GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

AdBlue DEF tank leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GL350, 2005 BMW X5 4.8is, 2015 BMW 328d
AdBlue DEF tank leaking

Noticed my 2010 GL350 Bluetec was having white spots on the back of the SUV. Washed off with no ill effects. Looking at the back of the SUV, noticed white paint-like stain underneath AdBlue tank. My heart dropped, I thought to myself, another grand in repairs.
I just had the dealership replace the heater after the code went off and failed smog testing. It was 3days $1200 in repairs and no loaner to boot.

I figured there might be a puncture in the ABS tank from road shrapnel or likewise. I crawled underneath and saw the tank had a protective shroud and AdBlue was leaking from the weep holes.

By some glint of fortune it dawned on me to check the filler neck in the tank.

It was caked in DEF fluid and crystallized. Had the dealership left the cap off? or was there sabotage to get me back into the dealership so I can pay for a new tank costing thousands of dollars?

Nope I noticed there was an O-Ring at the filler neck.

I was hopeful that I could stave off thousands in repairs by just a 2 cent O-Ring, blessed be the auto repair gods.

I took a small screwdriver with a blunted tip and removed the O-Ring, replaced it with one of similar diameter but more thickness, put some silicone O-Ring grease, and I was done.
I washed off the crystals with a slow stream from the garden hose onto my lawn(grass loves urea as a nitrogen source). The water and dissolved crystals went through the weep holes and I was done. Put everything back and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll repost in about 3 weeks to update. BTW it never looks this clean, I usually have a roll of Duct Tape, towing strap/hook, 911 fuel-aid, tarp, and ratchet straps.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GL350, 2005 BMW X5 4.8is, 2015 BMW 328d
follow up: DEF leaking

So the problem never went away, I was stil getting DEF all over the back.

I looked around other posts about dropping the tank, so I can see firsthand the DEF asmbly. I found the leak and a tiny o-ring was left out of a previous DEF heater replacement by the dealership, all around the time the leak started. Here's a link to Keith's great DEF DIY, at the bottom is my response.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post6903012
Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 w211 e320 wagon, 1973 Alfa Romeo Berlina
Originally Posted by drgeeforce
So the problem never went away, I was stil getting DEF all over the back.

I looked around other posts about dropping the tank, so I can see firsthand the DEF asmbly. I found the leak and a tiny o-ring was left out of a previous DEF heater replacement by the dealership, all around the time the leak started. Here's a link to Keith's great DEF DIY, at the bottom is my response.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post6903012
I just dropped our tank and found the same problem. Someone had replaced the heater assembly and didn’t replace the o-ring. I’m heading to the hardware Store tomorrow to pick up a few and hope that solves our massive leak.

Thanks!
Ian