Device Incompatible Really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320
Device Incompatible Really?

Hello:

I purchased a 2009 GL320 this past week in excellent condition . I went to the MB dealer and they sold me Ipod cable, MBpart#A0038270404 to connect with Ipod connector located in the glove box. When I go into Media Interface menu in Comand, both my Iphone 6, and my older Ipod Nano show as device incompatible" on the screen. I am of course able to select Aux and use Aux cable for both Iphone and Ipod and listen to music. This however precludes Comand of its steering controls for music selection. Can anyone tell me if the part number I have it just the wrong one, whether my Apple products just aren't compatible, or if any kind of reset needs to be done? I'd like to think a firmware update isn't required. According to MB my VIN was reviewed to show there isn't one to be done at this time. I'm at a loss, and want to at least be able to use my Ipod to listen to music. I'll use Aux cable to play streamed music from Iphone.

Thank you,
Andrew Sugg
Durham NC
Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
iPhone 6 didn't exist when your car was designed/built. It is also doubtful if the manufactures such as Mercedes make any effort to upgrade electronic interfaces to handle non automotive products built after your car left the factory.
You MAY be able to find something at a car electronics outlet such as CarToys.
For now you are stuck with the aux input and the volume and mute controls on the steering wheel.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 AM

2008 GL320
Don't know if this is across the board or not, but the issue came down to an incorrect cable. The initial clerk at the local MB dealer looked it up by my VIN number, which came up with part number A. The next clerk a few days later looked it up by year and model on the accessories list (presumably a different database?) and came up with part number B. They appear almost identical. Part B worked like a charm. Song name, and playlists show up. Even on my iphone I'm able to stream music from Apple Music service. Pandora worked too. A pain that this process required so much legwork, but it worked out in the end. Thanks for Fourdiesel for replying.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
Fourdiesel is correct. The engineering was not built for the iPhone lightning cord in mind for your phone. Mercedes is awful with the infotainment center! Mercedes does not make a cord for the lightning branded phones until the 2013 model year appeared. You can buy the Apple OEM 30 pin to lightning adapter or the VISEEO Bluetooth adapter. Neither one work that great. So don't place your eggs all in one basket as you'll be disappointed big time! The OEM Apple cords are the only thing that works. the knock off or eBay purchases end in failure. Yes my kids Honda beater works 100% flawless! the Germans were like Apple what!
Old 11-19-2016, 01:15 PM

GL 350CDI BlueEfficiency
Originally Posted by andrewsugg
Don't know if this is across the board or not, but the issue came down to an incorrect cable. The initial clerk at the local MB dealer looked it up by my VIN number, which came up with part number A. The next clerk a few days later looked it up by year and model on the accessories list (presumably a different database?) and came up with part number B. They appear almost identical. Part B worked like a charm. Song name, and playlists show up. Even on my iphone I'm able to stream music from Apple Music service. Pandora worked too. A pain that this process required so much legwork, but it worked out in the end. Thanks for Fourdiesel for replying.
What was the part number that worked for you?