regarding the fog lights. I have the bi-xenon lights and wanted to know about the fog lights. It looks like the daytime driving lights also double as front fogs. Is that correct? What about the rear fog light? My light switch only has one pull-out, not two. I don't know if that is because of the bi-xenon or not.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to more posts and a lot of nice driving. We have a trip to Vail, Colorado coming up and a trip to Washington, DC. We will be driving to both from Dallas, TX.

Mike
Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Originally Posted by mgmcaleer
New Mercedes owner here. I have been a BMW owner in the past but needed to purchase a third row SUV to replace an aging Suburban. My wife works at a Land-Rover dealership and they received a 2010 GL550 as a trade and immediately gave it to her to take home for the weekend because of the immaculate shape of the vehicle. She brought it home Friday night and we bought it the following Tuesday.

We loved it from day one. Wow this SUV drives nice! I keep finding features that are amazing. Now I need to find out how to get her not to drive it and leave it home for me. My son made a comment that he is never going to ride in the front seat again because of all the space in the back, the comfortable reclined back seats and the entertainment system.

I had a couple questions on features. Is there a place to find all of the options and codes that were available on the vehicle when new? I decoded my VIN already but wanted to see what else was available on the vehicle.

I had question regarding the fog lights. I have the bi-xenon lights and wanted to know about the fog lights. It looks like the daytime driving lights also double as front fogs. Is that correct? What about the rear fog light? My light switch only has one pull-out, not two. I don't know if that is because of the bi-xenon or not.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to more posts and a lot of nice driving. We have a trip to Vail, Colorado coming up and a trip to Washington, DC. We will be driving to both from Dallas, TX.

Mike

Congrats on the Beast!!

If you search the forum they have a link where you apply your VIN and get the results you need.

I used this one try it.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz

enter in the "enter Mercedes vin number" not the "get a full vehicle history".

Last edited by nachilus; 05-05-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
If you are searching for "hidden features" that your GL has, the owner's manual might be a better source. It will show you things like: how to limit the opening height of the rear hatch; automatically fold side mirrors when locked: have the front seat belts "auto tighten" when latched; etc.

Plus you'll want to understand all the other features/options...like hill descent, suspension height, etc.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
I can pull your Data Card From the EPC or you can sign up for free and get it yourself :-)

good luck enjoy!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 PM

2013 GL550
Thanks for the vin decoder link. I just got a 2013 GL and wasn't sure what the available options were either. Cheers!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:50 AM

GL550
Thanks. That is the VIN decoded I used. I see all of the packages I have on my Benz. I was looking for the entire list of available packages, including the ones I don't have. Is there any place that shows that info?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM

2013 GL550
hey mgmcaleer.. i just did a google search on my model and the word "brochure" and found a pdf of the official marketing brochure for that year.. the last few pages has all the models, what's standard and what's an option. I found that easier than trying to figure out on edmunds.com which were the standard and which were options for my new benz. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by dkaydkay
hey mgmcaleer.. i just did a google search on my model and the word "brochure" and found a pdf of the official marketing brochure for that year.. the last few pages has all the models, what's standard and what's an option. I found that easier than trying to figure out on edmunds.com which were the standard and which were options for my new benz. Good luck!
Thanks! I didn't even think about doing that. I got it now. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by nachilus
Congrats on the Beast!!
Hahaha the license plate frame on my GL reads
Das Biest von
Mercedes-Benz

I thought about translating "My owner hates me" into German, but thought better of if.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 05-13-2015 at 06:43 PM.