GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Loud Clunk on Max Raised Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 gl450
Loud Clunk on Max Raised Level

years ago at 60,000 miles. Now it is 81,000 miles. Been blessed so far.
Recently I changed the rear left Air Suspension (Not OEM) for $60 shipped. Happy with the price BUT after I installed it, it works perfect. However, after I raised to MAX height and drive, immediately a very loud "clunk noise" (hard to describe) appeared on the front driver wheel area. It sounds very clunky as soon as I step on the gas pedal. It also sounds like metal to metal hitting each other at a certain point everytime the wheel spin one round. It happens during take off (even lightly) and continue to bang at the point at every revolution of the tire. Also sounds like stress to some joint on the front strut that needa greasing. If you release the gas pedal and ride it, no sound. Weird!!!! WHEN LOWERED and drive. Nothing happens, beautiful. So, I am only driving on lowered at the moment. The sound is so loud, it seems like something might break. Has this ever happen to anybody, where you have bad clunking sound coming from the wheel and/or front strut?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
If replacing with aftermarket you should always replace both sides.

On the clunk on the front- it is possible your truck is sitting too high and might need to be brought down a bit.

It is possible also that your cv joint is dying.

There could be many sources of your problem.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 gl450
Thank You. Much appreciated. I did replaced the other side as well since it was so cheap. I did save the original though . My initial thought were the same. It is still the same issue and does not go away.