GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Serious advice need from Bluetec drivers on biodiesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by highzeke
My wife and I picked up our GL350 in March and the dealer (in SE PA) didn't ask us to sign any disclaimer on biodiesel %. I had to take the car in for a "check engine" light in may (computer fault, not fault of car, fuel, etc.) and asked the service advisor about the biodiesel issue. He said while max 5% was what is what is specified for the engine, they have not seen any issues that he was aware of. He gave the same advice to check engine oil level. My wife and I recently took a driving vacation down the East coast and back through the central part of the country putting 3K miles on in the process. In most states the pumps were marked with the biodiesel %. Where they weren't, I asked. In most cases I was told there was no biodiesel, just plain #2. I also found that at a few truck stops, the diesel fuel on the car side was 5% but on the truck side was different. Not sure why that is.

I think, as has been stated previously, that biodiesel will be an issue out in the plains states where farmers will pressure legislatures to raise biodiesel %'s. I will just stay away from states with >5%. Owners in MN, etc., I empathize with your concerns.
Was the truck side biodiesel higher or lower than the car biodiesel content?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 GL350, 2005 BMW X5 4.8is, 2015 BMW 328d
Originally Posted by Ed Wolcott
It is my understanding that the higher percentages of biodiesel will void the warranty because there is no API or SAE standards for lubricity and other characteristics of biodiesel...
...I have known of people who have run into real trouble with poorly controlled biodiesel, so I hope the quality of it is standardized soon.
There is a standard, ASTM 975 and D7467. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/bio...tions.html#b20

a330captain is correct, biodiesel not conforming to ASTM standards MUST label as non-branded diesel. It is the station owners who purchase poorly controlled biodiesel. Look for another station.

Last edited by drgeeforce; 06-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thought I'd give an update. We've been running 10% biodiesel in Minnesota since July 1st. I was up at my dealer for my 30K service yesterday. I talked to my salesman and my service advisor while I was waiting.

My salesman said that at their dealership they are no longer selling many diesels. They will order for a person, but once they hear about MB's position on >5% biodiesel and Minnesota's biodiesel laws, not many are interested in taking the chance.

When I talked to my SA, he said they haven't seen any issues so far, but of course it's only been a couple months. He was clearly concerned. I told him I've done a lot of research on the subject and that it doesn't appear that Illinois is seeing issues and they've been on 11% bio for quite awhile. He seemed relieved to hear that.

I still feel like I'm driving around a $90K car with a potential time bomb.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I still feel like I'm driving around a $90K car with a potential time bomb.
As long as you are buying from a reputable commercial dealer you are driving a jet-fuel compatible road rocket.

[The landmark adoption by ASTM of revisions to the D7566-11 standard in July 2011 allowed for commercial flight applications without the need for special permissions. Just as a new flight test or series of flight tests seldom failed to make news in the aviation industry, so too are commercial flights now permitted under the ASTM biofuel standard. For example, United Airlines made news Nov. 7 with the first U.S. commercial flight using biofuels. San Francisco-based Solazyme supplied algae oil that was refined into jet fuel by Honeywell’s UOP division near Houston. The blend used for the Boeing 737-800 flight was 40% Solazyme’s Solajet and 60% petroleum-derived commercial jet fuel (Jet-A)] http://articles.sae.org/10540/
Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I got this from a contact I have found at the Minnesota department of agriculture.

Has any of the Illinois owners seen this pamphlet? It doesn't really say they will honor the warranty.
No, it doesn't say that MB will honor the warranty if fuel is more than 5% and based on the many comments in this thread to the effect that MB explicitly says they won't honor the warranty if B6-20 is involved, that seems pretty clear. The MB pamphlet you linked to is disingenuous because it really implies that Illinois' B20 is all just fine and owners just need to take certain fairly simple and straightforward precautions.

It is a certainty that the pamphlet will be part of the plaintiff's evidence when a B20 warranty class action ends up being filed. MB needs to get spanked hard on this one.

Originally Posted by dave2001auto
http://www.biodiesel.org/docs/defaul...t.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Has exception of allowing 20% biodiesel in IL for 2014. Will MBZ honor the exception for other states and older models?
What exception? I didn't see anything relevant to this thread in the link. Maybe I missed something.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL350 Bluetec
I live in Chicago. I just bought a 2015 GL350 Bluetec. No one at the dealership thought to mention this issue to me (which I find quite surprising). I discovered it when I went to fill up for the first time. So far, I have only been able to locate one gas station with B5...and that is a 7-11 out by O'Hare (Higgins Road)...not the most convenient location...but better than nothing. Does anyone know of other stations in Chicago or near north suburbs selling B5 or less?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM

2013 Mercedes GLK 250 BlueTec, 2010 Buick Enclave AWD CXL-2
I knew about the Illinois concerns, but was not aware of the Minnesota mandate. Any more info on warranty coverage?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by kenobee
I knew about the Illinois concerns, but was not aware of the Minnesota mandate. Any more info on warranty coverage?
Nothing official, at least from Mercedes.

FWIW, I was checking the oil level on our GL350 weekly for noticeable increases in quantity which can be a direct indication of fuel contamination. Fuel can get into the oil in the current generation of common rail diesel engines that inject fuel in the DPF recharge cycle, and this is completely normal, but bio does not always evaporate like baseline #2 diesel which can then dilute the oil and cause other problems such as eventually sludging when the oil additives are diluted.

After nothing to report I started checking the oil monthly and now simply do oil changes every 5000 miles and don't think (or worry) about it.

Caveat: your GLK obviously has a different engine than the GL.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
This thread also has some information on Minnesota.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...sel-gl350.html

We are 5% biodiesel in the winter months, last summer was 10% biodiesel in the summer, they could go to 20% this year.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:15 AM

2015 GL350
This link is the MB position as well as being very informative on biodiesel and reasons not to go to high on the mix but what to watch for if you have no choice but to routinely use up to B20.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA..._Brochure5.pdf
Old 04-19-2015, 10:08 AM

GL 350
Thanks!

Guys... thank you very much for posting all of this information. I am just leaving on a trip through the US MidWest tomorrow and had no idea that this was an issue.

I'll be watching/checking for the ULSD label everywhere. Appreciate all of your dedication to informing us.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM

I love my 2016 gl350
Is this still an issue?
I had my first tank refill for my new GL350. I live in central New Jersey, I called the dealer and was not able to get a clear answer. What I got was" do not warty, this is not an issue in our state".
I am still not not convinced��
Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zeyad Alkaisi
Is this still an issue?
I had my first tank refill for my new GL350. I live in central New Jersey, I called the dealer and was not able to get a clear answer. What I got was" do not warty, this is not an issue in our state".
Your dealer is correct.

Biodiesel blend is not mandated in NJ and the pump at any service station that sells a blend will have, by law, a label stating they are selling a bio blend. So you will know before you start pumping.

Just stick to large volume stations that sell "branded" fuel (Shell, Chevron, etc.) and avoid the "discount" diesel that is of a lower quality and usually found at discount truck stops and off-brand service stations.

FWIW, it's been nearly two years for our GL in MN and everything is dandy....so far.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 01-21-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Zeyad Alkaisi
Is this still an issue?
I live a few miles from the jersey border and travel to jersey often. I have had my GL350 for almost two years now and I haven't had any issues. I fill my tank up mostly at Wawa and if a Wawa is not around, I stick to the branded fuels (Sunoco, Hess (now speedway), etc). I also just changed my fuel filter at 50K. As Cadet said, fill your tank up at the branded fuel stations and you shouldnt have any issues.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Any one use diesel at Edison Fuel Stop?
It very high volume by the amount of DEP fluid on hand.
Both gas and diesel are very low price but can't get any info on the diesel.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 AM

E320 Bluetec Diesel
Accidentally filled up my Bluetec with Biodiesel

Please help! Filled up with Biodiesel at a Walmart gas station. I have no idea the % of biodiesel in the fuel. Check engine light came on... Took it to the shop and had the codes read.... Common Rail System Failed... Oxygen sensor.....They reset it. Told me to add fuel cleaner and change the fuel filter and oil/filter. Then wait to see if it comes back on again. Any suggestion? Will this ruin the system with just one fill up? I just went from a CDI to a Bluetec. Help!!! I love my car!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Recutler
Please help! Filled up with Biodiesel at a Walmart gas station. I have no idea the % of biodiesel in the fuel. Check engine light came on... Took it to the shop and had the codes read.... Common Rail System Failed... Oxygen sensor.....They reset it. Told me to add fuel cleaner and change the fuel filter and oil/filter. Then wait to see if it comes back on again. Any suggestion? Will this ruin the system with just one fill up? I just went from a CDI to a Bluetec. Help!!! I love my car!
Where did this occur?

If you filled with the typical 5-20% blend this is almost certainly a coincidence and not a major concern.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Recutler
Biodiesel in the common US retail market is typically 2% to 5% to 20%, anything higher is available in select fuel depots. This amt should not affect the CR if used regularly. Since this was your first time using biodiesel, it probably was the formulation of the fuel. Biodiesel is notorious for dislodging gunk in dirty fuel tanks, caused by long term use of unblended diesel. I'd go with the fuel filter swap, fuel cleaner recommended for DIESEL FUEL ONLY, and add Diesel 911.

Last edited by drgeeforce; 08-29-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: clarify Diesel fuel Only
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB ML350 Bluetec
Diesel is a dead dog

I have owned the Bluetec diesel in both the 2012 ML and the 2014 GL model. The ML Bluetec after 2 months through an "add blue" code with 3,218 miles on the vehicle while my wife and I were in a long needed vacation for just us. The code then changed to "15 starts before engine shuts down for safety". Cutting our vacation short we returned the vehicle to the dealer who admitted they just bypassed the code per MB tech Dept. A few months later the turbo and oil cooler failed causing a 3 week service department visit.
We traded this POS in on the GL Bluetec after a friend said he was averaging 28mpg. The ML averaged only 20MPG. The GL had 55,004 miles on it when the #1 and #5 fuel injectors went out. Best part was I had it to the dealer the week prior complaining of a loss of power and fuel mileage. I was told everything was fine it was probably due to the Michelin Latitude tires that only had 15,000 miles on them. Best part my wife and I were on vacation yet AGAIN when this POS laid down. MB customer service towed the SUV an hour from us then told us to rent a car and return home and the "Re-unite" program would bring the SUV to our door. Lie! After talking to our dealer and the dealer it was towed to (5 hours from our home) the story changes to we could POSSIBLY be reimbursed $300/day or up to a max of $900 for trip interruption, rental car fees, and lodging. DO NOT BUY A BLUE TEC DIESEL!! Unless you want to buy ours it's for sale!
The following users liked this post:
Saul Geffen (11-05-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your nightmare Kevin. The BlueTec is a great car for the driver familiar with diesel engines. I personally get 30-32 mpg as evidenced on my avatar. I have experienced the oil cooler replacement, CAC hose leak, the Fuel system contamination, and the every 4 years suspension bag replacement. Having said this the GL has taken me across the US and back with good trip preparation at the start. Diesels are not for everyone.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
Originally Posted by kevin_grayson
I have owned the Bluetec diesel in both the 2012 ML and the 2014 GL model. The ML Bluetec after 2 months through an "add blue" code with 3,218 miles on the vehicle while my wife and I were in a long needed vacation for just us. The code then changed to "15 starts before engine shuts down for safety". Cutting our vacation short we returned the vehicle to the dealer who admitted they just bypassed the code per MB tech Dept. A few months later the turbo and oil cooler failed causing a 3 week service department visit.
We traded this POS in on the GL Bluetec after a friend said he was averaging 28mpg. The ML averaged only 20MPG. The GL had 55,004 miles on it when the #1 and #5 fuel injectors went out. Best part was I had it to the dealer the week prior complaining of a loss of power and fuel mileage. I was told everything was fine it was probably due to the Michelin Latitude tires that only had 15,000 miles on them. Best part my wife and I were on vacation yet AGAIN when this POS laid down. MB customer service towed the SUV an hour from us then told us to rent a car and return home and the "Re-unite" program would bring the SUV to our door. Lie! After talking to our dealer and the dealer it was towed to (5 hours from our home) the story changes to we could POSSIBLY be reimbursed $300/day or up to a max of $900 for trip interruption, rental car fees, and lodging. DO NOT BUY A BLUE TEC DIESEL!! Unless you want to buy ours it's for sale!
Wow! what a saga. I think the VW/Audi Diesels were a lot more reliable in my family's experience. Too bad they turned out to do it at the environment's expense . BMW used to have many problems in the early 3.0 diesels, not sure how the new ones are doing.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB ML350 Bluetec
DIESEL DOG

I may have miss spoke. I've owned diesels for over 30 years. Everything from heavy equipment Cat powered diesel dozers and excavators, John Deere farm tractors with Yanmar engines, generators, Ford Power strokes, and my favorite the GMC Duramax. Point being for the absolute babying I've done with the MB bluetecs, servicing at the dealership only, and road driving only they're weak and unreliable. Comparably the diesel motors in MB have higher maintenance costs then any of my other Diesel engines. The Bluetec engines however are the first diesels I've owned with the new DEF additive. My 2006 Duramax has never left me stranded in 207,000 miles with routine maintenance. MB has an issue.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 Evo X GSR & 2014 GL550 & 2012 A6 3.0T
I'm a big diesel proponent too. I'd owned one for 5 years before swapping it for the GL for more space. I got just about every member of my family to get into one. I should've probably started with that in my previous post .