DRL LED's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
DRL LED's

Hey guys,
Frustrating enough when having DRL's on we have to deal with having the headlights on in broad day light also, today I learned one of the LED light bulbs (not the whole strip just one bulb on it) on the left side is out, now my damn truck looks like those south Bronx hoopties with fake LEDs half working and half not so I turned the DRL's off completely.

I can't believe in such a high end vehicle the LED's would start going so soon, we have just hit 50K miles on it now and on our 2011 Audi A5 with over 110K miles LED's are working perfectly.

The warranty has expired so I guess I'm not left with much choice right?
Has anyone had this issue before, is there a fix to it or should I just go to the dealer and get a new one?

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
I have the same problem.

During the day, all of the LEDs look fine. At night, when they dim, one of the bulbs on the left side goes out.

Looks like a broken "tooth".

The replacement part on Ebay seems pretty expensive (+$300). If anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Originally Posted by JohnnyGaz
Hey guys,
Frustrating enough when having DRL's on we have to deal with having the headlights on in broad day light also, today I learned one of the LED light bulbs (not the whole strip just one bulb on it) on the left side is out, now my damn truck looks like those south Bronx hoopties with fake LEDs half working and half not so I turned the DRL's off completely.

I can't believe in such a high end vehicle the LED's would start going so soon, we have just hit 50K miles on it now and on our 2011 Audi A5 with over 110K miles LED's are working perfectly.

The warranty has expired so I guess I'm not left with much choice right?
Has anyone had this issue before, is there a fix to it or should I just go to the dealer and get a new one?

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
Ouch! At that point I'd take them off. In Virginia if they are on the car they have to work when going through inspection. Guess I have something to save up for?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 AM

2012 GL550
Originally Posted by samiran
I have the same problem.

During the day, all of the LEDs look fine. At night, when they dim, one of the bulbs on the left side goes out.

Looks like a broken "tooth".

The replacement part on Ebay seems pretty expensive (+$300). If anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks for your reply Samiran,
On our GL that single LED bulb is off all the time and it's upsetting because at night when the low beams come on the LED's do too and it looks as you said "like a broken tooth"
Old 09-09-2015, 10:03 AM

2012 GL550
Originally Posted by CBR Dude
Ouch! At that point I'd take them off. In Virginia if they are on the car they have to work when going through inspection. Guess I have something to save up for?
CBR Dude, thanks for your reply,
You mean, taking them off completely or just disconnect them?
I'm definitely going to fix them, I love how they look and also if I physically took them off would look odd!

I'm just hoping anyone has a better alternative rather than going to the stealership.

Thanks again for the reply guys.
Johnny
Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
I have mine on.

In Virginia if they are on the car they have to work 100% other wise you fail inspection.

Virginia State Police Inspection are now automated. So they can look stuff up while you are pulled over. Inspectors make notes if they have been removed and then you're caught with them on. Busted!

I like the inspections to keep the crap off the road but for stuff like this is a real nuisance.

If they are burned out and you are between inspections, you can get a ticket for inoperable equipment. Poster child for that! Technically it's an offense, but depending on the cop he can look the other way. But with the state coffers down what better way to keep the $$ flowing.

I agree that Benz is expensive. I've been trying to make all my parts purchases online vs. the stealership, but for some stuff after you pay the postage and handling you might as well pay and get it faster at the dealer. You have to pre pay the order on some items.

My wife is back in her fleet vehicle. I'm seriously thinking about dumping the Benz and using her personal car as it's just sitting taking up space. If it's just for a short time, I'm not making payments and dealing with truck issues. Don't get me wrong the Benz is a very nice ride, but the upkeep and quirkiness is driving me batty!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 PM

C300 Sport 4matic
Just had my driver side go out. Caught a rock and it got water in it and finally fizzled out. Does anyone know where to get them for a DECENT price?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:05 PM

GL350
I have a 2011 where the right passenger side DRL has a single bulb out as well. Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket part to replace or will it not match the factory left one. I have also thought about getting two aftermarket lights for both sides so they match. Dealer wanted $300 for the single one, I did find online at some places for around 200. Has anyone found a successful aftermarket supplier or is it best to get the MB one.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Same problem here. My driver side DRL's just died on me. More frustrating is the message I get every time I start the car. (Left DRL not working)
Is there nor replacement like a bulb?