GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Front brake rotors warped again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
Front brake rotors warped again.

So took our GL in for the "B" service last Friday. I told the SA that I feel a shudder while applying brakes again.

Sure enough. The rotors are warped again.

So the 3rd set of rotors are now going on to our GL.

Amazed this hasn't been figured out yet.

We've had the car for 16 months and put 21,xxx miles on it so far.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Sorry to hear that. I'm starting to feel shudder and wobbling in the steering and seat when braking with moderate pressure. I have 11,400 miles in 17 Months.

Did they cover your rotors under warranty ?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Well, the first set of rotors that warped were covered under warranty, and now this second set better be covered also. I'll pick the vehicle up this evening. This is clearly MB's problem. We aren't abusing the vehicle in any way.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes GL550
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Well, the first set of rotors that warped were covered under warranty, and now this second set better be covered also. I'll pick the vehicle up this evening. This is clearly MB's problem. We aren't abusing the vehicle in any way.
Yes very interested if the second second set (or third if you are counting the original set that came with the vehicle) was covered under warranty. I had to have my originals replaced at 11,000 miles. I currently have 16,000 miles but do not have the problem again yet. Just want to make a note to self as to whether they are covered the second time.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by Clark_CIA
Yes very interested if the second second set (or third if you are counting the original set that came with the vehicle) was covered under warranty. I had to have my originals replaced at 11,000 miles. I currently have 16,000 miles but do not have the problem again yet. Just want to make a note to self as to whether they are covered the second time.
how bad does the wobbling/shuddering become before you bring it in? i don't drive the GL a ton but recently the shudder has started and i'm thinking of having them inspect the rotors. i'm at about 11,500 now so i don't want to miss some cutoff for warranty claims for warped rotors.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
I have had 4 sets all covered and less than 20k miles currently and only 16 months old and only driven by wife and on weekends as it can go a week without being driven. Just took in for service b and all good so far on this last set. I also have a 2014 e350 with 5500 miles and starting to feel the same hard shuddering feeling when braking at highway speeds. I have had at 6 Benz's and I have never had issues with brakes until these latest and newest two rides. What gives MB?

Do a search for this thread
GL-450 FRONT BRAKE ROTORS WARPING

Last edited by terp97; 10-23-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Picked the GL up the other night. Everything covered under warranty, as it should be.

I hope they get this figured out soon; our lease is up in 18 months, and I'm not gonna be a happy camper if the problem is still going on when we return the vehicle at lease end, and since mileage will be over 50K probably which means no warranty, and they try to stick me with the bill for new rotors/brakes.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 AM

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
If you brake hard, you may land up with a very thin layer of the brake pad material stuck onto the brake disc surface in patches around the disc. After this when you brake, the brakes shudder as the brake pads go over the different areas of resistance on the brake disc. To correct this the brake pad residue on the brake discs needs to be removed by sanding the brake disc surface.

Brake discs do not warp easily.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI
If you brake hard, you may land up with a very thin layer of the brake pad material stuck onto the brake disc surface in patches around the disc. After this when you brake, the brakes shudder as the brake pads go over the different areas of resistance on the brake disc. To correct this the brake pad residue on the brake discs needs to be removed by sanding the brake disc surface.

Brake discs do not warp easily.
Im curious where your getting this info? "Bedding in" is standard practice with new rotors and pads and part of that process is purposely depositing material from the pads to the rotors to "season" the rotors. Material defects, bad design, or improper driving style will warp rotors quickly. I've never heard of material clumping on the rotor to the point of causing the peddle pulse commonly associated with warped rotors. A couple good heat cycles should easily clear the rotors of any foreign material negating any sanding. I'm not sure if our rotors even have enough meat to remove any material via sanding. I know my AMG rotors do not and are out of spec at the end of the pads life.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:12 AM

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
See link posted by 'Basic-ML320CDI' in M-Class (164) forum under
'Help ! Warped a second set of Rotors/Pads withint 4 months !!'.

Can't get the link to work here but it looks like this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 11-30-2014, 12:15 AM

GL550
I'll be having my second set replace next week - going in for its second service and nice big shudder under braking has developed. Just like the first time. I will have to dig up my original thread on it.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM

honda
At 27,000 miles (Purchased on Jan 2013), I felt the shudder while applying brakes on my GL 450. Took to my dealer and they are recommending to replace the front rotors and brake pads under warranty. Curious to know if we also need to replace the rear rotors and brake pads. It seems the material to construct the rotors were of inferior quality. I am worried that the rear rotors may wrap in the next few hundred miles...and may not be covered under warranty.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:47 PM

I've only had problems with my fronts. 3rd set on now.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:55 PM

2012 mercedes GL350
To all of you that are having brake shudder problems, nothing wrong with MB material or design, it's your servicing company that is over or unevenly torquing the wheel nuts, have your wheels torque to 110 f/p with a calibrated torque wrench not with so called calibrated colored extension device because the air pressure is not preset before use with the impact air tool that are generally used at the MB dealership, it just happen to me last week, I had to use nearly 200 fp to manually remove before re-torquing the wheel nuts.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 AM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by musquaro
To all of you that are having brake shudder problems, nothing wrong with MB material or design, it's your servicing company that is over or unevenly torquing the wheel nuts, have your wheels torque to 110 f/p with a calibrated torque wrench not with so called calibrated colored extension device because the air pressure is not preset before use with the impact air tool that are generally used at the MB dealership, it just happen to me last week, I had to use nearly 200 fp to manually remove before re-torquing the wheel nuts.

So honestly I have the same problem with my 2014 E350 4matic. I purchased the car last year with only 22k miles and 0 brake vibration. It started giving me vibration and a warping rotor like feed back on my steering wheel that continues to get worse I can also feel it on the brake pad. It’s horrible. This is unacceptable for a high quality brand. Honestly it’s a damn Mercedes-Benz okay... I should have world class rotor quality. Around 25k miles it started to progress rather quickly. I do like to drive quicker then the average driver and I knoticed that my brake vibrations started getting worse and now at 34k miles it’s getting so bad that I don’t even want to use my brakes anymore. Going back to your quote, I had to change a flat tire one day and I noticed that some of my wheel lugnuts were way over tourqed this could be the reason why everyone is getting fu**ed up rotors.... so I say make sure that they use a percussion torque tool. At the end of the day these are privately owned shops, so even though they are certified by Mercedes-Benz to provide services it’s not a “real” MB employed Mechanic working on your car like it would be in most places in Germany. You need to watch them over as they work on your car it’s absolutely bs.

Last edited by Oliboro100; 01-09-2018 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Miss spells
Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 AM

2014 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by terp97
I have had 4 sets all covered and less than 20k miles currently and only 16 months old and only driven by wife and on weekends as it can go a week without being driven. Just took in for service b and all good so far on this last set. I also have a 2014 e350 with 5500 miles and starting to feel the same hard shuddering feeling when braking at highway speeds. I have had at 6 Benz's and I have never had issues with brakes until these latest and newest two rides. What gives MB?

Do a search for this thread
GL-450 FRONT BRAKE ROTORS WARPING
I have 34k miles on my E-Class dealership will not cover my rotors under manufacture warranty. If I pay to get New front rotors and pads what is the warranty on that?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest you re-post in the correct E-Class forum - at 34K I am not aware of any MB warranty or goodwill that will apply - in general they are considered "wear" components - under MB guidelines on new/new cars there is a 0-15K mile period where Good Will can apply - in individual cases on factory replacement it might be possible to extended "good will" under same 15K - which would be at the discretion of the dealer and approved by MB.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 AM

2012 mercedes GL350
Rotors warping

The main reason brake rotor warping is the installation procedure,make sure that the wheels are hand tighten no pneumatic tools used,no exception,and that the final torque is 110 ftpd with a hand torque wrench,
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
I agree, saves your rims (especially aftermarket) and your rotors.

The main reason brake rotor warping is the installation procedure,make sure that the wheels are hand tighten no pneumatic tools used,no exception,and that the final torque is 110 ftpd with a hand torque wrench,
Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
I agree, saves your rims (especially aftermarket) and your rotors.
while I agree that hand torquing to spec is wise, turns out that it’s not root cause for warping, not in this case

MB did both my last warped sets, hand torques to spec, within 3K miles, no abuse, no tracking or racing or anything - it also turns out that the auto pilot feature, by design, drags breaks a lot, overheating them, may owners have had this issue

I’m on my third set of rotors - that’s three sets first one at 7k miles second at 11k and now again at 14k ...

Given that 1) the wheels were hand torqued to spec by MB 2) all rotors warped not just one (likely not a sticky caliper issue) 3) I’m the second owner, first owner had same issue 4) auto pilot theory advanced by several other owners with similar rotor warping issue, I’m going with 4

Combination of rotor spec with auto pilot not working well, they should spec different rotors or only use auto pilot with ceramics
Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Yugo Zastava
Btw does lane assist only apply rear brake or front as well (my dealer insisted rear only)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Now this is funny - "no tracking or racing or anything" - well they way you are going thru rotors - frankly you are "over driving" your GLS - and "positively" not using your tranny paddles - and "YES" and braking active safety systems in your GLS use rear brakes only and NEVER activate front brakes (with the two exception being ABS abd Collision Prevention Assist+)

If this is your 1st ultra-luxury SUV - it's OK to have a learning curve..
Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Now this is funny - "no tracking or racing or anything" - well they way you are going thru rotors - frankly you are "over driving" your GLS - and "positively" not using your tranny paddles - and "YES" and braking active safety systems in your GLS use rear brakes only and NEVER activate front brakes (with the two exception being ABS abd Collision Prevention Assist+)

If this is your 1st ultra-luxury SUV - it's OK to have a learning curve..
Hi there, not sure if this was a reply to me, mine is an E63S, the first set of rotors were at 5k from the first owner, not me, my two sets came within 4K miles or so, I rarely use the brakes, I mostly use paddles to slowdown, have owned over 40 sports cars, currently have 14, most of them on steel, a few on Ceramics, raced for years, instructed for years, never bent rotors on my Ferraris, Lambos, or Porsches, this is my first car with lane assist, which is kind of a pain in the neck, but also my suspicion that that’s the culprit
Old 04-12-2019, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by speefspeed
...this is my first car with lane assist, which is kind of a pain in the neck, but also my suspicion that that’s the culprit
Your dealer is of course correct, only the rear brakes are applied for active lane keeping assist (that's why those who keep it turned on, I have it turned off, go through rear pads twice as fast as the fronts). Hence obviously it is not the cause of the front brakes warpage on your car.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 PM

Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Your dealer is of course correct, only the rear brakes are applied for active lane keeping assist (that's why those who keep it turned on, I have it turned off, go through rear pads twice as fast as the fronts). Hence obviously it is not the cause of the front brakes warpage on your car.
correct but autopilot constantly brakes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front brake rotors warped again.