GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

So many issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
So many issues...

I purchased my GL450 (07) in feb and it's nearly spent more time in the shop than I've spent driving it.

Anyway, with regards to the electrical system I've had the alternator change, the positive connection switched out and (2) new batteries. I've constantly had problems starting it.

Anyway, I picked it up late last week after having the battery replaced and drove from Vegas to AZ for a short break yesterday. Everything seemed fine other than the radio keeps turning on and off occasionally and the air-con fans keep dropping for a sec or so. We picked it up from valet last night and just took it for a drive for an hour. Dropped it off. When to pick it up this morning and it had to be jumped (nothing was left on). It now won't start without being jumped. Also, whilst driving today on the freeway, it appeared to lose power, the engine warning light flashed on and straight off and it then had an abs/esp warning.

I've driven it to where I was going and haven't tried to drive it since.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems?

I've read a few issues regarding crankshaft sensor where the symptoms appear to be similar. My bug fear is that it's going to cut out whilst doing a fair speed on the freeway and cause us some serious damage...
Old 07-15-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Originally Posted by No shoes
I purchased my GL450 (07) in feb and it's nearly spent more time in the shop than I've spent driving it.

Anyway, with regards to the electrical system I've had the alternator change, the positive connection switched out and (2) new batteries. I've constantly had problems starting it.

Anyway, I picked it up late last week after having the battery replaced and drove from Vegas to AZ for a short break yesterday. Everything seemed fine other than the radio keeps turning on and off occasionally and the air-con fans keep dropping for a sec or so. We picked it up from valet last night and just took it for a drive for an hour. Dropped it off. When to pick it up this morning and it had to be jumped (nothing was left on). It now won't start without being jumped. Also, whilst driving today on the freeway, it appeared to lose power, the engine warning light flashed on and straight off and it then had an abs/esp warning.

I've driven it to where I was going and haven't tried to drive it since.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems?

I've read a few issues regarding crankshaft sensor where the symptoms appear to be similar. My bug fear is that it's going to cut out whilst doing a fair speed on the freeway and cause us some serious damage...

How many miles does it have?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Gl450
Originally Posted by nachilus
How many miles does it have?

It has 75,000 on it.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You might still have power delivery (or cable) problems. But before going in that direction- all 07s need the rear SAM flashed to new code to prevent remaining energized after operating the trunk lid (which drains the battery). Have dealer check coding. If old- update. If current- see first sentence.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Gl450
Ok, an update on this joke of a situation.

So basically, Mercedes haven't been returning my calls and appeared to have been avoiding me since I dropped my car in 2 weeks ago!!! I finally got in touch with them last week after emailing them a formal complaint (though wasn't contacted by a manager).

They informed me that my customer service rep was no longer with the company hence why no one had been in touch? random???

Anyway, After the guy read me the full list of broken sensors, etc to me he stated that there was an issue with a wiring loom which had been left "loose" by another garage... the issue is, i've owned the Car since Feb and only Merc of Henderson have had it. since February I have also been taking it into them with numerous electrical issues which they've "repaired".

Also, the issues which have been occurring only started after my last visit to them?

I believe that this issue is caused by their workmanship however, how can I prove this?
Also, I now have a butt load of sensors which all died at the same time after what appeared to be a power-surge whilst driving on the highway, which I can only assume happened because of these wiring issues.
This has now left me with a $3000+ bill on top of the $600 its costing me for them to fix the "loose wiring". (my original rep told me it was tired and needed replacing).

My question is, do these reps work on commission or targets for sales?
Everytime I have took this car to Merc Henderson it has come back in a worse driving condition than I left it, especially if it's work which isn't covered by warranty. With the rep whos been dealing with my situation loosing his job (his interaction with customers was great BTW so clearly there was another issue) and the dealership being so cagey, I am seriously wondering if they have been f-ing my car up so i'd continue to spend thousands of dollars with them and in turn he gets his commission/quota?
I' pretty young and earn a butt load of money plus I work stupid amounts of hours, so i've never questioned the bills, I just my debit card at them so i'd be pretty easy to "take advantage of" but this is no longer sitting right!

I'm honestly wondering if the guy has been fired for mispractice and the dealership don't want to put my car right!?!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:20 AM

Gl450
Ok,

So an update on this.. After dealing with management all repairs to their credit were completed without charge. (The initial quote was actually nearer 5k than the 3k in the aforementioned post)

Manager investigated and found that the only issue was a loose wire (they'd recently done some wiring work) which they rectified. Once fixed, all codes were reset and everything appears to be fine.

I feel a lot more confident in the dealership now and it appeared to be down to a rogue employee rather than policy. New manager seems very honest.

Just a shame I've already spent 5 figures with them on repairs already this year. Makes me wonder how much was justified!?!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 PM

R350
Dang, posts like this scare the pants off of me. I'm glad you got it resolved!

We recently bought a very nicely equipped 2008 GL320 CDI 4MATIC that has been driven 75,000 miles, and it's in immaculate shape.

I bought it from someone that I know and trust, and I have very detailed service and repair history. It had some issues in the first couple of years, but they were quickly resolved, and it's had absolutely zero issues for the past 5-6 years. Regular services only.

I just spent $3,500 for new air springs, brakes, brake fluid flush, rear shocks, 4 wheel alignment, oil change, cabin filter, and several other regular services, and the tires are fairly new, so I should be set for a while.

I hope to drive this tank 100,000+ more miles. Fingers crossed that I don't have any issues like this, or some other posts in this forum.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
My observations/opinion is this: my 2010 GL550 is not perfect and isn't quite as dependable as most Japanese competitors. That in itself is acceptable to me. However, most Dealers are terrible (the same can be said for BMW). They routinely overlook the "root cause" and often take multiple attempts to fix the same problem.

If I decide not to purchase another MB (and/or BMW) is will be because of the dealership experience (regarding service)...not the vehicle itself!