What Ohms should a Glow Plug test at?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
What Ohms should a Glow Plug test at?

I'm a little confused - can anyone help? I have no codes and the engine seems to start fine in cool temps (40*F). It cranks for about 2 seconds and then fires up. Runs smooth and I don't see any white smoke. So everything seems to be working fine with the glow/starting system, but...

Just for kicks I ohmed the glow plugs (this truck is new to me and my experience with diesels has been GM trucks, so far). I connected my meter to a good ground and then to each pin at the glow plug controller's connector (I removed the connector from the controller to do this).

For each of the six plugs, I had zero ohms. Meaning, not "infinity" or "open" - exactly the same as if I would touch my meter's two leads together. I thought that plugs should have about 1.5 ohms?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Depends on how sensitive your meter (digital?) is. My Fluke digital general purpose VOM reads about 0.5 to 0.6 ohms for a good glow plug. Most glow plugs fail open circuit when they fail but some show 10-100 ohms and are still 'bad'. Most times the engine electronics will throw a MIL when a glow plug is out of spec. The engine will still usually still start fine unless it gets really cold.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
My meter (you are correct - it's digital) isn't on par with a Fluke, but it's a pretty decent one. When I would test the plugs in my old GM 6.5 TD, a good one would usually be in the .8 to 1.2 range. I expected to at least see something on these plugs. The 0.0 reading really threw me for a loop. But since ALL of them measured the same, maybe it is just my meter? I csn try another meter (Fluke) that I can borrow from a friend.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Plugs rarely go bad. Your plug controller is going to go bad every few years. If you have a slow start (long crank before catch) try the following- turn the ignition to position 2 but don't start the engine. Wait until the glow plug indicator goes out plus 10 seconds. Crank. If engine starts much faster- it is your plug controller.

On resistance- unless you read open you don't know if plug is bad. Depending on where it failed in the winding inside A bad one can read just like a good one (but not heat up at all). Lucky for us star/ das usually picks up stored codes pointing to bad plugs. However a bad controller does not show so use the procedure above to determine if it died.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Longer time to heat the combustion cylinder - got it. Before I had more glow time programmed into my 6.5's ECM, I would sometimes do a couple key-on/key offs to do the same thing. Occasionally, I would unplug the ECT sensor which would trick the ECM into thinking it was -40*F and give max glow time.

We can get stretches of 15* to 20* F temps here in PA, with dips to 0* - just want to make sure everything is up to snuff before those temps start to hit.