GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

AIRMATIC line leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 190E 2.3-16, BMW 318tds T, Porsche 944S2, Mercedes GL320CDI
AIRMATIC line leak

I have a GL320CDI, love the car. As we all know AIRMATIC can be probleMATIC . Before it turned 100000 miles I replaced both front suspension airspring/shock. I was able to make the change myself, not too hard. Nice ride again....

During summer months the suspension was giving me error readings again but it seemed kind of temperature dependent. Front would slowly go down while driving and the compressor would have to pump until it shuts off because of overheating. In the morning it would rise right up slowly. I found the plastic links that connect to level sensors would be all rubbery and bending especially when the engine is warm. Replaced those two links, now the suspension is more predictable and rises quickly in the morning, but still starts sagging when driving longer. No sagging when parked.

There still is a problem. According to the Mercedes technician there is a tiny leak somewhere between the valve block and the air tank in the rear. I checked at the valve block and around the air tank and could not find a leak.

Please someone let me know how I can get access to that air line. Also I somehow think the compressor can't keep up with pumping and shuts down.

The MB tech told me the compressor is working, but somehow I think when it gets hot it seems to loose pumping power. How can I test this air pump to know for sure. I drove the car for 6 months with a sagging front air spring, could I have worn it out where it shuts down when hot and not come back on until I restart the car.

Any more insight would be helpful, thanks in advance....