GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Electrical Issue with rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Electrical Issue with rain

Hey guys I am trying to see if anyone has had or heard of any electrical short problems, I have a 08 GL 450, that lately ONLY when it rains I get all kinds of error messages. It first started out as saying my trailer lights where out and my brake lights were out but I had no trailer connected, so assuming it was a common hitch connector issue I checked and rewrapped the connector but it was dry anyway. When this would happen my brake lights on the truck would stay on weather I was depressing the brake pedal or not. As soon as the rain stops and everything dries we are back to normal everything works fine! Yesterday with a torrential down pour I started the truck (havn't driven anywhere yet) and again brake lights not working but now I get all kinds of SRS messages along with my horn slightly beeping my gas hand doesn't work and my wipers quit working talk about a fun time but now today everything has dried and working as normal except for my gas guage? Any one have any recommendations as to a gremlin I checked around for water in places where it isnt supposed to be with no luck.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you have issues with one or both of the SAM's. The bad news is that you need factory or equal diagnostic software to corroborate my WAG as you can DIY your **** off and still not solve the problem!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 08-03-2016 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
newbizie (08-07-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:27 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
your rear sam (connector) is getting water. you need to check for wetness and leaks.

the sam is located passenger side rear near the fuse block
The following users liked this post:
newbizie (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Originally Posted by alx
your rear sam (connector) is getting water. you need to check for wetness and leaks.

the sam is located passenger side rear near the fuse block
Yep found the cotton material was soaking wet it has mostly dried but i think it may have permanitly damaged the sam because my rear hatch constantly says its open and my battery just died because something will not turn off i dont know exactly what yet but i can hear a slight buzz when i enter the truck
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Your rear hatch lock might need to adjusted. They become misaligned with time and might not be rain related. If the hatch is ajar it will drain battery. When it buzzes try to push firmly with both hands hatch down and see if buzzing stops.

However, first you need to blow compressed air in the plug and connector of the Sam. There is water in there. If drying everything doesn't help then adjust hatch.

And goes without saying- find the leak.