New To Me 2011 GL500 (UK) - Some Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
New To Me 2011 GL500 (UK) - Some Questions

Hi all

Just picked up a 2011 GL500 here in the UK, Indus Silver, loads of options, done 59k miles, and I have a few questions please:-

1. The leatherette shroud that wraps around the steering column is stuck at the bottom of the plastic cover and when the wheel comes out to my chosen setting it groans like crazy. Ive tried to pull it back up but it feels jammed down the column cover, anyone ever have this problem to know what i need to do to free it up? I can see the line where it used to be and its about 2-3" lower now, not sure why?

2. Im getting shimmy / vibration at 70 mph, 21" AMG wheels from the sport package and brand new tyres, is this likely to be tyre balance or something else?

3. Maybe linked to question 2, I have a little bit of knocking from the front suspension over speed humps and when turning, is that a control arm, roll / sway bar, bush etc. and is it likely to make the shimmy feel more obvious? Its not as noisy as knocking on other vehicles Ive owned so I can live with it for now if the shimmy is tyre balance, if its suspension arm related then that would have to be sorted out ASAP

Ive had it 1 day so may have more questions in the future but overall Im impressed. I came from an ML63 166 so its a big softer and a heck of a lot less powerful and noisy, its a real shame they didnt make a 63 in the GL 164, I like the 164 look better than the 166 in the GL, it just looks more aggressive. A bit behind the times now but a great vehicle so far.

Thanks

Carl
Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 AM

AMG GLS63
Bump:-

The steering column shroud issue is really frustrating, its stuck fast down the bottom around the dash trim and makes a heck of a groaning noise when the wheel is moving in or out, anyone ever have this?

I inflated the tyres on Sunday and found one front one much lower than it should have been, the slightly higher and now evenly matched tyre pressures have helped with the noises a lot. I don't know for sure if its completely gone yet but its definitely better.

Thanks

Carl
Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
this steering column shroud stuck is common. it will require the removal of the bottom panel (above the pedals) and attempt to be released from there. once released it should be lubricated with silicone grease at the right spots to prevent it from getting stuck again.

if removal of the panel does not gain access to the stuck part the steering column needs to be removed altogether and inspected/ repaired as needed. this can get expensive btw.

the knocking is most likely a swaybar endlink. they are due more or less at 60k miles. if they are good - next i would check the pass side (driver side for you brits) cv joint. they do wear out and when they do they will make a clicking sound when going over bumps as well as vibrate at highway speeds.

but... vibration is most likely due to your tires. the 21" wheels can be only balanced correctly on a road force balancer.

Last edited by alx; 11-22-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 AM

AMG GLS63
Thanks for the feedback. Its actually started groaning a lot at slow speeds, stopping, setting off, parking etc. like Im leaning against an old wooden table or something, almost sounds like the dash is going to fall off lol, worried that the shocks are worn but it rides great on the move, hardly any noise at all, smooth even in sports and doesnt feel like somethings wrong other than an awful groaning.

Any ideas?

The steering column shroud is groaning when the wheel comes out on start up and again when it retracts after shutting off so another groan is so disappointing after 4 days of ownership. Dealer has made contact with me but they are 4 hours away so its going to be hard to get it back there really.