GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

THANKS to all, sagging strut...loss of oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gl 450
THANKS to all, sagging strut...loss of oil?

Thank you very much to everyone who responded to my endless stream of new threads and me responding to, and editing, my own threads. I'll try to clean up my act moving forward.

I installed a new Arnott left front strut and my problem of intermittent LF sagging seems to be solved AND much to my surprise I was pleased to notice that some former owner had installed an Arnott on the RF.

Now, where is my oil going? About 1 qt./1k miles. All spark plugs are burning a nice shade of brown (zero fouling or evidence of oil). Compression is good and even in all cylinders ~115 psi. Cam housing plugs and the area around them are free of oil. No evidence of oil leaking in the bell housing area or anywhere else. No drips of oil on the garage floor.

WHAT THE HECK?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
No.exhaust smoke? Coolant is clean?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 PM

gl 450
No, No exhaust smoke and coolant is clean. If there was exhaust smoke I'd expect to have had at least one oily, wet or black spark plug and they were all dry and tan in color. I would also have expected to have had at least one cylinder with low compression and I didn't.

NB: Arnott failed to show in their front strut installation video that you have to compress the old strut some to get it out and you have to do the same to get the new one in. At least I had to. I used a tie-down strap with a ratchet tightener and it worked very well.

Where's the freak'in oil going?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
EWT

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 07 Audi A4
Originally Posted by 1xsculler
NB: Arnott failed to show in their front strut installation video that you have to compress the old strut some to get it out and you have to do the same to get the new one in. At least I had to. I used a tie-down strap with a ratchet tightener and it worked very well.
The Arnott video does make it look easier than it really is, although it isn't terribly complicated. With the sway bar loose, the lower control arm will lower enough to get the old one out and the new one in without compressing them, although it does take some force and wiggling to get things in/out. The video also makes it look like the upper control arm slips right off after unbolting, which wasn't the case with mine. I had to use a ball joint tool to pop both of mine loose.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 PM

gl 450
It was a fairly simple DIY for me too but no matter how hard I pulled the lower
a-arm down I couldn't get the strut out without compressing it an inch or two. Yes, I disconnected the upper anti-sway bar link. I was afraid I would damage the outer C-V joint rubber boot had I tried to remove the strut without compressing it some.