GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Vibration problem with a new GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
sorry to hear this
we've had 3 GLs personally, 450,550,63-- none reallt had any vibration issues
in general def the best 3 row SUV around-- no doubt..

im sure MB may try to find the issue but based on my recent experience with the new administration-- customer service seems to have lost its priority for the 'best or nothing'

i hope they fix this and get customer service back to the Days of Steve Cannon..
these days getting part of the issue addressed appears to justify their lack of concern for the total customer service experience..

good luck!

and if it doesnt work out-- well theres always a competitor that will gladly take your business..
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 550
GL 550 2015

it is clear to me that MB knows there is a problem with 21 inch wheels on GL 550's yet they continue to sell them. I have had no luck correcting the problem, the car is on the third set of tires at 15,000 mi. The vibration is so bad an exhaust bracket was missing. MBUSA is telling me my local dealership and their sister dealerships no longer want to work on the vehicle to solve the issue. Blacklisted MBUSA is reviewing the file. Can someone please tell me how to fix this car? Desperately seeking solution. Ready to escalate the vehicle to the National Highway Safety and Traffic Administration and start a class action law suit!! Every day I drive this vibrating clunker my blood pressure goes though the roof. Very disappointing experience. I thought MBUSA would stand behind its product "engineered like no other car in the world"..."the best, or nothing at all"
Old 10-14-2016, 03:31 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by jwf3154
it is clear to me that MB knows there is a problem with 21 inch wheels on GL 550's yet they continue to sell them. I have had no luck correcting the problem, the car is on the third set of tires at 15,000 mi. The vibration is so bad an exhaust bracket was missing. MBUSA is telling me my local dealership and their sister dealerships no longer want to work on the vehicle to solve the issue. Blacklisted MBUSA is reviewing the file. Can someone please tell me how to fix this car? Desperately seeking solution. Ready to escalate the vehicle to the National Highway Safety and Traffic Administration and start a class action law suit!! Every day I drive this vibrating clunker my blood pressure goes though the roof. Very disappointing experience. I thought MBUSA would stand behind its product "engineered like no other car in the world"..."the best, or nothing at all"
This "mysterious" vibration is definitely a shame but not sure on me or MBUSA. I worked with two dealerships but all they can do is keep balancing the tires but that didn't work. I visited local tire shops to try and balance and roadforce adjust to near perfection but nothing.

So at the end, the best was not the best and I got noting because we sold our beloved GL. While we still can't find another comparable replacement, anything is better than driving the GL with that vibration.

Some owners say they don't have the symptom, not sure if they don't feel it or they have one that was built on a Wednesday and not Friday
Old 10-15-2016, 09:03 AM

2015 GL 550
Originally Posted by panameraTT
Again it begs the question WHY? My certified Gl550 came with certifiable Continetal UHP's that shook. I was forced to PURCHASE another set of tires, Pirelli Winter Scorpions, and after it took 11 tires to road force within spec, the GL still has a shake. So again it begs a deeper dive into why there could be such an issue with balancing out a round object like a tire on these specific GL's. I have never heard of any other vehicle having so many issues balancing wheels/tires in my experience. I would like to know how many owners are or have experienced this issue and if you incurred costly out of pocket expenses to try and fix a pretty apparent defect in engineering these cars. How many trips to the dealer to get this fixed is too many? And when the dealer and MB USA tell you a vibration is normal, moreover a "feature", again I ask is this acceptable for any car. Show me the GL brochure, does it state that shaking and vibrations at normal highway speeds are part of any package or option? Anyways for other owners that are fed up with their experiences related to this thread please PM me as I would like to talk to you and hear more about your story and if it was resolved. For those that have paid out of pocket expenses I would like to hear from you as well.
it is a disgusting abuse of a solid corporate name that prides itself on engineering and excellence in brand name. I am done. Stuck with a vibrating pieces of junk Sadly ALL the technicians I have been to and there have been many over the past six months acknokeged the vibratin exists but I gumm
Old 10-15-2016, 02:56 PM

2015 GL 550
GL 550 Vibrations

Unfortunately MB USA is full aware of the vibration but insists the car is safe and the vibration is within spec...go figure...I am on the third set of tires at 15,000 mi. numerous road force balancing, switching out 21 for 2 for 19 inch wheels and guess what...same problem. worse yet I have considered knocking down to a GL 450...2017...in the care the service technician looks at me and we both agree.vibration at 65 mph...like engineered precise clockwork...I have been at this for 8 months no solution...yet they keep selling the vehicle...one service foreman said "without getting all legal" there is an inherent vibration...at this point the vehicle and MBUSA should be held accountable and the issue should be reported to the National Highway and Traffice Safety Bureau and or class action lawsuits considered...truly ashame ..the car looks beautiful like the prettiest girl at the dance but she has two left feet! seriously I had a GL 450 for 8 years and loved it...this pig won't drive nice even with lipstick on it. Dump it and run...I even lost an exhaust bracket with the vibration in spec? its a real embarrassment to the brand..I plan to contact Motor Trend Magazine, the NY Times and the State's Attorney General Office...its illegal to sell cars with known defects....who's in with me on this?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
FWIW, I see these threads in just about every forum (Audi/BMW/MB/VW). With the stupid market infatuation with big rims, this is just inevitable. There is simply no way around this. The only solution for a complete vibration free experience is smaller wheel + larger tire sidewall. I have driven friends' and family vehicles who claimed to have no vibration only to experience just the opposite. Its a personal thing. Some people feel it more than others.

My $0.02.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 PM

2015 GL 550
Gl

Originally Posted by 4everalone
FWIW, I see these threads in just about every forum (Audi/BMW/MB/VW). With the stupid market infatuation with big rims, this is just inevitable. There is simply no way around this. The only solution for a complete vibration free experience is smaller wheel + larger tire sidewall. I have driven friends' and family vehicles who claimed to have no vibration only to experience just the opposite. Its a personal thing. Some people feel it more than others.

My $0.02.
wherls are round. They go on cars. They are engineered that way. Why does NBUSA sell cars with wheels that vibrate? Are their engineers asleep?
Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 PM

wherls are round. They go on cars. They are engineered that way. Why does NBUSA sell cars with wheels that vibrate? Are their engineers asleep?
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that you are just frustrated. No amount of posting about it is going to make you feel better or solve the issue. Like i said, this is not an isolated issue and if you just want to move on, get rid of the wheels/vehicle and replace as needed. I personally notice some vibration at 70 mph, but it's barely a trickle. My dad couldn't even tell when i showed it to him. He thought i was nuts. I've seen a lot worse and if it's enough to bother you so much, i strongly recommend replacing things as mentioned above. Good luck!

for reference, here is a thread from a Touareg Forum... You'll find an interesting resemblance to your issues.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/steering-vibration-79121.html#/topics/79121?_k=v7lpoc

Last edited by 4everalone; 10-18-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:00 PM

2015 GL 550
Frustrating? After spending close to $100,000 for a vehicle it's a little dismissive to instruct someone to get over it. It is no a slight vibration. It thumps like something is caught in the frint tires. I would be thrilled if it were only hardly noticeable. Leave the therapists advice to someone else
Old 10-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Frustrating? After spending close to $100,000 for a vehicle it's a little dismissive to instruct someone to get over it. It is no a slight vibration. It thumps like something is caught in the frint tires. I would be thrilled if it were only hardly noticeable. Leave the therapists advice to someone else
Wow! Ok, my fault for even trying. Carry on.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:10 PM

2015 GL 550
Frustrating? After spending close to $100,000 for a vehicle it's a little dismissive to instruct someone to get over it. It is no a slight vibration. It thumps like something is caught in the front tires. I would be thrilled if it were only hardly noticeable. Leave the therapists advice to someone else
Old 10-18-2016, 10:36 PM

2015 GL 550
were you offering help or assistance of any kind?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Porsche GT3, 2017 Mercedes GLS550 White/saddle, 2017 Ford Raptor
2017 GLS 550 here. 5k miles. Same 21 inch wheels... different paint. No vibrations and smooth as silk. Will keep you guys updated when the tires are replaced or if anything changes.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2017 GLS 63 AMG and have the vibration that was mentioned by many on this thread. Seems to happen right between 55-65mph, coincidently the speed limit of most of the highways in my area.

I felt the vibration from Day 1 but it seemed to only get worse as time went on. Initially, I thought it was just the tire pressure being off but I continued to feel it after check the tire pressures.

The car is in service now and dealer says the other GLS 63s on the lot also do the same thing and their initial thoughts is that it can't be the tires because the "other GLS 63s" also have a similar vibration.

I have 22" AMG wheels. A few people mentioned its because the wheels are so big but I've have other high performance SUVs with 21-22" wheels that don't have any similar vibration at speed (ie. X5M and Range Rover Autobiography).
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM

GL550
Similar issues... resolved... kind of!

I have a 2013 GL 550 with the 21" AMG wheels. I too experienced the vibration issues once I got up to about 60 MPH. The tires are Continental Extreme Contacts - 295/40 ZR21.

I first had Costco perform a wheel balance and noticed zero difference even though their tech stated that they had achieved a perfect balance.

I then asked the local MB dealer to review after reading this thread and fearing the worst (that I'd be stuck with the problem forever). The dealer inspected the rotors, etc. but ended up only needing to perform a Road Force wheel balance. The balance has fixed the problem for me. I don't know the difference between a Costco wheel balance machine and what MB was using but appears to be a difference!

This all said, I don't drive this vehicle a lot and I notice that when the truck sits for a couple days / weeks, the tires do begin to develop flat spots that cause the same vibration issues as before. Once the tires "warm up" the vibration goes away which would lead me to believe (at least in my case) that this is truly a tire issue and not some global defect with bad wheels, rotors, etc. I echo many of the prior comments about big wheels and low profile tires... I love the look, but the ride is too harsh!
Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by benton55
I have a 2013 GL 550 with the 21" AMG wheels. I too experienced the vibration issues once I got up to about 60 MPH. The tires are Continental Extreme Contacts - 295/40 ZR21.

I first had Costco perform a wheel balance and noticed zero difference even though their tech stated that they had achieved a perfect balance.

I then asked the local MB dealer to review after reading this thread and fearing the worst (that I'd be stuck with the problem forever). The dealer inspected the rotors, etc. but ended up only needing to perform a Road Force wheel balance. The balance has fixed the problem for me. I don't know the difference between a Costco wheel balance machine and what MB was using but appears to be a difference!

This all said, I don't drive this vehicle a lot and I notice that when the truck sits for a couple days / weeks, the tires do begin to develop flat spots that cause the same vibration issues as before. Once the tires "warm up" the vibration goes away which would lead me to believe (at least in my case) that this is truly a tire issue and not some global defect with bad wheels, rotors, etc. I echo many of the prior comments about big wheels and low profile tires... I love the look, but the ride is too harsh!
Costco does not do road-force balancing, just a normal balance. It makes a big difference in vehicles with large wheels/tire diameters. In vehicles with tall sidewalls on tires, not so much.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 PM

GL500
Same here

I wish I'd read this thread before pulling the trigger. Just recently bought a 2013 GL500 (GL550 elsewhere) @ 46,000 KM only. I think that last months car was rarely used as owner has left the country and left to a friend to sell.

Vibration start early if you are looking for them and maximise around 105 km (65mph) , tire pressure perfectly matched, tires are 1,5 year old P Zero's, probably changed a year ago. Car has been recently services ad Mercedes dealer and has 1 year warranty, so we bought it without testing it on the highway, which was a mistake.

I've not sure any body experienced it but when going up hill, vibrations can not be noticed any longer.

Service attendant confirmed the vibrations, which were quite easy to notice and way too much to sell as a feature of the car.

We will be at the garage for a wheel alignment tomorrow. service looks very properly equipped with every possible gadget on the planet (@ Dubai)

Will let you know the out come.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp

I have a '14 GL450 CPO purchased from a local dealer about 2 months ago with close to 44 k on the clock. During the test drive I noticed some vibration around 65 mph. Salesman said if it persisted to come back and they'd fix it. Did not notice it much after that. 2 weeks ago I noticed a little shuddering at idle. I made an apt with the dealer to get the 360 backup camera worked on (success!). I mentioned the shuddering and wound up with 2 new motor mounts. Car runs smooth as silk now. Service invoice said motor mounts "collapsed"! Offering this up as a long shot. Never in over a million miles behind the wheel have I had a motor mount failure. So maybe they are crap from new, and some start to fail earlier than others. Note the remark about visual inspection "under load".
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM

GL500
I asked the service to check the motor mounts.

I also checked the tiers of other GL500's on the service parking lot, and interestingly almost all of them had the continentals with only one exception which was wearing P Zero's.

I checked around 8 vehicles (in here there are a lot of GL's) and statistically it's very low probability that that's a coincidence.

Tomorrow they will carry out the tests and let me know.

br
Mertol
Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 PM

GL500
Need some recommendations

As expected tires couldn't pass the road balance test and they told me 3 of the 4 has flat spots. I need to believe in them as I know the car did not move much during last months as owner left the country. It's a pity as the Pirelli's have lot of millage left on them and I need to spend 1.5k on 4 new tires.

How ever out of the service vibration pattern seems to have changed. It's less apparent and it happens in a narrower band (of speed) , around 105kph and goes away when faster. I will test more before I pull the trigger but as I am a complete noob on tires and large size SUV's , I am in need of some recommendation from you guys.

1) I assume the answer is no but can this 'flat tire' problem go away after some usage in a hot climate like DUBAI after some consistent usage? Tires are around 1 year old with minimum usage.

2) I know I won't replace them with Pirelli's. Do you recommend Continentals or Michelins? My priorities are :
- Ability with stand some abuse like hitting pavement at low angle (hope my wife is not reading)
- Ride Comfort
- Brake performance (it's all summer here with rain dropping every five years)

Recommendations with models would really help me as I absolutely know very little about. I see a lot of continentals on GL500 here.

br
Mertol
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Originally Posted by Mertol

Recommendations with models would really help me as I absolutely know very little about. I see a lot of continentals on GL500 here.
I have a '14 GL550, have been using Conti's (UHP). I like all aspects of the tire except they have a crappy lifespan - maybe 18K miles, from my experience. I am also getting excessive inner tire wear - even though dealer has done 2 alignments within the past 2 years. Maybe they're screwing me over ....
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 PM

GLS
So I'm ordering a gls 63. I had specd it with the 22s but this thread has me reconsidering. Thoughts? Has anyone here tried a 45 sidewall instead of 40? Maybe the extra height would help the ride? I had a similar problem on my cayenne turbo s and I instructed a wheel and tire place to use a hunter roadforce balancer and get the roadforce number under 12. That definitely helped.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
So I'm ordering a gls 63. I had specd it with the 22s but this thread has me reconsidering. Thoughts? Has anyone here tried a 45 sidewall instead of 40? Maybe the extra height would help the ride? I had a similar problem on my cayenne turbo s and I instructed a wheel and tire place to use a hunter roadforce balancer and get the roadforce number under 12. That definitely helped.
I too wonder about this. The 40 series tire on a 22 seems a little harsh and there appears to be enough room for a 45. My used 17' has stock 20s and i also feel the vibration on brand new Pirellis from the dealer. Might have to get them rebalanced.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:17 AM

GL500
Switched to continentals. It's significantly better but I think there is still some vibration , but on a lot narrower band (just around 105km , below it it's not recognisable) , however I only felt it once , it might the road or tires being cold.

I will test more and let you know.

On the other hand I don't really like the idea of going to a vacation for 2 weeks and needing to replace the tires when I return as they develop flat spots so quickly. This is not reasonable. I think I'd have gone the Land Cruiser route.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Originally Posted by Mertol
Switched to continentals. It's significantly better but I think there is still some vibration , but on a lot narrower band (just around 105km , below it it's not recognisable) , however I only felt it once , it might the road or tires being cold.

I will test more and let you know.

On the other hand I don't really like the idea of going to a vacation for 2 weeks and needing to replace the tires when I return as they develop flat spots so quickly. This is not reasonable. I think I'd have gone the Land Cruiser route.
Over-inflate while you are away

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vibration problem with a new GL550