GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2015 GL350 order advice for a rookie please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 GL350
2015 GL350 order advice for a rookie please

I have been lurking for a bit and really appreciate the info and advice on this forum - really awesome. I've just reached an agreement with the Internet/Fleet Mgr. locally for the options listed below. He quoted 5.5% below MSRP and I've received other quotes @ MSRP -3% and 6%. Edmunds, Cars.com, Carsdirect, etc list invoice at generally 7% below MSRP. Both the 5.5% and 6% say that's invoice. Do invoice prices vary? I reached a verbal deal today @ invoice + USAA (-2000) so net invoice -2000. Question is also will MBC waive less than a year (4/2015) membership for the $500 rebate. Thoughts appreciated on invoice, my deal and any advice on build. I'm told there is a production slot for January build. Firming all this up but did get a phone commitment/agreement today.
799 - Designo Diamond White Metalic
205-Almond Beige/Mocha Leather (not TEX)
322-Appearance Package
00A-Illuminated Star (wife's car )
581pkg -3-Zone Automatic Climate Control (in AZ)
731 - Burl Walnut Trim
P01pkg - Premium 1 Package
993pkg - Lane Tracking Package
996pkg - Parking Assist Package
289-Wood/leather Steering Wheel
399-Multi-contour driver/pass seat w/ massage
401-Htd/Ventilated Front Seats
550-Trailer Hitch (Class IV)
875-Heated Windshield Washer Reservoir
888-Rear lockable storage compartment
U09-MB-Tex lower wrapped dashboard, MB-Tex wrapped upper door panels, and contrast stitching
Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
Sound good to me, if you think to much the SUV will be gone when you decide to take it
Old 10-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Good deal - I'd get it in an email or writing though. They can also show you the invoice to validate when it gets here.

You didn't say what model you are building?

Not sure if you can combine those offers but there is a thread on that a while back.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Nice build!

My opinions only (obviously):

1) Not sure if you really need the heated reservoir in AZ, but if driving to cooler locations is a consideration I'd suggest the heated steering wheel vs. the wood steering wheel.

2) The optional open pore (i.e. matte finish) Brown Ash wood trim looks awesome with Beige/Mocha and especially with U09. I have not seen a photo yet that adequately reflects the elegant "look" as seen in person. If you go for U09, might as well go all the way.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Dalema
Good deal - I'd get it in an email or writing though. They can also show you the invoice to validate when it gets here.

Not sure if you can combine those offers but there is a thread on that a while back.
Roger on getting it in writing. Oops - GL350 is the build.
Dealer verbally said ok on the USAA discount on top of the invoice pricing. Seems right as everything that I've seen says the USAA discount is not from the dealer but MB Corporate. If anybody has the experience - would much appreciate the validation.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Nice build!

My opinions only (obviously):

1) Not sure if you really need the heated reservoir in AZ, but if driving to cooler locations is a consideration I'd suggest the heated steering wheel vs. the wood steering wheel.

2) The optional open pore (i.e. matte finish) Brown Ash wood trim looks awesome with Beige/Mocha and especially with U09. I have not seen a photo yet that adequately reflects the elegant "look" as seen in person. If you go for U09, might as well go all the way.
Only reasons I went with the heated reservoir were increased cleaning ability and small price. Wife's car opted for looks 1st on the steering wheel vs heated - yep an AZ thing though I do glove up some in the winter if the car's been sitting outside.

One showroom had the Brown Ash with the Beige/Mocha - looked very dark (I think it was a C series or E perhaps with not as much trim area as a GL so perhaps not a fair compare) That dealer pointed us to that vs the Burl - second time now with your opinion - I'll have to call around to see if anyone has it in or due in to see in person. Appreciated.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by wally AMG
Sound good to me, if you think to much the SUV will be gone when you decide to take it
Thanks Wally. Done thinking - waiting for the email confirmation that it's ordered and ready to fork over the down payment. Keeping my fingers crossed in anticipation of the dealer follow up with me today!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
How about lighting package? I also don't know about the heated reservoir in AZ. It will be hotter under the hood from the engine heat/ambient temp than the heater will make your fluid most of the time.

How about ADS? If you are already special ordering, ADS is what, only about $900 more? It really firms up the suspension in the curves.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by 43221B
How about lighting package? I also don't know about the heated reservoir in AZ. It will be hotter under the hood from the engine heat/ambient temp than the heater will make your fluid most of the time.

How about ADS? If you are already special ordering, ADS is what, only about $900 more? It really firms up the suspension in the curves.
Agree on the lighting - I am going with 319-Lighting Pkg forgot to list it here.
Appreciate to ADS input - Not getting Active Curve and not interested in a firm/sport ride or off road so didn't see any real value in ADS but am open to be convinced otherwise...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:20 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by andedave
Appreciate to ADS input - Not getting Active Curve and not interested in a firm/sport ride or off road so didn't see any real value in ADS but am open to be convinced otherwise...
As you might know, ADS has two modes, comfort and sport. Comfort is slightly softer, in my experience, than the standard suspension on non ADS equipped GLs. The sport setting is very firm and significantly reduces body roll. Most of the time I keep my GL in comfort but if I'm driving on curving roads, the sport setting mitigates body roll significantly. It gets you some of what you would get with Active Curve without the price tag. Also, in the sport setting, the GL lowers about half an inch even at lower speeds and while parked. Personally, I think the GL looks better parked when sitting lower but that is just a personal preference. ADS also adapts to road conditions but I rarely notice it.

The only downside to ADS is that you lose the standard suspension setting which is very nicely balanced.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
How about lighting package?
+1 on Lighting package. I wouldn't buy MB with regular lights ....
Old 11-02-2014, 12:06 AM

2015 GL350
As you might know, ADS has two modes, comfort and sport. Comfort is slightly softer, in my experience, than the standard suspension on non ADS equipped GLs. The sport setting is very firm and significantly reduces body roll. Most of the time I keep my GL in comfort but if I'm driving on curving roads, the sport setting mitigates body roll significantly. It gets you some of what you would get with Active Curve without the price tag. Also, in the sport setting, the GL lowers about half an inch even at lower speeds and while parked. Personally, I think the GL looks better parked when sitting lower but that is just a personal preference. ADS also adapts to road conditions but I rarely notice it.

The only downside to ADS is that you lose the standard suspension setting which is very nicely balanced.
Thanks for sharing your experience with ADS. "the sport setting mitigates body roll significantly" got my attention so will very likely add that to the order. Mucho Grasias.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:16 AM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Dalema

Got an email with confirmation on invoice pricing and making invoice available to me. He also confirmed the USAA discount (whatever that is at time of purchase) from invoice price. Sounds really good to me. I'm jazzed! Now I'm hoping that MBC will approve a $500 rebate even though not a fully year of membership (April 2014) and probable delivery EOM Jan '15. Icing on the cake I hope.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Got an email with confirmation on invoice pricing and making invoice available to me. He also confirmed the USAA discount (whatever that is at time of purchase) from invoice price. Sounds really good to me. I'm jazzed! Now I'm hoping that MBC will approve a $500 rebate even though not a fully year of membership (April 2014) and probable delivery EOM Jan '15. Icing on the cake I hope.
You can't combine fleet with MBC $500 rebate. That is the rule since about 2 years ago.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Nice deal! I thought GL350s were supposed to be in high demand and hard to secure - this would suggest otherwise??
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 PM

2015 GL350
I looked in and out of state. Most all dealers (especially CA, LA area) were at MSRP period. The ones that would talk were at MSRP - 3%, -4% and -6% - I insisted on talking invoice + or -. I think I hit this dealer at the right time and at the right point in gathering other offers so it came together with a bit of luck thrown in.

To follow up on the MBC rebate it's MBUSA that owns the discount and it's hard coded for 1 year of membership I'm told by MBC. Also confirmed an earlier post about not combining with fleet discounts such as USAA.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lexus LS430
Parking asst is a must...i love it......Driver asst package has saved my *** a couple times already......the pre safe is incredible.........i went with active curve because without it it leans alot in curves and its better for handling overall especially in emerg. situations.....i went with 19 inch tires because they ride better and the 20 inch tires are a weird size and tire rack (which is where you should be getting your next set) said that options for the new 20's are limited and you cant get the continentals which are rated the best......its doesnt sit as high but i'd rather have option for better tires. absolutely love my designo brown interior.....went with chrome package cause the door handle inserts should help with paint scratching....i'd have them throw in the cargo liner and tray and the roof racks in the price.....the tray is great for groceries.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I think you have gotten some good advice, lighting package is a must have, I like parktronic a bunch for parking in the garage. Go until the beep, beep, beep, goes to a steady beep, and put it in park. Perfect every time.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 PM

2015 GL350
Much thanks to all the advice. Truly appreciated. I've asked the dealer to add ADS which shouldn't be a problem since he said I have a factory production date of Jan 11th. I do have the lighting pkg and the parking assist/tronics pkg. A bit torn on the appearance package that I ordered that includes 20" wheels vs just the running boards and standard 19" wheels/tires. I've read about the better ride with 19", curious if anyone has experience with both. 42331b made a case for ADS comfort mode experienced as a bit better than standard so wondering if there is significant/noticeable difference with the combination 19" + ADS or 20" ADS or am I just over thinking all this awesome feedback I'm getting. Wife's car - likes 20" for looks but not overly so change to 19" for cost, better ride, better mileage, ect. is really not an issue. Appreciate pragmatic thoughts on this.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:48 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I think you have gotten some good advice, lighting package is a must have, I like parktronic a bunch for parking in the garage. Go until the beep, beep, beep, goes to a steady beep, and put it in park. Perfect every time.
Thanks Jim. How close do you get to the wall. I think I have about 2" to spare in the garage bay I want to park it. Could park it in another bay but would need to sacrifice some of my woodworking shop - ouch.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks Jim. How close do you get to the wall. I think I have about 2" to spare in the garage bay I want to park it. Could park it in another bay but would need to sacrifice some of my woodworking shop - ouch.
I do have some 'stuff' in front so it's not a solid wall, but I think it is pretty close. I think you could train yourself pretty well.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 AM

15 GL550
For tight fits like you are talking about in your garage, you need to get a laser pointer from Amazon or other retailer that attaches to your garage ceiling. I use one and I swear, I can park within a half inch of the same spot every time. I have mine set to point at the edge of the instrument panel glare shield. I can watch the laser move over the top of the glare shield and as soon as it gets to the edge I know to put the car in park.

http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-Innovations-37312-Garage-Lasers/dp/B000F6F99G/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1415367531&sr=1-1&keywords=garage+laser+parking+system http://www.amazon.com/MAXSA-Innovations-37312-Garage-Lasers/dp/B000F6F99G/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1415367531&sr=1-1&keywords=garage+laser+parking+system

As for the wheel issue, I've rented a GL with 19" wheels for a week and I own one with 20"s. I found that the 19" wheels feel almost identical to my 20" wheels. Now here's the catch, I use Continentals in the summer and Pirelli Ice and Snow now in the winter. This of course is an added expense but the ride on the Continentals is so dramatically different than the OE Pirelli all season tires that it is easily worth the added expense. Also, I haven't yet used the winter tires in the snow but from what I understand, the added traction you get from a dedicated snow tire is worth the expense. If you are planning to keep your GL for while, I would get a second set of wheels. The GL will go through tires every 30-40k miles so your only real expense will be the TPMS and extra set of wheels. If you live in a warm climate, I would switch to the Continental summer tires as soon as your Pirellis wear out if you go with 20" wheels.

Here is a Motortrend article about this exact issue on the GL and I have to say that I found their comments about the Pirelli tires to be spot on. They felt that the GL63 with 21" Continentals had a better ride than the GL350 with the 20" Pirellis. As soon as they switched the 350 to the Continentals, problem solved.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...etec_update_5/

I forgot that you mentioned you live in AZ andedave, I would check to see what they are putting on the 20" wheels for GL's that are shipped to AZ. The Continentals are listed on Tirerack's website as an OE tire.

Last edited by 43221B; 11-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Nice build.
Does anyone know if ALL 2013+ GLs have airmatics - my 2013 GL450 doesn't have a sport/comfort button even though it shows in manual...I have that button on my R500 and E63.
Thx.
PL
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Nice build.
Does anyone know if ALL 2013+ GLs have airmatics - my 2013 GL450 doesn't have a sport/comfort button even though it shows in manual...I have that button on my R500 and E63.
Thx.
PL
Yes, all have Airmatic but, the Adaptive Damping System is standard only on the 550 and it must be special ordered (was $800 for 14 MY) on the 450 and 350. ADS gets you the Sport/Comfort button. If you get the Active Curve system, you must add ADS on the 350/450. Active Curve is slightly cheaper on the 550 because you are already paying for ADS to come standard.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Yes, all have Airmatic but, the Adaptive Damping System is standard only on the 550 and it must be special ordered (was $800 for 14 MY) on the 450 and 350. ADS gets you the Sport/Comfort button. If you get the Active Curve system, you must add ADS on the 350/450. Active Curve is slightly cheaper on the 550 because you are already paying for ADS to come standard.
Thx for quick response.
Just so I'm understanding correctly, so my GL has the airmatics but does it adjust on its own for comfort and sport - and i just lose the manual selection - or is it always fixed in one of the two settings? If no adjustments, not sure how that's a benefit vs. having trad'l shocks/struts?
PL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 GL350 order advice for a rookie please