GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL550 vs. S550 as a Mommy Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover
GL550 vs. S550 as a Mommy Car

Hi Forum!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here

I am a first-time mommy/chauffeur to a 1 1/2 year old sweetheart. I have always driven full-size SUVs, and currently have a Range Rover which we will be dumping soon because of its unreliability. My husband has had a long and happy history with Mercedes, and suggested I try that next. Initially, I went straight to look at the GL550, because that is their full-size SUV option and seemed like the sensible, practical choice. I found underwhelmed with it (particularly the interior), to be quite frank, and then the hubby suggested the S550. I have mixed feelings on both, and was hoping you experts could weigh in on which will be the right choice for me. Here are my thoughts on each...

GL550: Pros: It's a full-sized SUV, which is what I have always driven. The large body feels very safe, which is very important when driving baby around. It seats 7 (my husband calls it a bus ), so Grandma, Grandpa, the nanny, etc. can all come along. Obviously, ample trunk space is another pro for all of that baby equipment. Cons: The interior looks and feels very dated to me. The dash looks overly basic and very reminiscent of Mercedes I remember seeing about 10-15 years ago! For a $100k+ price tag, I would expect something to feel a bit more modern and stylish. Also, the GL is overly common with mommies in my neighborhood, and that also makes it feel more mundane. I feel zero excitement when I think about getting this car (particularly in that price category). I know that the "facelifted" version will be released sometime next year (which may address some of my concerns), but I can't wait that long for it.

S550: Pros: It's simply STUNNING. Every part of it (aesthetically, technology-wise, etc) feels ultra modern and cutting edge. I also know that S-class uses amazing safety technology, but do wonder how much technology can compensate vs. the sheer size of the GL. Cons: I have never driven a sedan, ever. I worry about feeling awkward and in less command when I'm driving down lower to the road. It is only a 5-seater, and obviously much less trunk space (although I hear that in the near future, toddlers will have much less equipment to lug around...parents, is that true!?). ...But did I mention, it's stunning?

All opinions here are welcome and much appreciated, as I need to choose one rather quickly and really feel stumped here. I posted this on the S-Class forum as well, just to hear opinions from fans of both and keep it unbiased

Thanks,
Confused Mommy!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
My previous car was the current E class sedan and I recently traded it for a GL450. I am a stay at home parent, so I've done most of the kid driving.

Getting the kid in and out of the sedan was no big deal. Not as easy as the SUV but if it's something you can tolerate then it's not bad. This is stuff you've likely considered.

I felt safer in the sedan. I'm sure it's part perception, but the are ways a sedan can be safer (I'm not saying safer overall or anything controversial). Being lower to the ground made me feel more in control of the car. The SUV rolls around a lot more, and the suspension and the truck sometimes disagree which way we are going, especially on rough road. It's just the nature of the beast. The sedan can do it too, but because it is lower you feel it less.

SUVs are much easier to trip when in an accident and can roll more easily.

Being up higher makes you feel like you are going slower than you are. When I first got the GL, I was either speeding or feeling like I was crawling when in fact I would do my usual speeds. Speed is a safety consideration.

The sedan will likely have lower profile tires. This will be an issue if you live where roads are bad. I now cruise over bumps and holes that would jar the sedan. This is a big deal to me - I now don't have to memorize and avoid so many holes. I bubbled a few tires on the sedan, and the wheels looked horrible.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Oh yeah, you won't be able to see around all thise GLs the other mommies drive!
Old 11-24-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Can't go wrong either way. Here are my thoughts.

SL550 is an awesome sedan-luxurious, comfortable, roomy, full of technology, safe, attractive, excellent performance, etc... one of the top of the line sedans out there. However, it's a sedan which means that you have to bend over to strap/unstrap your child into/out of the car/booster seat. I always found that a pain.
If you don't need a 7 seat/big SUV, I wouldn't buy a GL. Don't get me wrong, we love our GL450 but it's no sports car. In a straight line, the GL63 or a GL550 will satisfy your "speed demon needs" but it's just too big of a SUV to maneuver if you want to drive it really aggressively, though a properly equipped GL will do better than the stock GL. But then, most of us don't buy big SUVs for that sort of driving. If we didn't need a 7 seat SUV, we would have opted for a Porch Cayenne Turbo! Having 3 kids put a kabosh to that idea. As far as luxury 7 seat SUVs go, the GL is about as good as it gets, IMHO.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM

'14 GL550, '14 BMW 650iX GC MSE
I've always been a fan of going with what evokes with most excitement/emotion, so long as the basic needs are also met. Reading your comments above, it seems you are more excited for the S550. My personal opinion is the GL is better for the practical needs you intend to satisfy, but if the S can still meet the practicality and give you a vehicle you're more excited about it seems the better choice for you. If you do go with a GL, I highly recommend you consider one with the Active Curve System to address the body roll mentioned in one of the responses above. I have it on mine and it makes a huge difference.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same thoughts when buying the GL 550.

the S 550 looked phenomenal and really wanted to get that instead it was basically similar prices.

Wife said, too low, too small to the S class and the conversation was pretty much done even after the ride around the block.

My personal problem was that it was 1st year redesign car and normally avoid those. I am not really digging the dual big screen. I mean it looks cool but it really isn't THAT great function wise.

the GL is pretty high so if you aren't very tall, you might need to climb in to carry a child out from the 2nd row.

But the S class will never be able to have configuration combinations of the GL and the versatility of the GL.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
I agree with others about the Active Curve option. I ordered it on my GL450 and have been impressed with how level it handles turns and curves.

The GL interior is nice, but not spectacular like the S-Class. Going with the Designo colors would make a difference, since the upgraded leather is amazing. I chose the almond/black regular leather, which I think looks richer than the regular almond. Adding the MB-Tex wrapped lower dash helps too.

There is probably no vehicle that equal the S-Class interior, but I think you will ultimately be happier with the GL. If you have always driven SUVs, a wonderful sedan might seem enticing at first, but you will miss the ride height and versatility of an SUV.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
This too shall pass, Mommymobile.

I may be oversimplifying this, but as a mother of 1 (not 2 or 3 or 4) I'd get out of your Range Rover and get into another Range Rover. (2013-2015).

If you need a third row seat for occasional 7 seating, get the Sport. If not, get the big body. Especially if you like the SUV perch and vantage point. There is no match for the seating position and vantage point of the big body Range. It's a no brainer, to me. Great off road, great on road, beautiful but rugged and purposeful interior. Impeccable build quality. Not to mention, if you go for the sport the breadth of its abilities are unmatched. No other vehicle is as legit on the road and off it.

Also, keep in mind they make far fewer Range Rovers than they do the S Class and GL. The S Class will be ubiquitous soon, if not already. The GL is everywhere, as well. Not a bad thing. But many are built. Will the GL550 be enough for you or will you want the GL63 after 6 months? Not the case with the big body Range. Slightly the case with the sport.

I've put many miles on Range Rovers over the years and have yet to have one reliability issue of any kind. Same goes for other owners I've known over the last 10-15 years. I personally feel like the reliability issue is far overstated. Particularly for the last two generations. Mine have been bulletproof (knock on wood).

That being said, if you've had enough with Land Rover, the GL and S are two different things. The GL can accommodate 5 adults plus lots of stuff, and when called upon, can carry 7 adults with a small amount of stuff. The S, on the other hand, can carry 5 adults and a marginal amount of stuff (the trunk is smaller than you'd think, particularly with the upgraded stereo, if I recall).

Have you thought about baby seats if you have a second child? If so, the S becomes a 4 seater (two baby seats in the back, two adults up front). Which will not leave room for a second nanny.

The GL, on the other hand can easily accommodate 2 car seats and 5 adults. 3 car seats and 3-4 adults. Or 4 car seats and three adults if one of those adults is a beanpole. But that vehicle is unneccesary if you are doing 99% of your driving with only your child and up to three other adults.

Last edited by bonboon; 11-26-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Okay, good points on both sides. I think you should get both. I have an S63 for those luxurious nights on the town and the long commutes, the GL550 for hauling around the family and farm animals, and the SL for pure driving pleasure. I love them all to pieces.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
Pure driving pleasure is a Carrera GTS :-)
Old 11-28-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
Pure driving pleasure SLS AMG ;- )
Old 11-28-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Pure driving pleasure SLR :-D
Old 11-28-2014, 06:06 AM

SL
Tolerate the range rover another year and get face lifted GL... It would be a GLS... The s class in the SUV category... That's what I am doing
Old 11-28-2014, 06:08 AM

SL
Originally Posted by jbattan
Okay, good points on both sides. I think you should get both. I have an S63 for those luxurious nights on the town and the long commutes, the GL550 for hauling around the family and farm animals, and the SL for pure driving pleasure. I love them all to pieces.

For pure driving pressure, definitely dump the SL... Get the Amg gt..
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by phonetics
tolerate the Range Rover another year and get face lifted GL... It would be a GLS...
If the past is any indication of the future (which sometimes it isn't), you are only going to see minor tweaks to the front and rear lower bumpers and perhaps a S added to the end of the GL on the liftgate. Only current GL owners will know the difference. I'm not sure I would hold out for that. The pictures of the updated ML interior are pretty much the same other than an awkwardly placed Ipad sticking on the dash. Plus, unless you only keep your cars for two or three years, you most likely will only have a current style GL for three years as the completely redesigned 2019 GL will probably appear in August-September of 2018.

Plus, if you are getting the 450, everyone will know for sure by the changes in the lower bumpers that you have a V6, which is kind of embarrassing in my opinion......just kidding.

Last edited by 43221B; 11-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Not sure how old your kids are, but mine are now 9 and 11, and we went from rotating among our R500, Odyssey (awesome sliding doors) to now GL450.
Ironically, my wife's favorite car/daily driver is now the E63 sedan as it's easier to drive and more nimble. I mainly drive CLK55 cab and Porsche, but will take the GL when needed(most of the time, NOT needed).

Therefore, I think you need to think about the "phase" of your(kids) life.
The newer S550 is beautiful w/ Designo, but the thought of putting 11 year old girls in back seat w/ dirty soccer cleats etc...and I think the best car to drive them around may have been my old 2002 E320 4matics wagon for $10k - reliable, specious, and I don't worry about anything getting scratched or dirty - quite liberating.
Good luck.
PL
Old 11-28-2014, 06:04 PM

SL
Originally Posted by 43221B
If the past is any indication of the future (which sometimes it isn't), you are only going to see minor tweaks to the front and rear lower bumpers and perhaps a S added to the end of the GL on the liftgate. Only current GL owners will know the difference. I'm not sure I would hold out for that. The pictures of the updated ML interior are pretty much the same other than an awkwardly placed Ipad sticking on the dash. Plus, unless you only keep your cars for two or three years, you most likely will only have a current style GL for three years as the completely redesigned 2019 GL will probably appear in August-September of 2018.

Plus, if you are getting the 450, everyone will know for sure by the changes in the lower bumpers that you have a V6, which is kind of embarrassing in my opinion......just kidding.
the new ML interior does look more modern than current GL..

anyhow, i would at least wait for facelift GL debut and decide...
Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 PM

2015 GL450 Porcelain
Originally Posted by 43221B

I have a V6 GL450 and I don't feel embarrassed at all. I will be glad to put V6 sign on the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Good point Buzz: The interior of my GL550 is a total mess most of the time, with all the muddy boots, dog hair, pig-snout smeared windows, donut crumbs, wrappers, and general kid detritus. It's the "utility" vehicle, and looks the part. I would never let the dogs or muddy boots in my SL or S.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Originally Posted by francotse
I have a V6 GL450 and I don't feel embarrassed at all. I will be glad to put V6 sign on the car.

I bet you it's coming. I live in the "badge" capital of the universe and the "I'm better than you crowd" will want you to know that theirs is a V8 and that yours and mine are only a V6. Fortunately, I don't play the "Keeping up with the Joneses game".
Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 PM

2002 E320 Wagon Black/Tan
GL550 vs S500

GL vs S

We've had our used (Dealer CPO) 2011 GL450 for 6 months/8,000 miles and happy with it so far. Purchased piece of mind with an XLT that's 7 Years/85k miles.

We needed the 3rd row seats.

I regret not taking a closer look at the GL 350 BlueTec.

The GL 450 has plenty of power with over 300 HP.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:26 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
Originally Posted by MommyMobile
Hi Forum!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here

I am a first-time mommy/chauffeur to a 1 1/2 year old sweetheart. I have always driven full-size SUVs, and currently have a Range Rover which we will be dumping soon because of its unreliability. My husband has had a long and happy history with Mercedes, and suggested I try that next. Initially, I went straight to look at the GL550, because that is their full-size SUV option and seemed like the sensible, practical choice. I found underwhelmed with it (particularly the interior), to be quite frank, and then the hubby suggested the S550. I have mixed feelings on both, and was hoping you experts could weigh in on which will be the right choice for me. Here are my thoughts on each...

GL550: Pros: It's a full-sized SUV, which is what I have always driven. The large body feels very safe, which is very important when driving baby around. It seats 7 (my husband calls it a bus ), so Grandma, Grandpa, the nanny, etc. can all come along. Obviously, ample trunk space is another pro for all of that baby equipment. Cons: The interior looks and feels very dated to me. The dash looks overly basic and very reminiscent of Mercedes I remember seeing about 10-15 years ago! For a $100k+ price tag, I would expect something to feel a bit more modern and stylish. Also, the GL is overly common with mommies in my neighborhood, and that also makes it feel more mundane. I feel zero excitement when I think about getting this car (particularly in that price category). I know that the "facelifted" version will be released sometime next year (which may address some of my concerns), but I can't wait that long for it.

S550: Pros: It's simply STUNNING. Every part of it (aesthetically, technology-wise, etc) feels ultra modern and cutting edge. I also know that S-class uses amazing safety technology, but do wonder how much technology can compensate vs. the sheer size of the GL. Cons: I have never driven a sedan, ever. I worry about feeling awkward and in less command when I'm driving down lower to the road. It is only a 5-seater, and obviously much less trunk space (although I hear that in the near future, toddlers will have much less equipment to lug around...parents, is that true!?). ...But did I mention, it's stunning?

All opinions here are welcome and much appreciated, as I need to choose one rather quickly and really feel stumped here. I posted this on the S-Class forum as well, just to hear opinions from fans of both and keep it unbiased

Thanks,
Confused Mommy!

I wrote you off after reading that sentence. Because sensible and practical are always top of mind when shopping for $120K suv's.

Since you only have 1 kid to drive around, you're clearly just after a status symbol. Which is fine.

Maybe try a Bentley? That would fit you, your kid, the nanny and butler just perfect.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM

2015 GL450 Porcelain
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I bet you it's coming. I live in the "badge" capital of the universe and the "I'm better than you crowd" will want you to know that theirs is a V8 and that yours and mine are only a V6. Fortunately, I don't play the "Keeping up with the Joneses game".
Well, one day they will just have to buy a GLS450 with V6 or they can jump to the 550 or 63.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
I wrote you off after reading that sentence. Because sensible and practical are always top of mind when shopping for $120K suv's.

Since you only have 1 kid to drive around, you're clearly just after a status symbol. Which is fine.

Maybe try a Bentley? That would fit you, your kid, the nanny and butler just perfect.
Finally! Why did it take so long for this to be said?

Having said that, this thread speaks to how awesome, patient and helpful this forum's members are.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Originally Posted by eliontakis
Finally! Why did it take so long for this to be said?

Having said that, this thread speaks to how awesome, patient and helpful this forum's members are.
+1