GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Vibration problem with a new GL550

Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I think I have defective rotors as well, I will get it checked it when I go in for numerous other quality issues I have.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gj 450
gl 450 rotor vibration

I have same problem here at 6000 dealer replaced the front rotors and installed back the same brakes and the problem got fixed.Now at 10000 miles I have the same problem again . This is insane is driving me crazy .I have only one thing to say NO MORE MB is my first and last one.Going back to BMW love those cars.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Check the specific service invoice on the 1st rotor replacement - service/techs need to upload request for fresh pads at the same time they input the rotor replacement - and if your pads were not replaced at 1st rotor replacement the "cure" is "new rotors AND new pads".

I suspect rotors were contaminated awaiting production - open surface - and rotor replacement without fresh pads can cause your 2nd episode.. you can check that original warranty service invoice yourself and confirm if what I suspect is correct.

MB will aprove replacing both rotors and pads - it's just service/techs are kindof simple minded (poor descriptive maybe) - but for MB to approve rotors+pads, both need to be input into the system.. I suspect the original contamination, whatever it is, gets transferred to the original pads and hence re-starts the issue..rotors+pads solves the issue.. these rotors are not "coated" and unknown shipping/storage prior to production I believe based on what I have seen I "believe" causes the issue.. with fresh rotors+pads I personally not seen reoccurence
Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 AM

gj 450
Here is what the service ticket states. Not sure if they where replaced or not i think not LINE OPCODE TECH TYPE HOURS
A CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A LOUD VIBRATION FROM THE CENTER CONSOLE
WHEN REAR A/C IS TURNED ON.
MISC MISC. LINE
NET
533 IRT
7455 INSPECTED VEHICLE. UNABLE TO DUPLICATE COMPLAINT. SPOKE TO
ADVISOR EXPLAINED CONCERN (HAD DUPLICATED WHEN CUSTOMER DROPPED OFF).
CHECKED LI DOCUMENTS FOR KNOWN REPAIRS. FOUND DOCUMENT 83.00-P-055425.
STATES IF THERE IS A RATTLING ISSUE (SIMILAR TO COMPLAINT) DO NOT
PERFORM ANY REPAIRS AT THIS TIME. A REPAIR SOLUTION IS IN PROCESS. NO
ACTIONS ARE TO BE TAKEN AT THIS TIME. CUSTOMER TO RESCHEDULE WHEN
REPAIR SOLUTION IS RELEASED.
B CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A HEAVY VIBRATION COMING FROM THE VEHICLE
WHEN BRAKING TO A STOP AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS.
CAUSE: .
422731 BRAKE DISCS, FRONT - LEFT & RIGHT SIDE, R
& R / REPL. (BRAKE PADS REMOVED)
533 WM67
2 166-421-09-12 BRAKE DISK,
422706 BRAKE PADS - FRONT, R & R / REPL. IF REQ.
(WHEELS REMOVED)
533 WM67
401590 WHEELS - TWO, R & R
533 WM67
009151 WORKSHOP TEST DRIVE PERFORM
REASONING:........ TECHNICIAN:......
DEPARTURE:..... ARRIVAL:..... KM AT START:
533 WM67
7457 ROADTEST VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY VERIFIED VIBRATION IN VEHICLE WHEN
APPLYING BRAKES APPROX 45MPH VIBRATION CAN BE FELT. FOREMAN AND TECH
IDENTIFIED VIBRATION TO BE COMING FROM FRONT ROTORS. REMOVED AND
REPLACED FRONT ROTORS, ROADTESTED VEHICLE VEHICLE IS NOW GOOD QC
ROADTSETED VEHICLE GOOD
LIST
Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Gert - from my read shop-invoice spek your front pads weren't replaced - again, it was a tech/service input issue meaning they "assumed" pads at low mileage were OK and did not request MB authorization - if this was 2005 their assessment stood a good chance of being correct/old thinking - but this is X166 - my experience is 100% chance of success if new rotors and new pads are put in and the shop should acknowledge that will be done - and frankly that will be done under Mercedes warranty and dealer doesn't lose a dime - except their pride/ego on mistake not requesting approval for replacement pads on the original rotor replacement ..

I do not have evening access to the referenced doc on the rear-air-con issue - 1st time I have heard/seen it.. if I have a chance I will check tmrw if I have the chance.. depending on the date of that service... I would suggest getting on the horn in the morning with Customer Care with the objective of logging a factual complaint with original date of service - and that the issue is unresolved - (800) 367-6372 - option 4 then option 5 - mornings best after 8AM East Coast time, the earlier the better... this starts a reverse channel from MB to the dealer on resolving the issue and with larger or lazier dealerships brings about prompt action/dealer response within 3 working days.. this "strick" works most effectively if your report to MB is factual, service date, problem description, no contact from the dealer on followup.. etc.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM

gj 450
Thank u for your help fabbrisd1.The vent noise from the center console in the second row i can hear it in the winter only is like a flapping noise and I am guessing it has to do with the heat. I will fallow your advice and call MB first thing in the morning and post the answer
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
MB Customer Care will "log" the incident - which creates a "corp-to-dealer" VIP motivation to the dealer to fix/close the case - the corp-dealer gets to the dealer in 2 business days with update required back to MB from the dealer until the case is fixed/closed..
Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 PM

2013 GL450
I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2013 GL450. Around 4000 miles, coolant light kept coming on. Finally, the check engine light came on around 6000 miles. Took it in for service, found no issues, but installed a bunch of computer/system updates. The next day I started experiencing the braking vibrations and the really rough ride at speeds 65-75mph. Back in the shop. A week later the dealer replaced the front brakes (claimed no one else has reported braking issues...uh, we all search the Internet....it's been reported). They also rotated and balanced the tires, said problem solved. A mile down the highway, the brakes seem ok, but the vibration is still there. Another several days in the shop, they replaced 3 tires, said I was good to go. Uh, no! Same issue. It's back in the shop for try #3. The shop foreman noticed during this last drive that the vibration is mostly felt at highway speeds when pressing the accelerator. When coasting at those speeds, the vibration can't be felt. Any of you noticing that?
This is my 4th MB, 2nd GL. I had 0 problems with my GL550. This 450 has 6500 miles and has been in the shop for a total of 15 business days.....definitely not impressed for an $80k car!

2013 GL450 steel grey, P2, parktronic, appearance pkg, driver assist, and some other cool features I can't use because the car is always in the shop
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Mercedes GL 350
Hello

Last edited by IDEAL21; 07-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Mercedes GL 350
Hello I do have the same problem with my 2013 GL 350 (21" rims) Pirelli tires.
Ever since i Picked up the car I had this feeling that there is some kind of vibration and I could also hear it like a whoo whoo whoo sound, I took it to the benz dealer and they tried to convince me that this is normal because of the very wide tires which causes road noise, after driving for few more months the vibration seemed to get worse, I took it back in this time I was lot more annoyed , I said that I spend 80 plus thousand of dollars for this car that vibrates thats not acceptable. I think that they know very well that we are experiencing this problem but they are doing what ever they can not to replace the tires. If they will not fix the problem I will take the dealer to court...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 AM

C400 & GLK 250
same issue over here, had the dealership replace 2 tires.. and still the exact same problem.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 AM

2013 GL550
Update.

Dealer removed my Pirelli tires and installed the new continental tires. I went to the dealer and every 2013 on lot had the continentals. I demanded that they install all new 4 tires and I have to admit it does drive a lot better now. Also the Pirelli are only a summer tire where the continentals are all season tires. So it's a win win situation for me. I do still feel a very very small vibration only sometimes but nothing like it was. I am good with it. Also the continentals are a smoother ride. Now a update on the brake situation. Dealer installed all new rotors and pads and told me that mercedes does know there is a problem and they are working on a fix. They are claiming that the brake pad material is transferring to the rotor and causing extreme heat which in turn is causing warped rotors. They told me that they would keep replacing my brakes until there fix comes out.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
thats good to know..
i'm getting rear pads and rotors replaced now..
fronts were done couple weeks ago..

as a secondary note-- was hearing all 4 door squeaking and my dealer (awesome!) wants to change the weather strips-- since they all look the same and dry i've asked for all to be lubricated- hopefully will take care of it..
Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
so new rear pads and rotors seem to def have eliminated the slight vibration i was feeling-- the new rotors are still solid and ventilated but not drilled- though these look different than the previous ones.. hopefully this issue is taken care of now..
my Dealer and MBUSA have been just amazingly helpful about this whole issue..
just hope these dont warp/heat/ get damaged like the old ones.. my rears were soooo bad that you could see the ridges/lines and uneven surface .. having said that there was another GL in for service and those rotors though used were as straight as can be..
Old 09-21-2013, 12:05 AM

2012 mb gl 350
Gl vibration

I have a 2012 mb 350gl bluetec that vibrates at 100 - 120 km/hr
Dealer said is the nature of the vehicle
Purchased early April 2013
Has been in service more then two months
Has had replaced all tires ,all brake pads , all rotors , and more
No avail!!!
Dealer informed that can take vehicle back as is ,but down payment and
monthly payments are non refundable... Including my trade in ...
Tnx Mercedes Benz ! And welcome to Canada!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
Agree
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM

2012 mb gl 350
It's the size of the tire

Originally Posted by blittle
I stayed with the 19in wheels and would go to 18 if that had been an option..... the larger the wheel = the lower the profile and the greater probability there will be "ride" issues; does not matter the make, model or price of the vehicle.....it is a sacrifice made for "looks"....just as more power and performance will sacrifice economy. When you buy one side of the equation, you always get a bit of the other. That being said.....larger wheels are not an excuse for brake issues.
My dealer tried a set of smaller size winter tires that they use in house and my truck had actually a more evident vibration ....that indicates that tire size has nothing to do with the VIBRATION !
Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM

2014 GL350 AMG Package; 2011 SL63AMG; 2012 BMW X3X
I had the same issue, and The dealer replace the original EOM Pirelli 21" by Continental 21" ( a little more expensive tire) and no more vibration at all. We tried several things before and yes for myself the problem is related directly with my Pirelli tires. My dealer made the switch free of charge. Hey forget things about it's normal having vibration with 21". I don't think so. I really enjoy my new GL 2014 with 21" tires. Very smooth and comfortable ride.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM

C400 & GLK 250
Originally Posted by chevy5033
I had the same issue, and The dealer replace the original EOM Pirelli 21" by Continental 21" ( a little more expensive tire) and no more vibration at all. We tried several things before and yes for myself the problem is related directly with my Pirelli tires. My dealer made the switch free of charge. Hey forget things about it's normal having vibration with 21". I don't think so. I really enjoy my new GL 2014 with 21" tires. Very smooth and comfortable ride.
i tried getting switched to continentals.. but they replaced all 4 tires, and i still feel a slight vibration.. 4 trips to the dealership.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R
I bought a 2014 GL550 last week and noticed the vibration. After having my car for 2 days the dealer stated that 3 of the tires were "out of round" and replaced them with continentals like my came with. I haven't had much seat time in it since but the drive home from the dealer felt like the vibration issue was much much better if not gone. The car only had 150 miles on it when I took it in so time will tell if the problem was really solved.

3 tires not being perfectly round seems like a stretch to me. We shall see
Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM

2013 GL 450
I can honestly say this is the worst car experience I've ever had and am more than ready to get rid of this and move on from MB.

I've been dealing with the same problem since I bought my 2013 GL450 in July. Speeds between 65 and 75 mph exhibit the problem. I've had it serviced 4 times now and still have the problems.

1st & second visit - 2 front tires had 'road force' problems.....but they didn't have the tires in stock and when they put the wheels back on, they swapped the front right and rear left tire, so when I took it back in 2 days later to have the new tires replace....yep you guessed it, they replace the two front tires. they said they road tested it and it was fine - there is no way they actually did this (based on the fact that no mileage had been put on the car). After driving, still had a vibration problem in the steering wheel and seat

3rd visit - "yep we can confirm there is still a problem" - replaced the rotors and said it was road tested (again impossible based on the mileage and the face that it has to be driven at-speed to feel the problem).....left and there was still a problem

4th visit - back to 'road force' problems on 2 tires. Replaced the tires. They even said they took anther 2013 out for a ride to compare (meaning they felt something that didn't seem right, but weren't sure that it was 'normal'). They said the ride is 'just like the other 2013 now'. Bottom line is that the problem is still there - yet they say this it is 'normal'

Granted it's at about 65-75 MPH and the driver is the only one that really notices it now (where before the passenger could certainly feel it), but there is no way I feel like driving 300+ miles (our standard family visit trips) with this......I'm at wits' end. Now, maybe I'm being picky, but I expect more from a $75K vehicle - am I out of line?

I'm even more frustrated today after it took me 25 minutes and a 'transfer' to someone else to keep from getting charged for the MBRACE+ trial.....why can't they make anything easy at MB?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
how vigorous is the vibration? i keep waiting for it to happen but i think we have been lucky so far.

we have about 3500 on the odo, the GL is about 5 months old now. i do 50/50 local/highway and don't think i've experienced any type of vibration yet.

sometimes first thing in the morning after backing out of garage, there is a *tiny* amount in the steering wheel while the engine is warming up but after that it's fine.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
Do you have the 20" Pirellis by chance? Mine came with these, and so far I'm not impressed. The initial batch of tires had quite a lot of vibration at hwy speeds, I took it in and they had to rebalance 3 of the tires and 1 of them could not pass road force testing and had to be replaced. Since then the problem is better but not 100% smooth at all hwy speeds. Currently they want me to drive another few hundred miles on them to "break them in". They said if they are still bad at that point they will give me a new set - I'm going to push for a different tire brand.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by Elric99
Do you have the 20" Pirellis by chance? Mine came with these, and so far I'm not impressed. The initial batch of tires had quite a lot of vibration at hwy speeds, I took it in and they had to rebalance 3 of the tires and 1 of them could not pass road force testing and had to be replaced. Since then the problem is better but not 100% smooth at all hwy speeds. Currently they want me to drive another few hundred miles on them to "break them in". They said if they are still bad at that point they will give me a new set - I'm going to push for a different tire brand.
Ours has the continentals 21"...
Old 10-05-2013, 12:15 AM

2013 GL550
I am experiencing the same vibration in my '13 GL550 and I have the 21" Continentals. My vehicle was just assembled in March in Alabama. I am also experiencing a subtle "clunk" that we cannot figure out where it's originating, but can be felt in the steering wheel and sometimes in the brake as well. On one visit to the dealership for service of this issue, we were told the sway bars were replaced and should resolve this "clunk" feeling. It hasn't. This is a very difficult thing to explain. The best example I can come up with is: imagine an adjustable steering wheel that has a release lever...you pull the lever down, move the steering wheel to the preferred height and put the lever back into place. But when you put your hands back on the wheel to start driving, it was not locked into position and slightly "clunks" into place. This is the feeling I get in the steering wheel minus any movement from it. The wheel itself is not loose at all yet this "clunk" is felt time and again. It happens when going in a straight direction (no turning at all), and when turning, when applying the brake and when I'm not braking. Sometimes it feels as if something is really loose in the front end and other times it's more subtle. I am very disappointed with this vehicle! With it's performance and the service department's excuses for my experience with several problems (others not mentioned here in addition to these), which for the cost of this vehicle, should not be happening! I've obviously made a big mistake trading a Cadillac Escalade ESV that was working just fine for what I thought would be the ultimate luxury SUV! I could hardly stand the wait for this GL to be assembled and delivered, and now almost 7 months into it, wish I had never even thought about getting it! When the "clunk" and "loose front end" feeling isn't evident, I love this vehicle. But I'll no more think, this is fun to drive, and then clunk, there it is again.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem with a new GL550