GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

I just did my own transmission oil change - sharing interesting info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 GL320
I just did my own transmission oil change - sharing interesting info

Few interesting things that happened and some observations/thoughts I thought I should share.

1. Per few lists of parts needed for the job and shared on forums, I had purchased an overfill plastic pipe that snaps to the other side of the fill plug. Well…, that tube was shorter (around 2cm) than the one found in the pan. I was then puzzled what to do, so I decided to go with the original one (white/yellowish in color), the new one was Green. Why do we have to buy that part anyway??..., my pan was the updated version with the sloped end.

2. No need to unplug anything to access the torque converter plug, just access it in an angel from the front of the vehicle.

3. I torqued all pan screws per the manual, but soon one showed oil dripping off of it, I went another 90 degrees tighter on it and that leak stopped. Whew…. What a relief!.. and so much for keeping mating surfaces clean : )

4. I opened the fill tube at 113F, but the fluid that came out was more than the extra 1 liter that I had put in, I would say that 1.5L came out. I am not sure what that is all about (I am 100% sure as I collected/measured it all), but I had used the shorter green overfill tube, it would have been less fluid in the pan anyway. I am not sure what to make of it. Any thoughts?

5. If your vehicle is sitting on a leveled surface, the pan is not horizontal. The dealer just jacks up the car keeping all wheels leveled, but that leaves the pan slightly tilted, I don’t think they level the vehicle based on the pan being horizontal. That means that a different amount of fluid will come out when the plug is opened at 113F Any thoughts??.... I made sure my pan was horizontal.

6. My tranny fluid had never been changed, I purchased it used and during the change the car had 100K on it. However, I did not find any sludge collected on the bottom of the pan - none!.., as seen on pictures and videos, so I guess that is good . My magnets were covered in tiny shavings (that was expected)

Last edited by johny75; 07-07-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typos