GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Carbon build-up in EGR tube GL 350 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Carbon build-up in EGR tube GL 350 2012

I have a 2012 GL 350 Bluetec with 70k miles with an extended MB warranty. Last week, I took it to dealer for the 70k mile service plus a Check engine light that came on weeks before. The EGR valve was found faulty and replaced under the extended MB warranty. A day after I picked the car, the Check engine light came on again. I was able to take the car in yesterday to the same dealer and they came back saying that the there is carbon build-up on the tube that leads to the EGR, and that it will not be covered because its a maintenance item to clean carbon build-up. Are they correct? It seems that the faulty part from last week, the EGR valve, by being stuck, produced this carbon build-up in the tube. Its a system's failure and therefore should be covered ($382). There is nowhere in the service manual that says that Carbon should be flushed out of this line during routine service intervals. I have taken this GL to the same dealer at every 10k interval and done whatever its needed. They have never offered this carbon cleaning, or shown to me that its called for by their service bulletins. For them to say this seems just outrageous. Please advice. Already called MB customer service but haven't got the call back from the appropriate rep. Many thanks
Old 07-06-2016, 03:32 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Funny dealer.

There is no such maintenance item.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
97 s320
they should have cleaned it when they replaced the egr
The following users liked this post:
Blueline205 (01-01-2019)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
the dealer said: "...it will not be covered because its a maintenance item to clean carbon build-up."
You should point out to them that YOU paid THEM to do all the maintenance done to date on the truck. Therefore, if they missed this, it is on their nickle (or dime). Ask them to show you where - in writing - they told you it needed to be done and where you told them 'no'. If they still balk ask them to justify why you should pay them to do ANY more maintenance on this vehicle since they don't stand behind what they have already done.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Geez

Nowhere is decarbonizing a prescribed preventative maintenance item.

Do you have another dealer in town?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
Update: the service rep called and left a message that they were going to "goodwill" the carbon clean up repair. Soon after, the MB customer service rep called and said that they talked to the dealer and that the dealer told her the same, that they were going to goodwill the repair. I agree with everyone that has responded and I thank you. Even though its no-cost to us out-of-pocket, I am still offended that they call this "goodwill". I have a MB warranty, and this is a system failure somehow, with nowhere else being said that a decarbonizing procedure is mandated on the maintenance schedule for this diesel engine, like u all have mentioned. The car is not ready yet, so perhaps they have found other issues. but, what Im guessing too is that the dealer did not clean the tube leading to or from the EGR the first time it was brought to them, something that I would think they would logically also look at if the original problem was a stuck EGR valve due to excess carbon build-up. Who knows what goes on in those places. I just wish they came out truthfully and say, "Hey, we screwed up, we should have cleaned that part too, sorry for the inconvenience." But instead, they blow a lot of hot air and lie. Sound familiar?