Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:56 PM
MB+

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB GL450 x164
How to correctly install HID+RELAY+ERROR Canceller

Please bare w/ me on this.

Specs:
1x 40A relay for H7 (for low beam headlight)
1 HID kit 5,000K Kensun H7 kit 55w
2 x error canceller
1 GL 450

Fearing what might happen if there isn't a relay I decided to get one. The relay is such that it says to connect to only one headlight harness (not to mention there is a connection that can be only attached to one). When installing just the relay to the headlight it works perfectly, however, later shows an error code for both lights on dashboard.

Now, when installation an error canceller only to the right headlight side the relay starts to buzz and also the error only shows up for the left headlight and not right. Funny thing is that the relay, so it seems, has a connection to be connected to only ONE headlight-- that being nearest battery terminal.

Am I connecting it wrong? Is there anyone who can sketch up a diagram on how to correctly hook up relay+error canceller+ HID for me. I've included some pics of what I found on the internet as it's said to hook up only one canceller. However, I have two at my disposal.

HID kit I purchased : link

The canceller: link

Actual relay: Link 40a .... #6 is connected to the car harness headlight

What I found online:

I would really really appreciate if someone can draw up where to connect or if anyone has done this before or a video they can share.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
please do not ghettify your truck.

hids on reflector headlight = ghetto

not to mention you are putting less light on the road and more light up on trees, road signs, oncoming traffic folks, etc.

if you want to do it right you need to retrofit focusing lenses in front of those hids.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 PM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
I agree with you ALX, but these will be installed on the original projector housing of the GL450. I hate it when I get blinded by oncoming and I wouldn't want to be doing that to others. I can get them to turn on and such that it's only a color difference, not intensity when all is said and done and inspected. It doesn't blind anyone when I checked from half a block to one block away in its original housing. :-)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The GL with halogens uses projector lenses and they will have a sharp cutoff line. They are not like reflector lenses where the light will be scattered all over the place. I did a write up on switching to HID bulbs in the stock Hella projector and posted pictures of the light pattern. It is a very solid cutoff line with excellent light throw and far superior lighting than the stock halogens.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 AM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
BlownV8, I've just finished reading your thread and it's replies within, very informative. I tried to click on the images but they won't load on your attachment in that thread or anyone else's for that matter. I see you installed them in the headlight... how has it been so far any heat issue? Also, I'm trying to add a relay. The link which you have up for the original purchase no longer provides capacitor so they may have changed it on ebay. I'm able to install the HID kit + error canceller directly to the headlight without any issue or error. The problem becomes that there is a hint of yellow in the light when I do this. However, when using a relay I get the true brilliant white color so from there I know it's getting the full juice directly from battery. Thus, my wanting to know how to connect the ballast to relay with the canceller, all in one while doing something with the left over headlight housing that wont be in use but gives error code-- how to bypass that.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:21 PM
MB+

MB GL450 x164
Bump