GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013-14 GL with ADS and curve control - opinion needed on comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda civic
2013-14 GL with ADS and curve control - opinion needed on comfort

Hello all, I am a potential buyer of a (probably 2014) GL350. What I am seeking to learn is how a GL compares to, let’s say, a S-class in terms of smoothness on a rough road. If I did not need the space of a SUV then I would probably get a S and be done with it, but for my family and I this would be very impractical.

Specifically, if you have driven a GL with the active damping and curve control, I am very interested in your opinions. I have read several mag reviews commenting on how a GL gets close to the feel of an S, however after test-driving one I cannot say that I agree, though the one I test-drove was without the ADS and curve systems (fairly basic GL450 with 19" wheels).

The issue at hand is I have bad arthritis in my spine that makes driving very uncomfortable for me. I have test-driven just about everything that I can think of, but have not quite found “the one” yet. I am driving a Honda civic atm so anything would be an improvement, but if I were spending money on a new car, I would rather get exactly what I want. Price is not an issue.

I know that i can put 18's on the 350 which would give me softer tire options, but i would want it to be fairly smooth to start with. I would just test drive one that had the specs i want, however they do not seem to exist where I am (central Texas).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The smoothest riding luxury SUV I have driven is the 2013 GL550 with Off-Road and Active Curve. However, "smooth" to me is a comparative on driving experience between one SUV and another.

With your physical issues - nothing will substitute for actual driving experience in the target vehicles under your consideration - because frankly there is a light year of difference between "driving experience" and "ride experience".

Keep the beat !
Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 PM

honda civic
I think i may have found one in Houston that at least has the ADS (though not the curve control), so I think I will give that a shot.

fabbrisd1, have you ever driven a semi recent suburban? I have test-driven just about everything else other than a GL with ADS and curve, and that was the closest I've found that is smooth enough (though the 3rd row seats don't fold down which is a big negative).
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM

2018 e63 wagon, R8 GT, 991 GT3, Golf GTI, Jetta GLI
Did you look at the Lexus LX570. That's has a smooth and very quiet ride.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM

honda civic
I haven't as of yet, mainly because i haven't sat in a lexus that i thought had a comfortable seat (tried the RX one that everyone says is a good ride), though maybe the LX is different. There arent any Lexus dealers close to me, but maybe on the trip to houston I may swing by one.

thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM

2018 e63 wagon, R8 GT, 991 GT3, Golf GTI, Jetta GLI
Never owned an RX but the LX is very nice car. Try one out, the test drive is free. It's no canyon carver but it's silky smooth.

Last edited by adubm3; 07-18-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM

honda civic
It is interesting how different the buying experience can be between different brands. I walked into a chevy/Cadillac dealer yesterday to test drive a Cadillac escalade, and upon the end of my test-drive i got bombarded by the sales manager trying to push me into the sale. After telling him my situation and what i wanted to close the deal (test drive the caddy with 18" wheels) he said he couldn't do it unless I bought it first!

Meanwhile, I will be test driving a S-class when i head backup north in a few weeks (to examine the effect of an ADSII suspension), and they are working out a (possible) deal to where if the GL doesn't fit my needs, then they will refund the deposit. Overall I have been very impressed with the MB dealership so far.

Still have the lexus LX to test, but so far the GL is still on top.