GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2007 GL 320 CDI suspension airbag fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB GL 320 CDI 2007 & MB ML 320 2000
2007 GL 320 CDI suspension airbag fail

Hi. Some help will be greatly appreciated.

A month ago my GL 320 CDI 2007 left front suspension air bag started leaking and height running low, it gradually ran lower every day until it almost floored. It started only at night but eventually failed after a couple of hours being parked, but it always came back to normal height when the doors where unlocked with the remote. I did a little research and decided to buy both front airbaigs, as shock absorbers where fine. I would take 3 weeks for the parts to arrive and I could not afford downtime on this vehicle, because I use it every day travelling at least 80 miles. Since I continued using the vehicule, the compressor started having problems of overheating and shutting off, eventually the airbag could not hold air, even with the engine running. So I did the following:

1- Since the air leak was via small cracks that where located using soap, I decided to use Tire Flat to seal them. I worked but just for one day.

2- After sealing the cracks, the airbag failed and it punctured on one side. Tried to fix it with a cold vulcanization tire repair kit, but it did not glue well and opened up again.

3- Airbag was no good, so to level the vehicle again, I decided to lift it with rubber washers sandwiched in two metal plates holded together with a bolt. I uploaded a couple of pictures. The airline was sealed.

4- The vehicle leveled and ran fine, except for confort which was greatly compromised, since the airmatic system shuts down after a couple of minutes after the engine starts. The malfunction sign appears on the dashboard, due to the sealed left airbag air line. The GL bounced like a 1980 fourrunner. My back still hurts in the mornings.

5- The airbags finally came, installed them and alleluya, comfort ride again, but I am back to the start line. The vehicule lowers down a couple of hours after the engine stops, on the front driver side, but it comes back to normal when you open the doors with the remote.

I am looking for air leaks, but I have nothing yet. No DTC on the dashboard.

Can you give me a hint?

Best regards.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 GL 320 CDI suspension airbag fail-20160116_103806.jpg   2007 GL 320 CDI suspension airbag fail-20160116_103445.jpg   2007 GL 320 CDI suspension airbag fail-20160116_103440.jpg  
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
You sure it is the same airbag? If the rear on that side or the front on the other side leaks it will lower the one in question too. I hope it makes sense what I wrote.

If you are positive that the airbag is loosing air you either have a faulty new airbag, leaky line/ connections or leaky valve block- in that order
Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 AM

Hi Alx:

The drivers side floors in a couple of hours after the engine is off. The passenger dives a litte bit but is the driver side that drags it. Back air bags stay leveled. Checked the new airbag with soap and it is ok, it turned out a small leak at the air hose connection. Fixed it, but the air bag still drops after a couple of hours after engine stops. I am checking today the level sensor if it has a bent arm and checking air leak from air bag to valve block.

Let you know later.

Thanks.

Best regards
Old 01-20-2016, 10:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
bent height sensor will manifest itself when engine is running as that side will be constantly lower/higher. besides, there is nothing to bend there - just freeze due to rust in the little balljoints on top and bottom of the dog bone (the little lever connecting the sensor arm to the body). be careful removing the dog bones as the sensor lever is plastic and breaks easily. if it does - superglue works wonders on that particular type of plastic lol...

my guess is you have another leak in the lines. it takes a tiny hole for the whole thing to deflate overnight. check carefully.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by alx
bent height sensor will manifest itself when engine is running as that side will be constantly lower/higher. besides, there is nothing to bend there - just freeze due to rust in the little balljoints on top and bottom of the dog bone (the little lever connecting the sensor arm to the body). be careful removing the dog bones as the sensor lever is plastic and breaks easily. if it does - superglue works wonders on that particular type of plastic lol...

my guess is you have another leak in the lines. it takes a tiny hole for the whole thing to deflate overnight. check carefully.
You are right about the sensor axl. I will concentrate on the air line and valve block. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Problem fixed. Air leak in the line connection to the bag. The fitting that came with the new airbag was to small and it fitted loosely in the air line. Corrrect size fitted and the problem was solved. GL now levels all right, malfunction warning is off.