GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Extended warranty recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Question Extended warranty recommendations

Is there a particular third-party warrantor or plan that someone could recommend?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Yoni94
Is there a particular third-party warrantor or plan that someone could recommend?
I have Continental. It's worked ok this far. I think in the future I'll just put the cost of an extended warranty in a bank account and draw down on that instead.
The following users liked this post:
rbenedetti (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by joshd2012
I have Continental. It's worked ok this far. I think in the future I'll just put the cost of an extended warranty in a bank account and draw down on that instead.
i’m just about to buy a GLE 580 next week, and am thinking the same, i.e. rather than spending $6500 for a seven year 75,000 mile extended warranty, put that money in the bank and draw from it when I need to. Out of curiosity, have you had to get a lot of repairs? How long have you owned your car? Also, have you had any wheel or tire issues, as that is another warranty I am considering forgoing. Thanks much!
Old 12-23-2022, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
@admin, please move to not ancient GL type forum.

what’s a GL580? Like 130 better than a 450?
But just slightly better than a 550?
Was the 550 a hundred better than the 450, though?

Tune in next week to find out.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
@admin, please move to not ancient GL type forum.
I prefer the term "vintage".

FYI, the GLE580 is actually a thing: https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/mo...e/suv/gle580w4
Old 12-23-2022, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by rbenedetti
i’m just about to buy a GLE 580 next week, and am thinking the same, i.e. rather than spending $6500 for a seven year 75,000 mile extended warranty, put that money in the bank and draw from it when I need to. Out of curiosity, have you had to get a lot of repairs? How long have you owned your car? Also, have you had any wheel or tire issues, as that is another warranty I am considering forgoing. Thanks much!
We owned our GL320 for three years and it was constantly in for repairs. The last straw was that the bearings went in the front differential, and MB only sells the entire front drive system (and not a bearing kit or even just the differential).

Once the warranty was up, we traded in the car for (what ended up being) a much more reliable Acura MDX. Our repair bills were so bad that we actually made out on the warranty- which probably explains why they never asked us to buy another few years.

I really liked that GL when it worked, but I never had so much trouble with a brand. German, Japanese or Domestic - MB was the worst.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by joshd2012
We owned our GL320 for three years and it was constantly in for repairs. The last straw was that the bearings went in the front differential, and MB only sells the entire front drive system (and not a bearing kit or even just the differential).

Once the warranty was up, we traded in the car for (what ended up being) a much more reliable Acura MDX. Our repair bills were so bad that we actually made out on the warranty- which probably explains why they never asked us to buy another few years.

I really liked that GL when it worked, but I never had so much trouble with a brand. German, Japanese or Domestic - MB was the worst.
The diesel motors carry with them a generous grab bag of headaches.

It is difficult for me to assess whether the long term quality of this GL is better or worse than comparables. MB has a tendency to make things nifty but in the process greatly sacrificing reliability. Certainly, if you are relying on MB as sole provider of parts, you make things hard on yourself. For example, you can get a transfer case chain for about $100; MB will only sell you the complete transfer case at some $000's. You mention the differential bearing; there is nothing magic about things like differentials, and Rock Auto sells the bearings for $16 each. Remember that MB buys whole subassemblies; hence these whole-module issues.

I owned a 2005 Honda Accord, and it literally had zero issues in its first ~30k miles. I bought my GL at similar mileage, and my heart sank when I got the dealership to send me its service records. It was a stack of paper a quarter inch thick.

I feel like MB vehicles have worse service performance in the first 50-100k miles, but then settles into a rhythm at moderately better than other makes. The individual parts all seem very sturdy, more so than typical Japanese makes. I'll admit, though, that my experience is very narrow.

My gripes are less with specific reliability than with clumsy design. The swaybar bushings are literally designed to rip apart internally. Carbon on intake valves is enough of a problem it is mentioned in the owner's manual, but the engine computer is incapable of self diagnosis of that problem. MB pretends the transmission fluid is "lifetime, except with one change at 40k miles" and so they eliminate the dipstick. Transmission rebuilders have told me it is quite a nice transmission, very sturdy, but you have to ignore MB's recommendations. And the big one, which is a death blow to many a GL: Water can leak in via multiple points and accumulate in little wells in which sensitive electronics are located. One could argue these things are reliability, but they are a sort of derivative reliability: Design weaknesses drive component failure.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 12-23-2022 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlownV8 (12-24-2022)