GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Battery, key and other strange magic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 450
Battery, key and other strange magic

I just bought a used 2008 GL 450 with a long maintenance history and 106k on the clocks. No more than a 2 days later the dealer calls and says they ordered a aux battery and it is in ( good thing because the pic of the battery comes up now on the display ). As we had to wait 3 days to get it in for service I would turn the key and it would turn over as in starter engages for a few seconds then nothing. I then shut the key off, turn it to the right and the same thing. After 5 to 7 tries she would start. Finally get her in for service ( Volvo dealer BTW ) and it is not the aux batt, they replace a sensor still no joy. Today they asked if I could bring other key over as they think it is the key. Well other key starts her right up no issues and no pic of a battery on display between clocks. I change batteries in "bad" remote and now nothing, could be bad batteries as CVS is not been great on good batteries. I will be sure to get good batteries tomorrow but the search button has not been friendly to me so if this is a common issue I seemed to have missed I am sorry. Anyone have the solution or care to explain this? I assume it has to due with the EIS or Electronic Ignition Security system. To recap one key wouldn't work properly and caused a battery pic on the mfd and the other works fine. They look the same but are different in that one has a battery door with one battery(works). The other ( 2 batteries and board slides out ) doesn't start car but unlocks doors. It also now after battery replacement does nothing including unlock doors. What say you?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:25 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
I say a Volvo dealer is not equipped to deal with Mercedes key authorization and starting sequence troubleshooting.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 450
You are correct that is why they brought it to an independant MB shop and they said try other key and it worked. My key though if you will did work for the first day I think or 2 3 times. Her key is perfect
Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
If one key works it is not an eis issue. Thus you will be better off going to a Benz dealer and obtaining a new key. It will be cheaper than trying to troubleshoot eis issues. Trust me.