GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Noise when I take off with my wheels turned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 550, 1988 560SL
Noise when I take off with my wheels turned

I own a 2009 Mercedes Benz GL 320. When I am at a complete stop and have my front wheels turned, and I accelerate to take off (ie press the gas medium to hard and have the turbo spool up), the front wheel makes a clunking sound. It seems like maybe a knuckle (I think this is called a C.V. joint? I am not sure) of the front wheel axle is going bad. The rubber boot covers underneath look great and they are not torn.
Does anybody no what causes this problem. It seems to be occurring more often?
Is it dangerous to go on a road trip with this condition. It does not happen when the SUV is going straight or moving. Maybe it is because I would never turn the steering wheel that hard while I am moving.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Your cv joint needs replacement. Most likely your passenger side. Common.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
It's not dangerous as long as you don't turn the steering wheel. Just only drive in a straight line.

Seriously: I don't know if this is true for the GL, but I've had cars with failing CV joints and they get intolerably loud before they fly apart.

Get it fixed before it goes bang, or it will make a real mess.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 PM

2015 GL 550, 1988 560SL
Does anybody have a link to a DIY for a CV joint replacement for my 2009 GL320. Also, how can you tell if it is bad? Do I have to remove the rubber boots and check inside?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 AM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Ornelas66
I own a 2009 Mercedes Benz GL 320. When I am at a complete stop and have my front wheels turned, and I accelerate to take off (ie press the gas medium to hard and have the turbo spool up), the front wheel makes a clunking sound. It seems like maybe a knuckle (I think this is called a C.V. joint? I am not sure) of the front wheel axle is going bad. The rubber boot covers underneath look great and they are not torn.
Does anybody no what causes this problem. It seems to be occurring more often?
Is it dangerous to go on a road trip with this condition. It does not happen when the SUV is going straight or moving. Maybe it is because I would never turn the steering wheel that hard while I am moving.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

I had this on my new to me 2012 GL450. However, the colder it was in temperature outside, the less I needed to turn the wheel to make the noise. I thought oh, CV joint. Took it to dealer, they said there is a Service Bulletin on this "noise" and they "tightened" something and added some kind of wax. Who knows. Problem is that it was no longer freezing after they fixed it. So the problem is gone (for now) but, I don't know if it's because of the warmer weather or their magical "wax" fix. I'll keep you posted but, maybe check with the Stealership?