GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Keyless Go - doors not lock, radio not shutting off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL 450
Keyless Go - doors not lock, radio not shutting off

Hi, everyone. I have a problem with my 2012 GL 450 that has Keyless Go. I brought to Mercedes service twice already to solve/fix the issue, but they still have not been able to figure it out.

Here is the issue:
- The GL will sometimes (could be 3 times in 1 day, or once in 2 weeks...no pattern here) "think" it is not fully turned off when I push the Keyless Go starter on/off button to turn off the engine.
- While the engine does shut off, when I open the door to leave, the radio stays on, the steering wheel does not move up, and the doors will not lock (not manually pushing the interior button, not putting my hand on the door, not using my key fob to lock it).
- In order to temporarily and manually solve the problem, I need to pull off the Keyless Go on/off button, and insert my key. I turn it to the right one click (like it is in "AUX" mode just for radio, windows, etc. to work) without starting the engine, and then I turn it back left to off. At this point, steering wheel will move up, radio shuts off, and I can lock the doors. Magical. I then put the Keyless Go button back in and leave.
- This could happen multiple times in 1 day, or could not happen for a few weeks or a month, just "appears" again.
- Mercedes service has updated the "computer", has replaced the Keyless Go button, has even replaced the entire radio/screen/system since they thought it had some issues (all under warranty at least).

Basically, from what I can tell, it "thinks" that I only turned off the engine, but left the "key" in the AUX mode (is that right?) to allow the radio to stay on even after opening the car, and the steering wheel stays down and the doors are not allowed to lock. Using the key manually without that on/off button attached, then no problem.

Dealer has no idea what the problem is, even looking into my computer at the exact time stamps I recorded, no anomalies found. All software updates added. New on/off button. The two key fobs I have both have new batteries, both will have the same problem happen (most likely not those keys).

Anyone have the same issue, ever hear about this issue? Any ideas on what MB service can do further? I am not sure what to do here, and really would like it solved before the warranty runs out for sure.

Thanks,
-Vincent
Old 09-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL320, 2007 ML350, 2014 CLA 250
Keyless Go - doors do nto lock, radio not shutting off

Your driver side door switch might be sticky. It might not sense that you've opened the door and the computer thinks you're still in the vehicle and just turned off the engine. This usually happens when parked in a tight spot and the door is not fully opened.