GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Serious advice need from Bluetec drivers on biodiesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks Todd, my whole intention is to make sure everyone is aware, and share what I'm learning to allow others to become knowledgeable.

Your observation is exactly what had me concerned. If engine failure under warranty in gasoline engines is 1 out of 1,000 (I made this number up), a company would price the vehicle to incorporate that average into the price. If a company knew biodiesel had no impact on failure rate, I would think they'd just honor the warranty. Sure, they could make a big deal how supportive they are of their customers and make it look like they were really giving something here, even if it's the proverbial sleeves off the vest.

If the failure rate of biodiesel is known and significantly higher (lets say for this example it's 10 times higher), then they would know they have a financial problem upcoming because they haven't set aside enough money for warranty claims. The company would take the not covered position.

My phone conversation with MB wasn't a firm no, they said it wouldn't be covered if attributed to >B5 biodiesel, but they also said they would consider purchase history, service history, extended warranty purchase, etc on a case by case basis.

This leads me to believe they simply don't know. They don't have enough experience with biodiesel to predict a failure rate. I would bet they are monitoring failures in Illinois closely, and now will monitor in PA and MN as well to determine whether there is a discernible impact. If they are noticing no higher failure rate with boidiesel, they will be likely to honor the warranty on a good will gesture. But if they are getting engines failing every day they will protect profitability and deny most claims.

Sorry, long winded post, again..

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 04-17-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: reformatted the flow
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
I am not going to cancel my order for my GL. I have to believe that the engineering expertise at Mercedes Benz will shine through here. Surely if GM, Audi/VW, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, (a division of Daimler) and others have been able to certify their engines to function with B20, then it doesn't seem to be an impossible task. I am told the market for the GL350 Bluetec is really strong overseas in case I need to sell it and I am glad the fee for the extended warranty is completely refunded if I don't use it as I am planning to get the 7/100 term. I was hoping to keep this GL for a very long time. Biodiesel is here to stay, do you think Mercedes Benz will hand over the US diesel market to BMW and Audi?
I hope not.............I sure wish their attitude was a bit better though.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Todd in PA
I am told the market for the GL350 Bluetec is really strong overseas in case I need to sell it and I am glad the fee for the extended warranty is completely refunded if I don't use it as I am planning to get the 7/100 term. .
The dealer will make you sign a form so you can't export the car.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 AM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
Originally Posted by BlownV8
The dealer will make you sign a form so you can't export the car.
Maybe so, but for the sake of discussion, I will have signed a purchase contract implying suitability for use! If there is only B20 available here in 4 years, within my warranty period, and the engine is damaged by the use of such fuel, my GL will be too big to be a lawn ornament, I'll have to sell it. In any case I am not an exporter. It can't be incumbent upon me to know what happens to my used truck after I sell it to whoever buys it. Curiously, what does the form you speak of say?
What are the consequences if some exporter actually buys a US GL Bluetec and exports it to China? Do they arrest the exporter? Do they fine the exporter?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
What are the consequences if some exporter actually buys a US GL Bluetec and exports it to China? Do they arrest the exporter? Do they fine the exporter?
Actually, yes.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/big-tro...-from-the-u-s/
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW Z4
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
I think exporting is crime not selling to an exporter.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 AM

BMW Z4
I am not going to cancel my order for my GL. I have to believe that the engineering expertise at Mercedes Benz will shine through here. Surely if GM, Audi/VW, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, (a division of Daimler) and others have been able to certify their engines to function with B20, then it doesn't seem to be an impossible task. I am told the market for the GL350 Bluetec is really strong overseas in case I need to sell it and I am glad the fee for the extended warranty is completely refunded if I don't use it as I am planning to get the 7/100 term. I was hoping to keep this GL for a very long time. Biodiesel is here to stay, do you think Mercedes Benz will hand over the US diesel market to BMW and Audi?
I hope not.............I sure wish their attitude was a bit better though.
This is exactly what I am thinking. I am going to take the delivery. MO is B5 at this time. The day they move towards mandated B20, I am going to sell it. Not worth the hassle IMO. Overall pretty disappointed with the whole situation. Will think hard and twice before buying a diesel again
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by whitecoatgeek
This is exactly what I am thinking. I am going to take the delivery. MO is B5 at this time. The day they move towards mandated B20, I am going to sell it. Not worth the hassle IMO. Overall pretty disappointed with the whole situation. Will think hard and twice before buying a diesel again
http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/defaul...t.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Has exception of allowing 20% biodiesel in IL for 2014. Will MBZ honor the exception for other states and older models?

Last edited by dave2001auto; 04-18-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: found new info.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
That wouldn't apply to me as I am not selling a new vehicle to be resold as new in China. It's not arbitrage if I am selling my 2-3 year old diesel due to lack of appropriate fuel here in the states. Thanks for that info and link though, makes me wonder what the used market is over there.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM

GL550
Jim, your comments on this matter are greatly appreciated by me and I am sure, others as well. I can't for the life of me imagine that Mercedes Benz could possibly not have the technology to successfully address this (only potential) problem. I am more worried about their attitude than the actual chance of needing an engine repair covered under warranty denied by my use of the only available government mandated fuel in the future. I'd feel better if Mercedes Benz were reassuring their customers, not telling them "too bad for you, our policy is steadfast, damage due to use of biodiesel blends greater than 5% is not covered under your warranty"
Nice command of the English language for a change.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 PM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Nice command of the English language for a change.
Thank you!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I received an e-mail from my service adviser, they are checking to see what MB will do here.

I also received a call from MBUSA. She stated that obviously the warranty would be in effect for all coverage non-related to fuel. She said that should I encounter a problem that is believed to be caused by use of unapproved (i.e. greater than 5% biodiesel) they would handle these on a case by case basis.

In my opinion here, they will look at your MB purchase history, your service history at MB dealerships, whether you purchased an MB extended warranty, etc in deciding how to help out. But there's not a definitive position. Some opinions seem to think 10% or even 20% biodiesel doesn't impact engines, others seem to think it will clearly cause issues, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
I'm not sure how this makes me feel. I'm obviously exposed, but not sure to what extent. I'm a loyal customer, having owned 3 MBs over the last 12 years, have purchased extended warranties, and have done all my service at my dealership.

I'll let you know if I hear anything from my dealership as well.
Hi Jim,
Thank you for your investigations. This makes me very nervous, we just got our BT last month, love the car but concerned about the future exposure. Wonder if we need to form a MN diesel forum and jointly appeal to MB/ legislators. I would imaging between various MB diesel car owners their are many with potential future issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
After reading all of these posts, I am still inclined in getting my GL350 next month. Regarding the previous post's comments, I rather be interested in joining a diesel forum for the entire U.S. can participate and jointly appeal MB/legislators. I think many who are MB diesel owners, regardless of which MB model, would be interested in appealing to MB and getting that piece of mind that MB would cover any issues that arise from biodiesel >5% since we have no control over the fuel quality or diesel type.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 PM

2006 ML 350 sold, 2014 Bluetec "Rudy"
I also would be interested in joining such a forum. Mercedes needs to hear for us.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM

2006 ML 350 sold, 2014 Bluetec "Rudy"
With Mercedes selling all these Sprinters on the road, what are those operators going to do with no backing from Mercedes?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Phil.mount
With Mercedes selling all these Sprinters on the road, what are those operators going to do with no backing from Mercedes?
Ironically enough, it was reading the Sprinter forums that helped assuage my fears about the GL350.

The Sprinter is actually a very popular vehicle for fleets that are running 20% (or greater) biodiesel. In fact, there are actually lots of companies running 100% bio in the Sprinter which uses a detuned version of the same OM642 motor in the GL.

The largest fear (apparently) is potential fuel contamination of the oil system that can theoretically occur over time during http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter when fuel is injected into the cylinders during the exhaust stroke. "Regular" diesel will vaporize as desired but bio with a higher flashpoint can remain liquid, stick to the cylinder walls, and seep into the oil system. With enough time and heat biodiesel can react with the oil to create the dreaded sludge once the engine oil is sufficiently diluted and/or the normal additives in synthetic oil are consumed.

So the fleet operators are simply doing more frequent oil and fuel filter changes and all appears to be well. I suspect this is the same reason the official MB Bluetec brochure for IL suggests checking for oil level increases that would provide an early indication of fuel in the oil system.

Ironically, the rest of the "bio" problems appear to be related to vehicles that have run diesel for a few years and then switched to a bio blend. Since the bio is a stronger solvent is will disturb the totally normal diesel deposits that form in the fuel system and it's those released particles that then create havoc in fuel filters and injectors.

We are simply going to enjoy our 350 and do an interim oil change between the normal 10K services. If this is sufficient for fleets running 100% bio it should be totally fine for the 5/10/20% blends we will see in MN.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 06-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

2014 GL350
Cadetdrivr,
How often between the normal 10K services would you do the interim oil changes? Would you do them at the dealership or would you consider taking it to a non-dealership? I am just concerned the cost adding up by taking it multiple times between normal services at the dealership.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by yk0786
Cadetdrivr,
How often between the normal 10K services would you do the interim oil changes? Would you do them at the dealership or would you consider taking it to a non-dealership? I am just concerned the cost adding up by taking it multiple times between normal services at the dealership.
Right now I'm gonna shoot for 5K and will do the service at the dealer as long as the truck is under warranty just so the oil changes are documented. I also ordered some oil analysis kits to do before each change so I'll also monitor trends as MN moves from 5% to 10% this summer. Based on what I've read on the diesel sub-forum here and the Spinter forums I'm not expecting to see any significant issues.

(Note: I am familiar with oil analysis from my day job and I'm also a bit of a nerd so for me this is all part of the fun. YMMV.)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Right now I'm gonna shoot for 5K and will do the service at the dealer as long as the truck is under warranty just so the oil changes are documented. I also ordered some oil analysis kits to do before each change so I'll also monitor trends as MN moves from 5% to 10% this summer. Based on what I've read on the diesel sub-forum here and the Spinter forums I'm not expecting to see any significant issues.

(Note: I am familiar with oil analysis from my day job and I'm also a bit of a nerd so for me this is all part of the fun. YMMV.)
Thank you for great post. PLease keep us informed of your oil analysis. Hopefully like you said this maynot be a big deal and an interim oil change will be good insurance
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec

Any easy assay for biodiesel in diesel #2? Water extraction at high pH? No HPLC please.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dave2001auto
Any easy assay for biodiesel in diesel #2? Water extraction at high pH? No HPLC please.
That's a great question that I would also be interested in learning.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I considered trading to a GL450, and thought I'd put my thinking here for others.

I decided to stay with my 2013 GL350 for the following reasons:

1) Illinois has been running B11 for quite awhile and we're not seeing the forums full of engine issues. Mercedes engineering looks like it's handling the biodiesel.

2) The warranty risk would require a "double fail" As an engineer I always prepare for single fails but spend less time on double fails. In this case I'd have to have engine problems (which based upon history is unlikely) as the first failure. Then I'd have to have an issue with MBUSA not covering the repairs (which is perhaps more likely given corporate profit objectives) as the second failure.

3) My discussions with a fuel expert running B20 in an MB350 and his belief there are minimal impacts, just check your oil

4) All the great help and advice from this forum's participants!!

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM

2014 GL350
Jim - If it helps any, when I picked up my GL350 this past monday, I did not have to sign anything related to the Biodiesel. I thought I had read somewhere in this forum some individuals signing a document that MB would not be held liable for Warranty claims if the damage due to using biodiesel greater than 5%.

When I spoke to my sales rep and finance rep, they told that its not under my control the fuel quality or amount of biodiesel. As long as you maintain the vehicle properly (i.e. maintenance services at the appropriate intervals, etc), they will take care of me if any issues arises.

So maybe MB has changed its thinking on biodiesels, I dunno.

Last edited by yk0786; 05-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 PM

MKX
This is a great discussion & glad I found it. Gave me a new perspective on the 350.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Mercedes GL350 Bluetech
Originally Posted by yk0786
Jim - If it helps any, when I picked up my GL350 this past monday, I did not have to sign anything related to the Biodiesel. I thought I had read somewhere in this forum some individuals signing a document that MB would not be held liable for Warranty claims if the damage due to using biodiesel greater than 5%.

When I spoke to my sales rep and finance rep, they told that its not under my control the fuel quality or amount of biodiesel. As long as you maintain the vehicle properly (i.e. maintenance services at the appropriate intervals, etc), they will take care of me if any issues arises.

So maybe MB has changed its thinking on biodiesels, I dunno.
My wife and I picked up our GL350 in March and the dealer (in SE PA) didn't ask us to sign any disclaimer on biodiesel %. I had to take the car in for a "check engine" light in may (computer fault, not fault of car, fuel, etc.) and asked the service advisor about the biodiesel issue. He said while max 5% was what is what is specified for the engine, they have not seen any issues that he was aware of. He gave the same advice to check engine oil level. My wife and I recently took a driving vacation down the East coast and back through the central part of the country putting 3K miles on in the process. In most states the pumps were marked with the biodiesel %. Where they weren't, I asked. In most cases I was told there was no biodiesel, just plain #2. I also found that at a few truck stops, the diesel fuel on the car side was 5% but on the truck side was different. Not sure why that is.

I think, as has been stated previously, that biodiesel will be an issue out in the plains states where farmers will pressure legislatures to raise biodiesel %'s. I will just stay away from states with >5%. Owners in MN, etc., I empathize with your concerns.

Last edited by highzeke; 06-10-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot part of what I wanted to say.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Serious advice need from Bluetec drivers on biodiesel