GL Suspension Issues - diagnosis help required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 320 / SLK 55 AMG
GL Suspension Issues - diagnosis help required

Hi,

I am having some suspension issues with my 2006 GL 320, 40K miles on it.

Everything was fine until my wife, used an underrated jack to replace a rear left wheel. The Jack lost its internal pressure and the car very slowly glided down to the road and was touching the road with the rear assembly, until a new jack was procured.

Upon replacing the wheel the ride is now rock hard all over the car, more so in the back but only slightly, rough ride is especially evident going over speed bumps.

The car appears to be level but my wife believes the car is now lower than it was.

The ADS Comfort /sport is no longer working (no light) and we cannot change the ride height also. Both stopped working a few days after the incident.

The tyre shop also commented that both rear shocks are leaking fluid, I suspect this is a pre existing issue given both sides are showing the problem.

Is this a case of the left air suspension leaking and breaking the compressor , thus affecting all four wheels ? or will a leak in one air suspension force a loss at all wheels

Help with diagnostics steps much appreciated, keen to do the fix myself.

Thanks

Jason
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM

GL 320 / SLK 55 AMG
Update

So I took the wheels off tonight and the four air springs look ok, rock hard, no bubbles when doing the spray test and attempting to change ride height

The rear left shock looks to be leaking bad, shock was covered in fresh looking oil, the right shock looked fine

Light came back on the ADR switch but would go off again after a engine restart.

Still can't change ride height, switch lights up as does console message, think I can hear the compressor, but eventually shows a car icon with up arrow from chassis showing visit workshop.

Would one bad shock cause the ride to be rock hard all over ?
Would it affect the height adjustable suspension ?

Incidentally I have a brake / tail light message as well, can that point to a problem with the rear SAM, IIRC rear SAM can make the dampening hard.

Need to find a SDS from somewhere...

Last edited by snowbash; 05-05-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
From the information you provided we have NO idea where you reside and the recommendations may be very different if you are in Africa vs San Diego.
Have you access to a dealer? if not is there competent independent help nearby?
Can you get computer diagnostics run?
Are the wheel level sensors functional? Does the electronic control module function properly?
Your spelling of 'tyre' suggests you are in the UK but?
It is ALWAYS better to let your location be known (at least generally) because there is no point in my recommending a shop in Portland, Oregon, USA if you live in OZ!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:25 AM

GL 320 / SLK 55 AMG
I am based in in Edinburgh, Scotland. There is main dealer, I don't have access to SD.

How would one go about confirming the wheel level sensors / ECM function ?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
You must have the appropriate computer diagnostic equipment (or the Chinese knock-off equivalent).
Once scanned, the system will identify which electronics and/or sensors do not work properly.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Your truck needs to be read with sds. There are many possible causes. At least I would look carefully around the hub assembly and see if a wire loom or connector has become damaged from the soft landing when the jack failed.

Your truck is old so your compressor might have become weak. You might have sprung a leak in the valve block. Check all your fuses. All three locations. But ideally your car needs to be read.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:46 PM

GL 320 / SLK 55 AMG
Thanks Guys,

I've ordered a SDS kit, will see what unfolds..

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Lee Reed (01-15-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes-Benz GL450
Originally Posted by snowbash
Thanks Guys,

I've ordered a SDS kit, will see what unfolds..

Cheers
What ended up being the source of your troubles? Did SDS point you to the cause of the problem?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
You should consider setting it on fire. The GL is unreliable to the point of lawsuit. I’m now on my *11th and 12th* replacement air struts.