X164 Aftermarket Styling Guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBZ
X164 Aftermarket Styling Guide

The GL is the third SUV released from Mercedes. In terms of comfort, it comes as close to an off-road capable S-Class as possible. I wish there was a true AMG version of the X164, but the 450 and 550 could still be modified into performance SUVs. The following is a guide to help you capture the potential of the GL.

1) Wheels - The stock AMG wheels are actually very nice as is. For a good selection of 20”, 21”, and 22” wheels for the GL Forgestar can deliver. You may want a forged wheel and in that case iForged, 360 Forged, and RSV Forged all can be custom built to your specs. An AMG’esque five, six, or seven spoke wheel goes well with the X164.

2) Brakes - You have a big vehicle, with a big engine, so you are probably going to need big brakes. Brembo offers a GT brake upgrade for the front and rear. The kit comes with 8-piston calipers and 15” cross-drilled discs for the front, 4-piston 15” cross-drilled discs for the rear.

3) Suspension - We understand the GL is a functional SUV, however for the sake of form it can be lowered. Lowering links give you the option to adjust the ride height to your preferred setting.

4) Performance - A simple way to get more power out of your GL is an exhaust system. Meisterschaft and Brabus both offer performance systems, however they are only available through special ordering. Please let me know if you have questions about the systems or need help obtaining one. There is also the option of twin-turbos for the 450 and 550.

5) Styling - A quick style mod would be to upgrade the exhaust tips to the W211 E63 style or W221 S65 style. Color matching the lower trim panels helps update the appearance. Lastly, we have designed a completely new front end for the X164. We wanted to get as close to an authentic AMG face lift as possible. Although this is a concept, we have the capabilities to produce the front end if there is enough interest from owners. I have included the pic below. Please feel free to comment if you are interested in the AMG face lift update.

Hopefully this guide helps give you some ideas of what to look for when modifying your GL.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:24 AM

S63 AMG
Originally Posted by Julie@KonceptCars
The GL is the third SUV released from Mercedes. In terms of comfort, it comes as close to an off-road capable S-Class as possible. I wish there was a true AMG version of the X164, but the 450 and 550 could still be modified into performance SUVs. The following is a guide to help you capture the potential of the GL.

1) Wheels - The stock AMG wheels are actually very nice as is. For a good selection of 20”, 21”, and 22” wheels for the GL Forgestar can deliver. You may want a forged wheel and in that case iForged, 360 Forged, and RSV Forged all can be custom built to your specs. An AMG’esque five, six, or seven spoke wheel goes well with the X164.

2) Brakes - You have a big vehicle, with a big engine, so you are probably going to need big brakes. Brembo offers a GT brake upgrade for the front and rear. The kit comes with 8-piston calipers and 15” cross-drilled discs for the front, 4-piston 15” cross-drilled discs for the rear.

3) Suspension - We understand the GL is a functional SUV, however for the sake of form it can be lowered. Lowering links give you the option to adjust the ride height to your preferred setting.

4) Performance - A simple way to get more power out of your GL is an exhaust system. Meisterschaft and Brabus both offer performance systems, however they are only available through special ordering. Please let me know if you have questions about the systems or need help obtaining one. There is also the option of twin-turbos for the 450 and 550.

5) Styling - A quick style mod would be to upgrade the exhaust tips to the W211 E63 style or W221 S65 style. Color matching the lower trim panels helps update the appearance. Lastly, we have designed a completely new front end for the X164. We wanted to get as close to an authentic AMG face lift as possible. Although this is a concept, we have the capabilities to produce the front end if there is enough interest from owners. I have included the pic below. Please feel free to comment if you are interested in the AMG face lift update.

Hopefully this guide helps give you some ideas of what to look for when modifying your GL.

Are you offering body kit for x164? Or additional body parts?
I'm interested and need more information.
Please post pictures and prices.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

MBZ
Originally Posted by Zarubin
Are you offering body kit for x164? Or additional body parts?
I'm interested and need more information.
Please post pictures and prices.
Hi - I just received your email. I will reply shortly. Thanks.

Last edited by Julie@KonceptCars; 11-22-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:32 PM

I would love to see a GL63 styled front bumper that could fit the X164 body.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Got any photos of finished GL's who used your services?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

MBZ
Originally Posted by silver bullit
I would love to see a GL63 styled front bumper that could fit the X164 body.
Originally Posted by islandbeef
Got any photos of finished GL's who used your services?
We provided the render as a basis for the GL63 styled bumper and would love get this project underway for those that are interested.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by Julie@KonceptCars
We provided the render as a basis for the GL63 styled bumper and would love get this project underway for those that are interested.
this is old as hell but did anybody do it?