GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Just bought GL550 low miles , warranty options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
gl550
Just bought GL550 low miles , warranty options.

I just bought a 2008 gl550 with 15000 miles, I've been shopping for some warranties for the past couple days and did a ton of searching. I know this issue has been discussed many times but in the past few years a lot has changed from what i can see.
Whats the latest on a good third party warranty for a GL. I was quoted $4800 for 7 years 100k miles, this is a Nissan platinum warranty and supposedly is bumper-bumper minus the usual wear items. But you never know. Any experience with this warranty. I cant get USAA. I heard Assurant solutions or Carchex as good options??
Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X164 GL550, F10 535 6MT
Wow, I don't know anything about warranties, but I have to ask what the story is on the 7 year old GL with so few miles on it.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:16 AM

gl550
seller has few vehicles, bought the car 2009 with 800 miles and barely drove the car.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
USAA may not go back that far. For my 2012 they had only one offering and it was not a whole lot of coverage for the kind of money they wanted.

When these get older so do the repairs and they are costly, so many third party warranties won't touch them.

Many third party warranty companies go bust. Unless they are backed by a good administrator. Also many don't pay out. They take your money and run!

Also many require you to use the dealer that sold you the policy so they can control the costs. If you bought from a Nissan dealer, you should be OK providing they are backing the warranty and admin of it. You can go outside but many times they start denying the coverage or the deductible goes up.

Many are backed by Fidelity, which is owned by Jim Moran in Florida. He also owns my MFG distributors in the SE. I'm not sure of the rating, but most manufactures got out of the warranty business years ago. Just from his reputation and everything the guy touches there is some scam behind it.

Always do your homework before you spend your hard earned money. Most F&I managers don't care about you, it's all about how much profit they can get out of it. The goal is to make money.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2016, 11:24 PM

gl550
Not sure what to do, there are so many bad reviews on the internet about carchex/assurant. They been calling me every day since I requested a quote. Is Fidelity a reputable company, I know Audi has been using it for along time. I called USAA but they said unless me or immediate family member is enrolled in the military, I can't get it.
I used to have mercury on my old cl500, they were great but no longer sell warranties on cars that are older then 3 years and currently not under factory warranty.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
USAA will go back 10 years.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 AM

gl550
I cant get USAA
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
USAA had only one selection when I checked back in October 2014. The coverage was not that great for the money. I am a USAA brat!

Mercury, we have on our Lexus. We got that through the Credit Union. They had a deal at the time we bought the vehicle. We had a GAP policy on our Honda that was totaled less than one month of purchase. They offered 1000.00 assistance towards a new vehicle if financed through the Credit Union and a bunch of other concessions. We have never used it. Knock on Wood! We have over 100K on the Lexus without any issues.

Most Warranty or extended warranty's require the vehicle to still be under some type of MFG warranty before they will issue an extension.

Fidelity has it's fingers in many automotive aspects. Yes, VW and Audi are some. They have the largest MFG Distributorship (Toyota) in the South East. All Owned by Jim Moran. You'll see that in fine print too at the bottom of legalese.

I'm always leery of anything a dealer sells. Life Time Warranty's? Who's life time? Your's, the seller, the buyer's the vehicle? Dealers, and third party folks go bust all the time or change hands, ect. Most of these places bank on you not keeping it past the pay off.

I've never been a fan of extended warranty's. They always find a loop hole to crawl through to avoid paying out. You have to read the fine print. Many require you to use the selling party to obtain the repair. If you don't the claim generally gets conveniently lost/denied and or the deductible gets raised or there is a huge diagnostic fee that you are responsible for.