GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Vibration problem with a new GL550

Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by slaydemon
Hey just wanted to add my story in:

Benz: 2013 GL550 CPO --> purchased 01/15 at 12k miles. Currently 20k miles. Issues first started at ~15k miles (around 05/15). They have the stock 21" rims & Pirelli's from the original purchase 2 years ago.

Issue: I first experienced the vibration in May 2015. I got into my benz in the morning, drove onto the highway, started to reach 50mph, when all of the sudden vibration starts. You know those speed bump indentations on the side of the highway, built into the shoulder? Thats what it felt like. It felt like I was constantly driving on a never-ending strip of that. Entire car and steering wheel shaking.

Vibration Service Trips to MB Manhattan :
1. June 2015 - They balanced the tires and aligned the wheels.
2. July 2015 - Changed the two rear tires to brand new Pirellis.
3. September 2015 (Car at dealer right now) - Finally acknowledged that they felt the vibration (they didn't feel it on the 1st 2 visits), and changed the remaining 2 tires. Now I have 4 brand new Pirellis. They road-tested it, and still felt the vibration. Service manager calls me, says that its a "feature of the vehicle". I got "upset", and told him I refuse to pickup the car unless he provides me in writing that this vibration is a "feature" of my car, after which I will most likely Lemon the vehicle, maybe even sue them for not disclosing this feature in any manual when I purchased the car. He said he will get back to me, and hung up. I do not think he knows what to do, either he has to fix the problem or give it to me in writing, neither of which I think he wants to do.

NY lemon law states acceptable grounds for filing a claim (I think my vehicle falls under the "new" category since it had less than 18k miles at time of purchase): Defect must have tried to been repaired at least 4 times, or the vehicle was with the dealership for more than 30 calendar days in total.

At this point, I'm pretty sure he's had my car for 30 days, has been over a week for each visit. If it doesn't get fixed after this 3rd time, I am most likely filing a claim.

And just to add to this, another issue: The driver and passenger seat move during turns/cornering, with about a 1cm wobble room to the left. Every time I turn, I get this big kick as the seat moves and then abruptly stops after moving that 1cm. This is also the 3rd time attempting to fix this issue. They "fixed" it the first 2 times by adding padded rubber felt underneath the seats. I did not buy a CPO benz so that the dealer can do some patch work and add padded felt. I bought a CPO because I assumed it was supposed to almost be like Factory-new. This doesn't seem like it. Am I wrong? Thanks for reading guys. Feels good to vent.
I would contact mbusa and file a complaint. It is a cpo vehicle, they have to fix it. Lemon laws usually apply to original owner during first 12 months but vary by state.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2013 GL550 CPO
Originally Posted by 43221B
I would contact mbusa and file a complaint. It is a cpo vehicle, they have to fix it. Lemon laws usually apply to original owner during first 12 months but vary by state.
Benz of manhattan is the flagship dealership of Benz, therefore owned by Benz themselves. I dont know how much mbusa can help me there. But I can definitely try that.

Also, I agree they have to fix it, but I dont think they know what to fix, and I refuse going back to the dealer for a 4th, 5th, 6th time, which does not make any sense since they could not fix it the first 3 times. Takes me 2 hours (mostly traffic) of driving each way to manhattan from NJ, thats 8 hours of driving per service visit. Will have spent 24 hours just on driving at this point.

I think I'll get in contact with mbusa and a lemon lawyer to see what my options are.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Last edited by slaydemon; 09-15-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
I don't know (think) it will help your situation, but a true road force balance done *correctly* will at least eliminate wheels/out of round/etc as the issue

Problem is most places, even dealers, just rush through the complete road force balance, they don't make a lot of $$$ from it, so they don't put in the time

My shop is in Clifton NJ, PM me if you want to try one more thing
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
A vibration as significant as you note would suggest more than a wheel balance is needed (although mismatched tires can do all kinds of unusual things). I know there were early vibration issues with the 21" AMG wheels.

Has the dealer swapped the wheels and tires (maybe with another car on the lot that drives fine) to check?

There is no way they should have your car that long. Maybe more suggestive of a transmission or engine imbalance.

Get the car back and take it somewhere else. Take it to an independent shop if the second place can't figure it out.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 PM

GL550 vibration

Originally Posted by Dalema
A vibration as significant as you note would suggest more than a wheel balance is needed (although mismatched tires can do all kinds of unusual things). I know there were early vibration issues with the 21" AMG wheels.

Has the dealer swapped the wheels and tires (maybe with another car on the lot that drives fine) to check?

There is no way they should have your car that long. Maybe more suggestive of a transmission or engine imbalance.

Get the car back and take it somewhere else. Take it to an independent shop if the second place can't figure it out.
They did not swap wheels & tires, but that is a good idea, I will suggest that.
I'm thinking of taking it to a closer MB if it still occurs after I pickup the car this time.
Haven't heard back from the dealer since Tuesday after I asked him to provide in writing that the vibration is a "feature". I'm okay with it, driving around their loaner
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 PM

GL550
Drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Re: GL550 Vibration

Just an update:

Picked up the car on 9/29 (exactly 3 weeks after I dropped it) from Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan. Their final resolution was putting on a brand new set of Continental Crosscontact UHP tires. Drove it yesterday, still felt the same vibration at 50+ mph. Plus my seat still moves. This is all after they have had my car for 3 weeks, and 5-6 weeks in total just for these 2 defects.

Called my service advisor at Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan, he tried denying the issue saying they never felt it, but then I asked him if his foreman had felt it and he said yes. I'm also upset they never told me that they switched from all-season (the old pirelli) to these summer tires. Plus, there is a huge chunk of rubber missing from one of the tires, they said they will replace it. Also, they scratched up all 4 of my rims when putting the tires on. I took pictures and sent it to them, but they are denying the damage on the rims.

At the end of the phone call, he said you can bring it back and we'll check the seat and vibration again, or you can take it to another dealer, but there is "nothing we can do" and "you can do what you have to do". I hung up, and called a lemon lawyer and left a message. I also called MB USA, they said they'll get back to me on Monday.

Fed up with this car and Mercedes-Benz of Manhattan. I advise never buying a car from there, or taking it for service. When I initially bought the car from them, they had to replace a few parts in the interior due to major scuffs and scratches from the previous owner. In the process of replacing these parts, their service ship damaged the entire inner wall of the trunk. I told them to replace that as well. Their service shop doesn't know what they're doing, and will damage cars more in the process of their "repairs".

Will provide an update when I talk to the lawyer and MB USA.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:58 AM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Curious to know if anyone had success resolving the vibration issue. So far I've gone through 2 new sets of Scorpions and now on Michelins Premier LTX but still fee the vibrations.

Each time I'm having to pay for the mount of the tires and also having to deal with handling the ones coming off to return.

What a nightmare...I specifically purchased the GL for long road trips but now I hate taking the vehicle on even short freeway runs.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Own 2005 CLK500, but drive 2011 Sienna :)
After reading this whole thread - I think that I need to re-consider the purchase of 550.
I would only assume, that if the vibration is not being fixed with the tire replacement/balancing - the problem is with the rim(s) itself. Most likely hit the pot hole/curb etc. It could be enough. If this is the case you can replace 100s sets of the tires and still get the vibration.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:07 AM

GL550
No vibration issues wth my GL550.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Zero vibration as well. I wouldn't use this thread as a proxy not to get a GL or GL550. My GL550 is an incredible machine, absolutely love everything about it.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM

I'm in no way meant that everybody is having this problem, it's just scary that this thread is one of the most popular in x166 forum.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by HETPE3B
I'm in no way meant that everybody is having this problem, it's just scary that this thread is one of the most popular in x166 forum.
You can find this very same type of thread on just about every other auto manufacturer forum from BMW to Land Rover. And they go on and on. It seems every maker has outlier issues with wheel vibration from out of round tires to bad rims to steering components. It really sucks when it happens to any owner and in most cases there's not a resolution. I feel blessed that for every type of car I've owned or own hasn't had any wheel or steering vibration.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 11-25-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM

15 GL550
My 550 is smooth once the tires warm up. I've noticed that the x166 (I've owned two) suspension is very sensitive to tire and wheel balance issues. One of the posters on here mentioned that he/she test drove several 450s on the dealer lot and all had vibration. I garuntee that those tires were all flat spotted. Now that it is cold out, I have to drive for about 10 miles before the tires are vibration free at highway speeds. This wasn't an issue in the summer but seems to demonstrate how sensitive the suspension is. The answer to all of this is to test drive your GL before signing any paperwork. If vibration persists after the tires are warm, a second set may be necessary. In my case I had to go to a third set and switch to Continental summer tires on my 450 to get rid of the vibration.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:14 AM

2014 GL350 , 2010 Accord V6, 40' Monaco Dynasty RV, 1971 VW Convertable
no issues here

no issues gl 350
Old 11-25-2015, 02:09 PM

Your GL350 coming most likely with 19" wheels, doesn't it?
Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63s Wagon
I have been lurking in the background for months...trying to sort out my similar Certified 2014 GL550 vibration/shaking issue. I am at my wits end. I purchased the vehicle site unseen from Plaza Motors in St Louis, after reviewing the full service history and the CPO verification records. I was very specific about what I wanted. Diamond White/Black Leather/DVD's....and after a solid year of searching I made an offer and had it shipped in to the suburbs of Chicago. After it was unloaded from the truck, I noticed it was missing a lug nut, missing DVD remotes, missing floor mats, missing the keyless go button. That's how I was introduced to her. I felt dirty...used.....and was pretty pissed. Lobbed some calls to the dealer and they said they would mail off the missing items. I decided I better drive the car, and I took her on a 10 mile trip. From the moment I got to 50-55mph...the steering wheel shakes, the car was uneasy and the passenger seat vibrating. I called my local dealer and set up an appointment. They were booked solid for 2 weeks so the car sat in my garage. I was bored one day and decided to read the manual and get acquainted. I also wanted to get my valentine one mounted. The heated cooled cup holders didn't turn on, nor did the lighter port. At this point I have driven 10 total miles and the car has sat in my garage for weeks and I am fed up. I call MB Customer Care and start a case about how I feel Plaza MB didn't actually go thru the vehicle..I mean so many things were missed. The lady on the phone was from the east coast, typical attitude, you know the type. She says why'd you wait so long to call? I started to get mad. This was my first call into MB customer care. So much for being there to help.
Trip 1 to local dealer :So I took my newly certified 2014 GL550 to the local dealer( I don't want to say that dealers name as I am still dealing with this issue) for the shaking, vibration issue and to warrant the fix on the blown fuse for the cup holder and lighter ( which had a crusty dime in it..NOT MINE). They come back and tell me I have 2 bent rims and they need to roadforce all 4 tires. I authorize them to do the work, and $371 dollars and a day later I drive the car home and it is the same. Vibration-shaking....all of it is there. I call them back and say I will be in the next day to drive with the tech.

Trip 2 to local Dealer:The following day the tech drives with me, says he feels it in his pants and knew something was wrong. We pull into the service bay and he says the tires are feathered ( conti's UHP)...and that I will have to BUY a set of tires and have them mounted. Disgusted I lob more calls into MB customer care who does nothing but tell me to call the dealer I bought the car from. So I do.

Trip 3 to local dealer:I elected to buy a set of brand new Pirelli Snow tires since I live in the snow belt. I bring the car back to get the tires mounted and roadforced November 20th, 2015. This is where it gets fun. Late Friday they call me to tell me they had an issue with their roadforce machine ( we got 17 inches of snow Saturday November 21st) and that they would be done on Monday. Monday they call saying they cant get the brand new tires to balance....they are gonna try again the next day. The next call was to tell me 2 of the tires were defective...and that they would order in 2 more. Two days later another call, one of those 2 brand new tires was defective. They order in 2 more tires just in case one of the two is again defective. I get a call on December 3rd that they think they are all done, everything roadforced and balanced out..but the head tech wanted to test drive. Friday I get a call....umm...we are ordering in a new front axle....vibration is still there. Well that is interesting I think...so another week goes by and I get a call that the Foreman reviewed the roadforce and that he suspects at least 2 of the brand new tires are again defective. ( you paying attn.? Out of 11 brand new Pirelli Scorpions only 4 are good and able to roadforce out within specs...I am thinking I am the unluckiest guy who owns a benz) Ok...at this point I have put 1100 miles on the E class loaner. FINALLY I get a call December Wednesday December 16th that she is all set and done. Tech roadtested and 100 miles of driving later by the dealer I was good to go.
On the drive home..guess what? Vibration and shakes...granted I will say this...they really did an amazing job having my car for 28 total days...the shake was there...could feel it in my pants and the passenger seat flutters. Call the dealer....and think maybe this is me....and I need a psych evaluation. I drive it yesterday 70 miles just to make sure it is still behaving badly...and I call the dealer and tell them I want the foreman to ride with me AND then I wanted to drive a brand new 2016 Gl550. They agree and I set it up for today.
Trip 4 to the local dealer: This morning the foreman drove with me and agreed he felt the vibration and then we hopped in a BRAND NEW 2016 Gl550 ( 96k sticker). I drop the same streets and the brand new GL emitted even worse vibration and shaking in the seats at 50-70mph. This was driving on Continetal UHP's...the car had 26 miles on it. So while I was relieved that both cars vibrated/shook, I am also very concerned there is a much larger issue going on. I was instructed to log and escalate a case to MB and have their regional people get in touch with my dealer for further diagnostics.
So to sum...4 documented trips to the dealer....a plethora of problems...and lost confidence in a Brand I used to love. Certified doesn't mean anything anymore. And in my state there aren't any lemon laws on used cars....I think we should lobby for changing legislature to protect consumers when things happen like this. I could sell the car back to the dealer, but I will lose the 5k in taxes I paid to the state. This is an OBVIOUS design flaw....I am thinking class action as well. I am tired of being fleeced, I work hard for my money and hate to be the guy that has to b_tch and moan. I have owned this car 3 months and its been nothing but a nightmare. Sorry for the novella, but I wanted to share my story.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
That's a really sad story. Very sorry. Maybe you can write-off the $5K as a loss or something? Not sure keeping this car is worth all the pain-and-suffering. At least not 5K worth.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:48 AM

15 GL550
I think I've spoken to that same woman in NJ. She's horrible... If I were you, I would go directly to the general manager at the selling dealership and explain what you have experienced and ask him if this is how he does business. I would request that he buy the vehicle back from you. Clearly, it was not inspected or test driven before they sent it to you. I think you have good evidence of this. You should be able expect that a vehicle you are buying sight unseen has been checked over before being delivered. This dealership has someone very lazy running their used car department.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:02 AM

GL550
Wow - no way you are that unlucky on tires. I'd have them find a GL550 or 450 that doesn't vibrate and switch the wheels with yours (21" and 20") - then you can cross that off the list.

Curious - is the vibration only under load at that speed or also with foot off the gas? if you knock it into neutral at that speed does it go away?

Not sure why I'm suggesting this as I'm sure they tried all this if they had it that long.

Can you lemon law it if bought used? Report them trying to fix it 3 times and do that.

If not, state to them in writing you feel unsafe driving the car at speed and believe it is dangerous, and request Mercedes buy it back from you. Buy another one - they are a great car when not vibrating!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by Dalema

Can you lemon law it if bought used?
I'm not aware of any state that provides lemon law protection for used vehicles. Lemon laws are what provide some justification for purchasing new and accepting the depreciation hit that comes along with the purchase. There are several of us regulars on this forum that have had to use lemon laws as leverage with Mercedes.

I think the angle you take in this situation is you focus on the car being falsely represented to you. The purchaser was told the car was certified which explicitly means the car had a variety of inspections performed on it. Clearly, a car shipped without a lug nut and bent rims indicates this certification process was not performed. Add to that, the time it has spent in the shop, all documented I'm sure in Mercedes database, is strong evidence IMHO.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 PM

2015 GL550 2013 ESV Platinum 2008 Hummer H2 LE UM
I already got vibrational issues. I got almost 20k miles and if switch from sport to comfort and drive normal highway speeds, I can feel a subtle vibration. Once I switch back, it very bad. I am keeping an eye on my tires.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63s Wagon
I dropped off the car to the dealer again this morning for the escalated case. The vibration is present at 55mph and faster speeds. At slower speeds the car performs as expected. These are vehicles though built for the Autobahn, and lets be honest ( I also own a 2007 Gl450) the Gl550 is a beast. Tons of power, really great acceleration, but this SUV was built by a german manufacturer that prides itself on safety, reliability, and driving at high rates of speed on the Autobahn. I drive like a grandpa, 72mph around on the tollways and highways. I just don't think it is safe, nor do I think a car of this caliber and pedigree should exhibit any vibrations...certified or new. After stating that I drove a brand new 2016 Gl550 with the same vibration issues, the MB USA customer care manager said maybe that is a "feature" of the vehicle. A feature? Introducing the 2016 Gl550 by Mercedes Benz....Sleek Styling, a 429 HP twin turbocharged motor, AMG appearance package, heated and cooled seats, and a wonderous vibration and shake at speed. I can see the Santa Christmas advertisement now.

In my state( Illinois) Used vehicles aren't eligible for Lemon Laws. I really wish I could find certification documentation by Mercedes Benz as to what the requirements are. I also think I am going to try and find an attorney as I am sure Mercedes isn't going to buy the vehicle back including the Illinois taxes. I am leary of trading it in for another GL series vehicle, which is so sad because my 2007 has been nothing but a joy to own. Solid, well appointed, and reliable..just passed 110k miles.

Above and beyond my personal experience, I think there is a MUCH LARGER issue going on with the X166 chassis/wheels/tires...if I was a outlier I would not be as upset or concerned. But test driving a brand new 2016 Gl550 that actually drove worse and vibrated harder than mine is what I find tough to swallow. At this point I have $2000 in out of pocket expenses ( bent wheels/rebalance/new tires/roadforce) on top of what paid for the vehicle plus my time driving up and back 5 times to the dealer. All of this on a Certified GL. I just don't know what to do. In looking at this thread it seems like 1 out of 2 GL's with 20/21 inch wheels are experiencing this. Most of us are experiencing out of pocket expenses as well. This isn't a "feature" of the vehicle, and my humble yet experienced opinion in HIGH LINE VEHICLE OWNERSHIP, this is really a SAFETY ISSUE. I wont drive my children in this GL550 on the highway, I simply cant trust its behavior and manners on the road. So if anyone is experienced with a david versus goliath fight and has advice on how to get a FULL REFUND, feel free to contact me for my information.
Thanks again for the advice and listening. This is a much larger problem, and there is strength in #'s.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 PM

2015 GL350, 2013 Audi S4, 2009 Toyota Tundra
My 2015 GL350 with AMG appearance package (including 21" wheels) has almost 14,000km (~8,500 miles) with zero vibrations. My previous 2013 with 21" wheels as well had almost 90,000kms (~56,000miles) with no vibration at all either.

My point of stating this is that there must be a way of fixing it. It just seems like MB just isn't willing to start throwing parts at the GL to see what actually fixes the problem.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by craneman
My 2015 GL350 with AMG appearance package (including 21" wheels) has almost 14,000km (~8,500 miles) with zero vibrations. My previous 2013 with 21" wheels as well had almost 90,000kms (~56,000miles) with no vibration at all either.

My point of stating this is that there must be a way of fixing it. It just seems like MB just isn't willing to start throwing parts at the GL to see what actually fixes the problem.
Just out of curiosity do you have the off-road package? My 550 doesn't and I have zero vibration.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem with a new GL550