GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2015 GL350 order advice for a rookie please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Thx for quick response.
Just so I'm understanding correctly, so my GL has the airmatics but does it adjust on its own for comfort and sport - and i just lose the manual selection - or is it always fixed in one of the two settings? If no adjustments, not sure how that's a benefit vs. having trad'l shocks/struts?
PL
Airmatic provides a softer ride and isolates you from minor road imperfections. It also provides load balancing and adjusts the ride height based on speed. It lowers the GL at higher speeds for the purposes of reducing fuel consumption and added stability.

ADS allows the driver to adjust the firmness of the dampers. In the sport setting, it lowers the GL .6" at all speeds and while parked. Supposedly, ADS also, per the manual, automatically adjusts the dampers based on driving style, road surface conditions, and whatever setting (comfort or sport) you've selected. On airmatic equipped vehicles, the sport vs comfort settings are very noticeable. If you have ADS set to sport and you swerve suddenly, the dampers don't want to let the wheels travel up or down quickly which results in reduced body roll. Obviously, the lower your vehicle is, the less it is going to want to roll.

From my experience, the non ADS equipped GLs have a very nicely balanced damping setup that is slightly firmer than ADS equipped GLs in comfort mode. And yes, a non ADS equipped GL stays in that same damping mode all of the time.

If you have Active Curve, you have roll bars that hydraulically decouple when you are going slow or straight (over simplification) which allows wheels on one side of the vehicle to easily travel up or down without the wheels on the opposing side doing the same. This keeps occupants from being tossed about like the X164 GL used to do when entering or exiting a driveway apron that is angled. On curves, the roll bars are coupled so that basically the wheel on the outside of the turn can't easily travel up without the wheel on the inside moving up as well. This is what keeps the vehicle from rolling on curvy roads.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GL350
Originally Posted by 43221B
For tight fits like you are talking about in your garage, you need to get a laser pointer from Amazon or other retailer that attaches to your garage ceiling. I use one and I swear, I can park within a half inch of the same spot every time. I have mine set to point at the edge of the instrument panel glare shield. I can watch the laser move over the top of the glare shield and as soon as it gets to the edge I know to put the car in park.

http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-Innovati...parking+system

As for the wheel issue, I've rented a GL with 19" wheels for a week and I own one with 20"s. I found that the 19" wheels feel almost identical to my 20" wheels. Now here's the catch, I use Continentals in the summer and Pirelli Ice and Snow now in the winter. This of course is an added expense but the ride on the Continentals is so dramatically different than the OE Pirelli all season tires that it is easily worth the added expense. Also, I haven't yet used the winter tires in the snow but from what I understand, the added traction you get from a dedicated snow tire is worth the expense. If you are planning to keep your GL for while, I would get a second set of wheels. The GL will go through tires every 30-40k miles so your only real expense will be the TPMS and extra set of wheels. If you live in a warm climate, I would switch to the Continental summer tires as soon as your Pirellis wear out if you go with 20" wheels.

Here is a Motortrend article about this exact issue on the GL and I have to say that I found their comments about the Pirelli tires to be spot on. They felt that the GL63 with 21" Continentals had a better ride than the GL350 with the 20" Pirellis. As soon as they switched the 350 to the Continentals, problem solved.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...etec_update_5/

I forgot that you mentioned you live in AZ andedave, I would check to see what they are putting on the 20" wheels for GL's that are shipped to AZ. The Continentals are listed on Tirerack's website as an OE tire.
Great advice. Just ordered the laser - beats a tennis ball on a string. lol. The build ticket lists R02 All Season Tires. Shooting a note off to the dealer as well to see if we can change them for Continental summers. Much appreciate you sharing your experience.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No - All Season is all that ships for that wheel selection
Old 11-10-2014, 05:11 PM

2015 GL350
Thanks fabbrisd1. Dealer responded as well. Guess I'll live with 'em - Nothing to compare with so will probably love the reputed MB ride anyway Should be much improved from my Ridgeline.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 PM

2015 GL350
My GL350 production date slipped from 1/11 to 1/25 due to C250 ramp up in the Alabama plant I'm told. Curious if anyone else has experienced this recently. But, jazzed that it's now listed as priority 1, in production with changes frozen and seems to be firming up to be in my (read my wife's) hands by 2nd week of February - Yea!!!
Considering a dealer add on of a 3M clear bra for the hood, mirrors, and door handles for around $750 - would be very interested to hear opinions if this is worth while in the long run - paint is the Diamond White Metalic so concerned with any chance of yellowing, or paint issues in the future as I plan on keeping the car for at least a decade.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Lightning, GL350 and a couple of outbacks
been reading old threads on 350s since I'm trying to order one right now. Your build is very similar to mine except exterior color. We've had the 3M film on two different cars now and really enjoyed it. The hood on our non-3M car has a ton of rock chips and pits that aren't on the other vehicles. Also the inner door cups inside the handle are a great place, the non-3M car has a ton of scratches from my wife's rings. It was a 4 year old Odyssey when we bought it so getting the 3m wasn't on our list. Also I would consider a strip on the door edge to protect against hitting something when you open the door, a strip on the back bumper to protect it as you load, and on the side mirrors.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
Originally Posted by andedave
My GL350 production date slipped from 1/11 to 1/25 due to C250 ramp up in the Alabama plant I'm told. Curious if anyone else has experienced this recently. But, jazzed that it's now listed as priority 1, in production with changes frozen and seems to be firming up to be in my (read my wife's) hands by 2nd week of February - Yea!!!
Considering a dealer add on of a 3M clear bra for the hood, mirrors, and door handles for around $750 - would be very interested to hear opinions if this is worth while in the long run - paint is the Diamond White Metalic so concerned with any chance of yellowing, or paint issues in the future as I plan on keeping the car for at least a decade.
$750 is a good price for clear bra.. If you are keeping the car for several years it's worth the investment. I've only had it on Silver or Black cars with no yellowing after several years. Can't speak to it's longevity on a White vehicle.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM

2015 GL350
Thanks KF and another. Appreciate the advice and am inclined to add the protection. The white is of some concern but want to hear/read more on the metal flake aspect especially. I'm sure they've overcome (years/decades) past of issues with paint but not sure on the bra. Plan on keeping the car 10+ years so want to make sure the paint is fully cured first (3-4 weeks?) and better understand impact from metal flake reflection especially in AZ where I am.

Having said that will do door edge and door handle cups for sure.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 PM

2015 GL350
Window tint, paint protective film & personal damage protection

Originally Posted by KF93
been reading old threads on 350s since I'm trying to order one right now. Your build is very similar to mine except exterior color. We've had the 3M film on two different cars now and really enjoyed it. The hood on our non-3M car has a ton of rock chips and pits that aren't on the other vehicles. Also the inner door cups inside the handle are a great place, the non-3M car has a ton of scratches from my wife's rings. It was a 4 year old Odyssey when we bought it so getting the 3m wasn't on our list. Also I would consider a strip on the door edge to protect against hitting something when you open the door, a strip on the back bumper to protect it as you load, and on the side mirrors.
Wincos window tint, xpel ultimate paint protection film and personal damage protection - door edge, handles, rear bumper - all for $1,100 incl tax. Seems like good deal for good products?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you are co-ordinating these add-on's thru the dealer - in Phoeniz you have the opportunity to shop for the best:

1) Your bra for the GL must be a "hand-cut" install to make you happy - especially planning for your "long term hold" - your $750 quote is "standard" quote for install of a pre-cut kit. Please do google for 3M Ventureshield - and using your zip code check with those listed installers to find out who does hand cut - for impact protection Ventureshield is much better than Xpel "Ultimate" - Xpel is the king-of-computer-cut kits off a PC. Yes - get the bra done as soon as possible upon delivery - this is new-tech-nano-clearcoat... "old school rules" don't apply in the same way as you think - and frankly if you get a rock chip in those 3 weeks you are going to kick yourself silly.

2) Winco tint - that's all-the-same-stock-tint - in Phoeniz you need to shop 3M Crystalline - and also consider adding Chrystalline "clear" tint inside the sunroof(s) - and consider clear inside the windshield as well
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
Originally Posted by andedave
Much thanks to all the advice. Truly appreciated. I've asked the dealer to add ADS which shouldn't be a problem since he said I have a factory production date of Jan 11th. I do have the lighting pkg and the parking assist/tronics pkg. A bit torn on the appearance package that I ordered that includes 20" wheels vs just the running boards and standard 19" wheels/tires. I've read about the better ride with 19", curious if anyone has experience with both. 42331b made a case for ADS comfort mode experienced as a bit better than standard so wondering if there is significant/noticeable difference with the combination 19" + ADS or 20" ADS or am I just over thinking all this awesome feedback I'm getting. Wife's car - likes 20" for looks but not overly so change to 19" for cost, better ride, better mileage, ect. is really not an issue. Appreciate pragmatic thoughts on this.
I wasn't sure what I would think about ADS on my 550, but after about six weeks I really like it. I like the sport mode and drive almost exclusively in this setting. It's firm, but not harsh even with 21s. However, I used the comfort setting tonight with my mother on board as it adds an almost a pillowy (but slightly vague) ride. The body roll with sport is really very limited. My past rides have all been more sporty, so I am sure that colors what feels right to me.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM

2015 GL350
My (wife's) truck was delivered to our driveway this past Wednesday - Awesome doesn't say enough. 1st Mercedes, first luxury vehicle and very much impressed with the quality of the features, fit and finish. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice on the build I laid out in the original post. Because of the great advice here I added the lighting package and ADS, had the car tinted and clear bra'd w/personal damage protection as well, before the car was delivered = no stone chips. Laser spotter installed in the garage for parking as well as a tire bump gives me spot on consistent parking with 2-3" clearance front and back. Cannot say enough for the great discussions and advice on this forum! You all rock!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Congrats! They are great rides.