GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Yet another airmatic question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Yet another airmatic question

Hello all, i have an 08 GL 450, here lately the rear both sides lower overnight but only if i lock the doors?!?!? If i leave the truck unlocked the suspension stays at the correct height, i know if it drops i have a leak somwhere or bags are going bad but its never one side its always both and it only lowers if i lock the doors. has anyone had this issue? is there a valve/distributor block i can check? location of said block would be great thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I know the wife had to have the airmatic function on the car,-------- the quickest solution is find someone with DAS Xentry or equal run a quick test which will determine the fault---then you fixit!!

Otherwise, this is going to linger like and old fart while you look at the 20 or so components that make up the system!!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
Just totally guessing here, but what the heck.

If I don't lock the doors on my BMW, it takes quite a while for it to "go to sleep". So my guess is that your leak is small enough that it takes several hours for the problem to surface/show itself. If you don't lock your car maybe there's not quite enough time?

Guess number two: we have the comfort access feature turned on (I think that's what it is called, it lowers the suspension when the car is locked to make it easier to climb in when you unlock it). I believe the car must be locked to activate. So...no lock, no premature pressure release for comfort access. Lock the SUV and some of the pressure is let out to lower the vehicle. Again, if there's a small leak this would give things a head start for sagging.

BTW, the rear air springs are NOT that difficult to replace yourself. I used Arnott and they have a lifetime warranty. It seems that most people are only getting 60-70k/miles before the springs go bad (but usually the front first). So depending on your mileage it might be time anyway.

Good luck!