GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic replacement options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL350
I wish it was only Airmatic problems!

Earlier this year I replaced the front air springs on my 2010 GL350 with Arnott, and am very happy. I chose not to replace the rear bags at that time, hoping to get a few more years. Alas, one is now leaking, so here we go again.
But when I went to order Arnott air springs for the rear, there appear to be more options than just Arnott and Bilstein (or reman). There is now a brand DEDC that sells for about half the price of the Arnott. Anyone have experience with these? We're talking $80-85 each, vs $160-$180 for Arnott. I like Arnott and will probably support them because they are USA and stand behing their product, but a 50% savings... That's pretty good.
Not really interested in the Bilsteins anyway. I've come to the conclusion that Mercedes OEM is designed to last the life of a typical lease, 4 years or 60,000 miles, but no more.

Last edited by Callisto1; 09-21-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
There are a few other options out there i chose to stick with arnotts because of the lifetime warranty
Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM

2010 GL350
Arnott is definitely the safe choice. Quality product and they stand behind it. (So I did order the rear bags from them to be safe.) Still wondering though about the DEDC or other 3rd party products. Curious for the good of the forum, not that it will matter for me. Having replaced with Arnott, I should be good as long as I hold onto this lemon of a Mercedes.
(I have never posted my litany of repairs on this 6 year, 60,000 mile vehicle, which was originally owned by the AUSTRIAN EMBASSY in Washington DC. They put 18k on it in 18 months and then traded it in. The fact that the Austrians dumped it so quickly should have tipped me off!)
I will try to collect and post the repair history tomorrow, which should make everyone else feel better about their own troubles!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:05 PM

2010 GL350
As promised, here is the sad, exhausting saga of all the failures with my GL350 Bluetec, that for the first 15 months and 15k miles, was owned by the Austrian Embassy in Washington DC. It should give pause to anyone who thinks these diesels have anything like the durability of the diesel Mercedes from the late 70s and 80s.

April 2010, purchased (leased?) by the Austrian embassy.

August 2010, 15,000 miles. Returned to MB dealer. Sold at auction, and purchased by dealer in Brooklyn, NY. (All this confirmed through MB dealer and CarFax, including copies of original title issued by US Dept of State.) VIN searches of service records show car had regular service at Alexandria VA dealer, with no unusual issues. No record of collision or other damage.

September 2011, 15,000 miles. I purchase vehicle while on a business trip to NYC & NJ, staying with my brother and his family in Brooklyn. I live in Miami, so after a week in NY and NJ, I take the Amtrak auto train from VA to FL. 16 hours on train is a great opportunity to read the owners manual!

Feb 2012, 20,000 miles. Service B performed at Mercedes Benz of Coral Gables FL, where I have been a regular customer since 1998 first with an E320 wagon, and later with an R350. No issues with either of those vehicles.

Aug 2012, 25,000 miles. My wife is in North Carolina with kids getting ready to drive back to Miami when Adblue alert warns of limited starts remaining. Confusing, because didn’t dealer just fill tank during Service B? With prospect of stranding family at highway rest stop, I tell me wife to take it to Asheville NC dealer. They add 16 bottles of Adblue at $14.75 each. Expensive lesson. From now on, I will refill it myself!

October 2012, 27,000 miles. ABS/ESP malfunction error. Wheels lock up at low speed. Coral Gables dealer replaces Left rear speed sensor.

December 2012, 28,000 miles. Check Engine Light. Coral Gables dealer evacuates Adblue tank, replaces heating element and refills tank. (Like you need a heating element in Miami!)

April 2013, 30,000 miles. Service A performed at CG dealer. I mention that automatic transmission sometimes shifts “hard” on both upshifts and downshifts. Service advisor later reports they “updated the firmware for the transmission.” Right, whatever.

May 2013, 31,000 miles. Antitheft warning lights up in instrument cluster. Unable to use COMAND system for radio, navigation or hands free phone. CG dealer service reports says, ”VIN # not in actual values. Write VIN#.” I later see that farther down the service record is the notation, “Recommend Adblue Evacuate and Refill. Recommend replace diesel fuel filter.” Hmmmm, they said they emptied and refilled the tank at 28,000. And Service B at 20,000 includes replacing the fuel filter.

July 2013, 32,000 miles. Driving to NC with family and pets, vehicle begins losing power on interstate approaching Columbia SC at 3pm in 98 degree heat. Limp into Columbia dealer, who investigates and reports diesel fuel filter was never changed by Coral Gables dealer during regular service. Unfortunately, it is now 430pm and too late for them to change it before closing. Drive remaining 250 miles to NC at 45-50mph, and get filter changed next day in Asheville, NC.

Aug-Nov 2013. 33-36,000 miles. Intermittent ESP/ABS warning light comes on, during which time cruise control won’t operate. Other days, car drives fine.

Nov 2013, 36,000 miles. Engine cranks but won’t start. Stuck at home. Flatbed tows car to CG dealer. Replaces fuel pump. Dealer finally admits they coded my vehicle in their system as gas not diesel. Even though they charged me for diesel service, the computer ticket did not tell technician to check Adblue or replace diesel fuel filter at prior service visits.

Dec 10, 2013, 36,400 miles. ABS/ESP malfunction error. Wheels lock up at low speed. Coral Gables dealer replaces ALL FOUR wheel speed sensors under their new “Fix it right the first time!” philosophy.”

Dec 23, 2013, 36,600 miles. ABS/ESP malfunction error. Wheels lock up at low speed. Coral Gables dealer replaces all four wheel speed sensors. AGAIN! I guess dealer flunked Philosophy 101.

Dec 26, 2013, 36,700 miles. ABS/ESP malfunction error. Wheels lock up at low speed. Coral Gables dealer replaces “Steering Control Module.” I look into a local college philosophy course in Zen Buddhism.

January 2014, 37,000 miles. Car fails to start one hour after 60 mile drive. In national park with no cell service. After 30 minutes charging battery with jumper cables, car finally starts. Dealer insists battery is fine, that I must have “left a light on.”

March 2014. Attempt to negotiate 3 month extension to warranty with MBUSA. Tell them I don’t want to keep the car if it can’t go 6 months without serious repair. If they give me 3 more months and car has no more problems, I will buy extended warranty. They say no, and I’m not willing to shell out $3500 for a warranty on car I might dump in a few months.

May 2014, 39,000 miles. Warranty expired a few weeks ago. When starting car, delay until cranking gets longer, and cranking is slower. Battery definitely shot. Thanks, MB of Coral Gables. Told you so. I replace battery myself with Sears DieHard. Do MB designers make battery replacement this difficult on purpose?

July 2014 and 2015. Regular dealer maintenance performed during summer trips to Asheville NC. Never again with the inept MB Coral Gables. No new problems! Hallelujah! Maybe holding onto vehicle without extended warranty is going to work out.

Yeah, right. My decision not to purchase extended warranty turns out to be worst decision since US invasion of Iraq.

January 2016. 55,000 miles. Power loss similar to when fuel filter was clogged, but filter was changed only 5,000 miles ago. Stuck in FL, so take car to Pompano dealer who diagnoses bad glow plug module, and a problem with turbo pressure sensor? Also recommends new fuel filter to be safe. Several days and a couple grand later, when I pick up car the service tech notices front left of car sagging and quotes $2400 to replace front struts. No thanks. I buy Arnotts for $700 and install myself.

June 2016, 59,000 miles. Prior to annual NC summer drive, change oil and transmission fluid myself. Notice thick grey paste dripping near front differential. Engine mounts leaking! Decide to let Asheville dealer handle it.

July 2016, 60,000 miles. Drive to NC, and next day discover oil cooler seals leaking like a sieve. Only consolation is that Asheville dealer agrees there is some overlap in labor by doing engine mounts and oil cooler at same time. It still runs almost $5000!

September 2016, 63,000 miles. Did I mention the rear air shocks are now leaking as well? Yes, that’s what started this post/rant. Order new Arnotts for the rear…

And coming soon to a garage nearby, the blockbuster YouTube movie we’re all going to watch whether we like it or not,
Timing Chain Replacement!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:35 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Callisto1
April 2010, purchased (leased?) by the Austrian embassy.