GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Vibration problem with a new GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Car and Driver had to get their long term GL450 rear rotors replaced as well, the rotor problem seems to be a big issue, I am wondering if that is the reason behind the 2014's GL350,450 and 550 no longer having drilled rotors
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL 450
Well my 13 GL450 purchased in July is back in the shop for the 5th time for this problem (see my previous post on 10-4 in this thread)....this time I got word that they are replacing all 4 tires with something other than Perellis (I think he said a Bridgestone tire). The shop foreman indicated that they had to get MB permission to do this.....not sure why, but I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 PM

2013 GL 450
Well - got the SUV back today and had 4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 275/50R20 tires and I can tell you that it rides MUCH better, at least the short distance I drove on the highway between 65 - 75. I'll be taking an extended trip this weekend and can provide more information. There may be a slight increase in road-noise at low speeds, but at highway speeds, they appear to be much better all-around.

Painful that it took 5 visits, but the foreman indicated that they weren't allowed to do a wholesale change of tires - they could only replace individual tires that demonstrated road force problems.

After this experience, he did communicate with the regional service manager that if they encounter this problem again, they should just replace the Pirellis. Hopefully it will save someone else from having to go through this.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Gl 550
Originally Posted by todorcho
I was wondering if any new owners of the GL550 have experienced the same issues.

Since I got the GL550 two months ago, it had a vibration at speeds above 40mph. Multiple tire balancings and road-force tests could not resolve it. They even put 5 new tires (yes 5, because they first put 4 new ones and subsequently changed one of these with another new tire) improved things a little, but the vibration is still there. The technicians are now trying to convince me that this is "normal" for these huge 21'' AMG wheels, but I refuse to accept that a $95k car should have a vibration, especially a Mercedes Benz.

To prove to myself that I am not going crazy, I had several of my friends testdrive my car and they all said they feel the vibration. I also went and test-drove a brand-new GL550 (wasting the poor salesperson's time) just to check if all GL550s have this problem. That car also had a similar, but less pronounced vibration.

Another issue is a strange "scratching" feeling in the steering wheel when the car is moving, especially noticed at slow speeds (below 40mph), as if something is scraping against the wheels or in the steering column. It is there when the car is in neutral, so it is not the transmission. It is not a brake pad that is clamping, because the car does not pull on either side. Again, my friends who testdrove the car felt it too... Maybe this scraping has something to do with the vibration as tires are perfectly balanced.

How are other owners of GL550 feeling their ride? I have the wood steering wheel which is probably more sensitive.
I have had the same issue regarding the shaking brakes. Haven't had the "scratchy" steering wheel issue. 2013 amg pkg. glad to hear I am not crazy or unreasonable as well. Dealership told me it's normal and okay. But will take it in next week and insist on new pads and rotors. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 AM

BMW X6M
Are there a lot of GL550 owners that are not experiencing these problems. I'm trying to decide on whether it makes sense to switch from an X6 5.0 and am getting concerned. Thanks in advance for the feedback
Old 11-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL 550, 2014 C63 507 edition
I haven't had a problem.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
I haven't had a problem (yet) either. Smooth as butter. 5000 mi and 6 months old .
Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Gl450
GL Mercedes Vibration 2014

I'm the lucky owner as of Nov 9th of a vibrating 20" rim GL450.. driving me nuts.. I took it back once and they said it was the front right tire so they replaced it.. was a little better but still noticed a slight vibration over 65, took it back again.. they replaced 2 more tires and I demaned they change the 4th just to make sure.. have it back and it's better but still feel the vibration. I'm saving my receipts.. VA has a lemon law on new vehicles so to make sure i'm not crazy I'm going to take it out again and possibly go to another dealer and test drive another GL.. will have to call back and complain about this again... unbelievable we are having these issues..
Old 12-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
Same problem on my GL450 w/ 20" rims. Dealer has replaced all tires, vibration remains. I posted on another thread asking if other GL450 owners with 20" rims had this problem, most say they have a smooth ride. The GL450 I test drove had a smooth hwy ride, so obviously it is possible. Don't know what is up with our "bad" ones. If you find out a solution, please post. Mine is going back to dealer tomorrow for the 5th time.

Originally Posted by Phillipwa
I'm the lucky owner as of Nov 9th of a vibrating 20" rim GL450.. driving me nuts.. I took it back once and they said it was the front right tire so they replaced it.. was a little better but still noticed a slight vibration over 65, took it back again.. they replaced 2 more tires and I demaned they change the 4th just to make sure.. have it back and it's better but still feel the vibration. I'm saving my receipts.. VA has a lemon law on new vehicles so to make sure i'm not crazy I'm going to take it out again and possibly go to another dealer and test drive another GL.. will have to call back and complain about this again... unbelievable we are having these issues..
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Gl450
Vibrating over 65 gl450 20" rims 2014 model

Originally Posted by Plague87
Well my 13 GL450 purchased in July is back in the shop for the 5th time for this problem (see my previous post on 10-4 in this thread)....this time I got word that they are replacing all 4 tires with something other than Perellis (I think he said a Bridgestone tire). The shop foreman indicated that they had to get MB permission to do this.....not sure why, but I'll let you know how it goes.
Plague87. Thanks for posting your updates I'm taking your postings to the dealer tomorrow for my 3rd visit to the dealer. They finally replaced all 4 tires and still have the vibration problem and a whoo whoo whoo noise over 65mph

Is the car still driving smooth?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Gl450
Vibration GL450 20" rims

Originally Posted by IDEAL21
Hello I do have the same problem with my 2013 GL 350 (21" rims) Pirelli tires.
Ever since i Picked up the car I had this feeling that there is some kind of vibration and I could also hear it like a whoo whoo whoo sound, I took it to the benz dealer and they tried to convince me that this is normal because of the very wide tires which causes road noise, after driving for few more months the vibration seemed to get worse, I took it back in this time I was lot more annoyed , I said that I spend 80 plus thousand of dollars for this car that vibrates thats not acceptable. I think that they know very well that we are experiencing this problem but they are doing what ever they can not to replace the tires. If they will not fix the problem I will take the dealer to court...

Ideal was this ever resolved? I have a 2014 GL450 with vibration over 65mph, they replaced all 4 tires and still doing it.. going back a 3rd time to the dealer and if not fixed I have to get a lemon lawyer. Was yours ever resolved or did you end up filing a lawsuit? I just bought my car 30 days ago this is annoying.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
So I just drove my wife's 14 GL350 with 20 inch tires on the highway for the first time. I definitely sense a very fine vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I almost wonder if it is the "wind stabilization" or whatever that system is. It is definitely VERY annoying that. $90k+ vehicle would drive like that. A crappy $15k SUV doesbt drive like that. I'm not sure the dealer will have much to add, and it doesn't look like people have found a smoking gun yet. Any new info from anyone?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM

2013 GL 450 & 2011 E350 Cab
I have already filed the Lemon Law!!

Sorry that you having this problem ! I bout mine in Oct 2012 . and since Dec 2012 I Have the same vibration and brake and many other issues . MBUSA did not want to help either ! I have already filed the Lemon Law against them . Best luck!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 PM

File a lemon Law !

Good Luck with Dealer and MBUSA ! as they are not gong to be of any help . I had bought 8 MBs in the past 12 years and have many issue such as Vibration while driving !., brake issue , Ac , Door , etc . I have already filed the lemon law against MBUSA. . I would greatly appreciate contact by emal.
sarsharmo@nc.rr.com Thanks

Originally Posted by doctorG
So I just drove my wife's 14 GL350 with 20 inch tires on the highway for the first time. I definitely sense a very fine vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. I almost wonder if it is the "wind stabilization" or whatever that system is. It is definitely VERY annoying that. $90k+ vehicle would drive like that. A crappy $15k SUV doesbt drive like that. I'm not sure the dealer will have much to add, and it doesn't look like people have found a smoking gun yet. Any new info from anyone?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Gl 450 Is a lemon !

I am so sorry that you have this problem as I have the same . They have changed tires on mine Twice. and still having issue . Although, I am so sorry that you have this problem , but I am glad I am not the only one , and my lemon law suite against MBUSA is just!
I would love a an email to sarsharmo@nc.rr.com

Originally Posted by Plague87
Well - got the SUV back today and had 4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 275/50R20 tires and I can tell you that it rides MUCH better, at least the short distance I drove on the highway between 65 - 75. I'll be taking an extended trip this weekend and can provide more information. There may be a slight increase in road-noise at low speeds, but at highway speeds, they appear to be much better all-around.

Painful that it took 5 visits, but the foreman indicated that they weren't allowed to do a wholesale change of tires - they could only replace individual tires that demonstrated road force problems.

After this experience, he did communicate with the regional service manager that if they encounter this problem again, they should just replace the Pirellis. Hopefully it will save someone else from having to go through this.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I have the 21 by 10's on my GL and notice no vibration on the highway. the ride quality on rough surfaces on the street is only a mild difference, maybe 5%? to the 18 by 8.5's I had on my 2008 GL.

P.S cross wind stabilization does not do anything to tires or suspension, the only thing is does is break a certain wheel(s) to counter the wind direction.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Gl450
Originally Posted by doctorG

After about 4 trips to the dealer mine finally got fixed. Basically changing just the tires to new tires won't fix the problem. After escalating this to a manager at the mb service department, they had me come back and take a drive with the tech that had been working on my car I drove down the highway to make sure he felt the vibration and it wasn't just me.. he confirmed he still did and it shouldn't be driving that way. I left the car there and they pulled off wheels and the tires from another 2014 GL450 with the 20" package and put it on my car.

That seemed to fix the issue car drives smooth as silk. I am upset that I had to waste hours of my time to go back and fourth to the dealer. I almost wanted to bill them for my time and headache.

Anyways, it's got to be some sort of wheel defect not a tire issue from what I see... .. very odd.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
After about 4 trips to the dealer mine finally got fixed. Basically changing just the tires to new tires won't fix the problem. After escalating this to a manager at the mb service department, they had me come back and take a drive with the tech that had been working on my car I drove down the highway to make sure he felt the vibration and it wasn't just me.. he confirmed he still did and it shouldn't be driving that way. I left the car there and they pulled off wheels and the tires from another 2014 GL450 with the 20" package and put it on my car.

That seemed to fix the issue car drives smooth as silk. I am upset that I had to waste hours of my time to go back and fourth to the dealer. I almost wanted to bill them for my time and headache.

Anyways, it's got to be some sort of wheel defect not a tire issue from what I see... .. very odd.

A study by Car & Driver in 2010 focused on the increasing wheel diameter and shrinking sidewalls of tires. The study found that as wheels increased in diameter , they also were increasing in width…..they tested various vehicles and similar vehicles with wheel sizes ranging from 15 to 19….as the wheel size went up , the ride issues developed but could be contained with r precise balancing, properly tuned suspension…..assuming no defects in the wheels, out of round tires, etc. In other words , the smaller the wheels the less obvious some issues were. Here's a quote: "We do know that the heavy, 19-inch setup suffered from the most impact harshness and seemed to tax the suspension the most. In contrast, the two smallest wheel-and-tire combos showed a propensity for more understeer on the skidpad but provided a more controlled and supple ride. And although it didn’t register on the dBA-meter, the 15- and 16-inch arrangements had a more pleasant sound quality than the larger tires.

Your case sounds as if there must be some defect with the wheels….perhaps MB needs to look into this more deeply because the issue seems to be fairly common as they moved away from 18"s and more toward 19's and 20'"s on this vehicle. I do not recall much discussion of similar issues back when I was part of the first group to own the original 07 with 18"s.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Are all of you that are having issues riding in comfort or non sport mode? If you do... You will find that the mass of the 21s is a bit to much for that setting... This will result in wallowing and vibrations...Even my AMG does this... But once I hit sport 1 or 2 and the truck is transformed...

I've had OEM 21 contis and now 21 Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires without incident with either sport modes turned on. If you insist on using the softest suspension setting then you shouldn't have ordered the 21 inch sport wheel option.

Clearly, MB rotors are having issues... But without the brakes being applied... I would be surprised of a vibration showing up at highway speeds
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM

GL
I have intense (steering wheel wobbling) vibrations under moderate braking (such as lightly "brushing off speed" through turns) that isn't noticeable with very light braking or very hard braking. It's "warped" rotor or perhaps pad material transferred to the rotor. But it's beyond belief how bad it became and how quickly. This is a 2014 GL550 with about 5K miles. It's going in for the first of the usual "cannot reproduce" visits, I guess. But armed with so many reports here, I'd like to think the dealer service folks will be receptive and not baulk at the process of replacing wheels and tires and rotors, etc.
We had a 2010 GL350 that always had noticeable "harmonic" vibrations at highway speeds even on the smoothest of roads. If the road was a "good" highway, but some bumps, it seemed like the suspension would "succumb" to the bumps and tend to create the harmonics and the vibration. It would feel like an out-of-round tire or bent wheel. The regular service tech would say "what? feels perfect" and the steering wheel would be a tiny bit off-center and the car would drift across the lane. That was the 2010. This new 2014 has much less vibration/harmonic, so I didn't intend to even try the dealership for them to find whatever is causing the trouble. It's just a "live with it" but it really has me questioning the GL as having some design or construction flaw that they've not been able to work out.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:51 PM

2014 GL350
I purchased a 2014 GL350 and since I drove it off the lot have experienced a vibration at highway speeds. After several trips to the dealer and even having factory rep come and check it out I believe we finally resolved the issue. I have been told a lot of what's been said here, they all do it, too picky etc... I like you all simply refused to take that as answer for this type of vehicle. Without hesitation my service manager agreed to change out the tires and try a different brand. Perellis to Continentals, a world of difference. From the moment I drove out of the lot I could tell a difference in the smoothness over bumps. Highway ride is MUCH improved. Have a nice long road trip planned this weekend and will give the final verdict. Did switch from run flats to non-run flats.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350 , 2010 Accord V6, 40' Monaco Dynasty RV, 1971 VW Convertable
Does the 2014 GL 350's have Run Flats from the factory?

I was told they weren't
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by a330captain

I was told they weren't
I believe the only time you get run flats is if you get the B&O sound system. They put the subwoofer where the spare was.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

2014 GL350
Originally Posted by a330captain

I was told they weren't
I could be wrong. I was just going off what the dealer said. He said the manual called for them so I assumed they were... Also when I went to tirerack to check some reviews I noticed a few run flat options came up.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Thank God!! GL550 2014 with 3k on her so far. Not one vibration.....heh heh, cept when you stomp it and those turbos fire up. I was worried after reading all these posts, but so far no worries with mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem with a new GL550