GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How many would purchase another Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 Mercedes GL450
How many would purchase another Mercedes?

I purchased a 2011 GL450 about 3 years ago. The truck now has about 75,000 miles on it. The vehicle was CPO when I purchased it and came with the standard 1 year extra warranty. Since the warranty expired in May of this year, the thing has become a money pit. In the last 2 months I have had to replace the radiator due to a crack, both front airmatic shocks, intake manifold, and the aromatic compressor and relays, all to the tune of about $7500. This is the first Mercedes that I have owned having purchased Lexus and Toyota products in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the thing drives, but I don't think I would purchase another Mercedes again. Any other of you share the same experience? My Mercedes mechanic says all these things are normal wear and tear. My 2012 Toyota Tundra has 180,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to replace on it is brakes and tires. How can such a high end luxury vehicle be so unreliable?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
radiator crack is not normal.

shocks going out is normal, but at 75k miles they went a little too soon. i normally see them go at around 100-120k miles for the fronts and rear struts. the rear airbags usually are done by 50k miles.

the airmatic compressor went because the shocks went

the intake manifold was replaced because the flapper assembly went. they are flimsy. not normal, but i can see it be done at 75k depending on the phase of the moon.

you can own and maintain a benz out of warranty as long as you find a good independent mechanic that knows mercedeses (about 25-50% off labor rates compared to dealer) and you have enough knowledge to source parts from the internet retailers (about 33-50% off dealer prices). if you rely on the dealer for all repairs owning a benz will generally be a somewhat an expensive proposition.

Last edited by alx; 10-06-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 Mercedes GL450
I do understand that they are expensive to maintain and that is expected. I just fear the reliability is not up to par with other brands. Here's hoping I go two years or more without something other than brakes, tires, and routine maintenance. Maybe it's just a coincidence that these all happened within three months of each other.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The reliability is not up to Toyota/Honda standards but my GL450 has been my most reliable and we'll built MB yet. Yes, even better than the two 210 E classes I owned. You would really be crying bloody murder if you owned a V12 ABC equipped MB.

Many MB owners have the attitude that you have to pay to play but, given the purchase price, they should be more reliable than Toyota/Honda and not less reliable. I like the product but I don't like the fact the navigation/command is always 5 years behind the times yet the other do dads that seem to break all the time are 5 years ahead of their ready date.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Allybear21
I purchased a 2011 GL450 about 3 years ago. The truck now has about 75,000 miles on it. The vehicle was CPO when I purchased it and came with the standard 1 year extra warranty. Since the warranty expired in May of this year, the thing has become a money pit. In the last 2 months I have had to replace the radiator due to a crack, both front airmatic shocks, intake manifold, and the aromatic compressor and relays, all to the tune of about $7500. This is the first Mercedes that I have owned having purchased Lexus and Toyota products in the past. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the thing drives, but I don't think I would purchase another Mercedes again. Any other of you share the same experience? My Mercedes mechanic says all these things are normal wear and tear. My 2012 Toyota Tundra has 180,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to replace on it is brakes and tires. How can such a high end luxury vehicle be so unreliable?
My Audis have been much more reliable, so I think I'll be going with a Q7 next time. This experience has soured me to the brand.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
I've driven BMWs for the past 23 years and have found that while they will almost always get you where you are going (i.e. the drivetrains are robust) they are very maintenance intensive. Cooling systems seem to be the least reliable system (too much plastic) and emissions related items a close second. I think most German cars are less reliable than a comparable Toyota (Porsche tend to be the standout, though they've had plenty of issues too; see the intermediate shaft problems the 911 had the previous two models - 996 and 997.)

My 2012 GL 350 is my first Benz, and its been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned, by far. At 53,000 miles, it's had major work done that should not be necessary at such low mileage (all under warranty at this point, aside from the maintenance I've done). I'm a good mechanic, haven't had non-warranty work done by a shop in more than 15 years on any car I've owned, so I'm not deterred. The only thing that I see that will be difficult is if there are electrical problems that need to be diagnosed with DAS, then I'll have to pony up for the equipment to deal with it.

In contrast, our 2013 BMW has been flawless, though if you read the BMW forums, plenty of folks have issues. I guess it comes down to how hungover the Hungarians on the assembly line are the day it was built...

Mercedes used to be known for vault-like construction and high reliability. Then Dr. Z took over and decided shareholders needed a better return, and they got distracted by making the abysmal decision to buy Chrysler. The ensuing years were a low point for the brand and they have made improvements the past few years, probably on par with BMW/Audi, but they have a long way to go against Toyota/Lexus. My opinion is that they don't really care to be Toyota, and that they are willing to trade that last bit of reliability for the profits that come from designing more loosely. Traditional Mercedes Customers aren't value-for-money buyers, especially here in the USA, they are looking for status and many of them are on 2-3 year leases so it's not of much concern to them if they are reliable long-term (67% are leased in the USA.)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
I would have to agree with ALX. The radiator and intake manifold should have lasted longer. Airmatic, like any air suspension system, is an expensive, relatively short-lived system compared to steel suspension. Yes you get a very isolated from the road level of comfort, which is probably why you bought the vehicle with that option, but when almost any piece of it breaks or wears out you're going to write a nice sized check. Lots of threads on this site about the high cost of airmatic when it breaks. Especially if you go to a dealer service shop.

I have also been driving a Lexus for 18 years and things wear out and break on them as well. It just takes a little bit longer in some cases and if you use dealer service, you will pay almost as much. Nobody builds tanks anymore. Not will all the electronic nanny devices embedded throughout the vehicles and some engine parts incorporating plastic parts instead of longer-lasting metal components. From that perspective, all the brands are in the same boat when compared to their counterparts from 20 or 30 years ago.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 2011
Never, ever again.

1st Timing Chain Stretched was crazy, but I dealt with it.

To have the engine stretch a second timing chain in 20k miles. . . . absolutely insane. Should be rare enough of an issue that MB would offer to pick it up free; rather, they suggested changing the chain again, which would have put me back in the same position in another 20k miles.

You never want to own an unfixable car.