GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Transmission mechanical problem?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 CDI
Transmission mechanical problem?

Hi all,

After I have replaced my glow plug module, power tail gate lock, 2 set of airmatic springs, steering rack and other consumables, I thought the car should be running smooth and nice again....

and..... I am wrong!

Last Thursday when I was driving home, the transmission/gear shift feels a little funny, and I was taking it easy to home. On Friday when starts up, the gear change especially from N->1 and from 1->2, it feels very "crunching". But after mid way to work, it feel fine again.

During lunch around my work place there was an steep uphill, and when I kick down, the problem starts again. But this time onward it didn't go away.

Toward the end of the day, when I put the gear in D (drive) and release the brake (and park brake, of course), the car is not moving forward. It is trying, but it's not. I have leave it like that for 20 seconds and see if it will eventually move? But it didn't.

Gear change on the 1->2->3 getting more difficult. In between the gear change the rev will goes up like you step on the accelerator in "N" (rev up, gear slowly "slipped" in)

Turn off the car for a while and starts again, condition didn't improve.

Then I try to put it in reverse, it reverse just fine. Release the brake the car goes backward instantly.

So only going forward has the problem.

The car has been driven 200,000+km (125,000+miles) now. Has been regularly serviced and most of the time it has oil changed earlier than it needed to be.

Currently it's at mechanic and I have been told there are not error codes coming out from the computer. He feels it's going to be the expensive exercise of changing the entire transmission.

I have read thru most of the thread about transmission here but most don't have identical problem of mine. So would like to see if anyone can shed some lights.

Kind regards,
Andy
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
With all the shift issues, I seriously doubt that your mechanics diagnostic equipment is working----find a mechanic that understands MB and has the diagnostic equipment to tell you the correct story!!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
tranny oil needs to be changed at 37k miles and then every 50k miles or thereabouts. assuming this was done and your oil level is correct (no leaks) read below:

you need a mechanic that is skilled with reading 722.9 with star/ das. clutch pack circuit oil pressures needs to be read and evaluated. if good - read below:

my guess is if the tranny pan is removed you will find clutch material deposits and/or metal shavings. your tranny is slipping and your lower gears clutch packs are gone. if oil pan is clean read below:

your tq converter is suspect

Last edited by alx; 08-23-2016 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
andylo (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320 CDI
Thanks for the reply.

Will report back on the findings.