GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

TPMS Inoperative Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
TPMS Inoperative Warning

I mounted my snow tires on a set of used ML wheels that already had the sensors mounted but now my GL is telling me that my sensors are inoperative. Is there anything I can do to make the car recognize these sensors or am I just going with the electrical tape over the sensor warning for the winter ? Thanks
Old 11-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by audioneurotica
I mounted my snow tires on a set of used ML wheels that already had the sensors mounted but now my GL is telling me that my sensors are inoperative. Is there anything I can do to make the car recognize these sensors or am I just going with the electrical tape over the sensor warning for the winter ? Thanks
I've never did a relearn on the GL yet, I will in the next 30-day when I get my winter set mounted, but here are the instructions I have:

1. Inflate tires to recommended pressure
2. Turn the key to the "ON" position, but with the engine off
3. Goto the "Tire Pressure" display on the dash window
4. Push the "Reset" button
5. Confirm the setup with the "+" button
6. Drive for 15-30 minutes so the vehicle can learn the new sensors

I don't know enough about the differences between the GL and the ML, but are you sure the ML used the 433 sensors?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
TPMS

I've used that method to reset the sensors before. Now the dash tells me the sensors are inoperative. I wouldn't have thought that Mercedes would have used a different series of sensors for the ML's and GL's but I guess they did. Oh well, nothing that a small square of electrical tape over the warning light won't take care of until springtime. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 GL350
Again, I don't know enough between the two vehicles to know if they used a different MHz sensor or not. I was just thinking of potential issues.

I would lean to this being the case, as you mention that none of them work. It would be strange that all 4 would fail simultaniously.

I will say that there were some websites that said a sensor would work on my 2012 GL350, but once I called my MB parts department, they gave me a different number and it wasn't a preceding number either. So, I don't know if there are other factors besides the MHz.

I haven't mounted my winter set yet, so I hope my sensors work fine. I bought them new from eBay and they are supposedly OEM MB Sensors and are branded as such and the part number is printed on them, but they could very well be knock-offs. We'll see.