GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Upgrade to GL from ML Bluetec?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML 350 Bluetec
Upgrade to GL from ML Bluetec?

I recently bought a 2015 ML 350 BT upgrading from a 2007 ML320 CDI. It is very nice except for a few issues:
- 2nd row legroom
- cameras are useless after dusk
- cannot manually turn on high beams with the auto light feature on.
- I lost about 2mpg in fuel efficiency with the upgrade from CDI to BT and may have lost some towing capacity as well.

Generally though the car is a real joy to drive. However, I need more space as we have 3 kids and 2 dogs and I am realizing that the ML just does not cut it. My wife has 2015 Honda Odyssey which is awesome and I am trying to find an equivalently sized vehicle, but rather a luxury Cross Over, such as a GL.

Can anyone share with me their experience upgrading from the ML to the GL? Is there more legroom in the 2nd row of GL than in the ML? is there a captains chair arrangement int he 2nd row so kids can walk to the back row? Is the space increase worth it or is it better to go for a lot more space in a full size SUV?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
I also own a GL450 and a 2014 odyssey. There is ample leg room in the GL but there is no capt chair arrangement. we have three kids two in car seats and they all fit comfortably in the second row. The surround cameras are useless at night. I am having the camera software upgrade on Tuesday.Hopefully that will improve the visibility at night. I hate the auto light feature on the GL for the same reason you mentioned above.
with three kids and two dogs, a GL sounds like its a better fit for your family, but you will take a hit on the ML. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carrera S;
With Adaptier headlights, high beams can be manually deployed by simply pulling the Washer stalk towards you.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM

2013 GL550
I am somewhat sure you can have the high beams on demand if you move your main headlight switch from AUTO to ON. Also, aren't the ML and GL cabins mostly the same as far as 1st and second rows go? I'm too lazy to google the specs.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by BMcD-E500
I am somewhat sure you can have the high beams on demand if you move your main headlight switch from AUTO to ON. Also, aren't the ML and GL cabins mostly the same as far as 1st and second rows go? I'm too lazy to google the specs.
Yes, putting the lights to "on" put the high beams on manual. The lights won't stay on when you stop to drain your battery, but of course lights will be on when running in the daytime.

I too think the ML/GL are the same cabin in row 1 and 2 from a leg/headroom perspective, but never checked the specs. Should be easy enough to look up.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:48 AM

2015 ML 350 Bluetec
Every car maker over the last decade has trained us to use the auto headlight feature in their car and I would say it has been a resounding success in the marketplace. But even with auto headlights we as drivers have always been able to manually turn on our high beams - a function which is as important as shifting gears or turning the volume up or down on a radio. I should not have to turn off a great feature (auto headlights) to have access to a standard feature I have used my entire driving life (manual high beams). The turn signal stick should allow me to turn on the high beams and leave them on regardless of whether the auto headlights are on or off. This is simple human interface engineering and Mercedes has a big FAIL hear.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by futureman
Every car maker over the last decade has trained us to use the auto headlight feature in their car and I would say it has been a resounding success in the marketplace. But even with auto headlights we as drivers have always been able to manually turn on our high beams - a function which is as important as shifting gears or turning the volume up or down on a radio. I should not have to turn off a great feature (auto headlights) to have access to a standard feature I have used my entire driving life (manual high beams). The turn signal stick should allow me to turn on the high beams and leave them on regardless of whether the auto headlights are on or off. This is simple human interface engineering and Mercedes has a big FAIL hear.
I don't think you'll get any arguments here, let me push the stick forward for auto, middle for low and back for high.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:17 AM

well said!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 AM

'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
Originally Posted by baobay
I also own a GL450 and a 2014 odyssey. There is ample leg room in the GL but there is no capt chair arrangement. we have three kids two in car seats and they all fit comfortably in the second row. The surround cameras are useless at night. I am having the camera software upgrade on Tuesday.Hopefully that will improve the visibility at night. I hate the auto light feature on the GL for the same reason you mentioned above.
with three kids and two dogs, a GL sounds like its a better fit for your family, but you will take a hit on the ML. Good luck.
Not trying to hijack a thread, but Baobay - hope you will post your results of the camera software upgrade in the "back up light" thread, and how long it took for the dealer to perform it - thanks!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM

GL550
In auto, on the left stalk I can push to manually have high beams on permanently and pull to flash.

Do you guys have an option on the headlights that I don't on the standard headlights?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLS450, Previously 2017 GLS450, 2014 GL450, 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Dalema
In auto, on the left stalk I can push to manually have high beams on permanently and pull to flash.

Do you guys have an option on the headlights that I don't on the standard headlights?
Lighting package.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by LIRS6
Not trying to hijack a thread, but Baobay - hope you will post your results of the camera software upgrade in the "back up light" thread, and how long it took for the dealer to perform it - thanks!
yes I will! getting it done tomorrow. I asked for a loaner, but they said it only takes 45 minutes, so I decided to wait for it. I sure hope it helps. I will post the results as soon as I test it which will be tomorrow night.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ah_gl450
Lighting package.
What we are talking about here is one of the features of the lighting package. When lights are 'auto' we put the stalk forward high beams are automated based upon speed and sensing other traffic. When lights are 'on' it works just like yours.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
I am very unhappy with my Auto lights feature as well. I don't like that the high beams are speed sensitive, they only come on at speeds over 39 mph. When I drive at lower speeds in my neighborhood I would like high beams to see pedestrians and deer. I usually just turn my lights on to manual but then as I am used to the auto light feature on all my other vehicles, I find myself driving around the next day in the daytime with my headlights on! Also when the headlight switch is in manual mode rather than auto, the lower LED DRLs go off, even when the headlights are in the low beam position. I wonder my the MB engineers did this. I like the look of those lower LEDs. I also find that when in the auto position out in the countryside, the high beams turn off frequently at streetlights and road signs with no opposing or following traffic. In my opinion they didn't do a very good job engineering this feature. This might be the ONLY thing I am disappointed with on our GL, otherwise we absolutely love it. A related problem to the GL was that last year, after taking delivery in May, I had only driven the 911 2600 miles this summer rather than 6-7K! Damn the GL is comfortable!!!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Todd in PA
I am very unhappy with my Auto lights feature as well. I don't like that the high beams are speed sensitive, they only come on at speeds over 39 mph. When I drive at lower speeds in my neighborhood I would like high beams to see pedestrians and deer. I usually just turn my lights on to manual but then as I am used to the auto light feature on all my other vehicles, I find myself driving around the next day in the daytime with my headlights on! Also when the headlight switch is in manual mode rather than auto, the lower LED DRLs go off, even when the headlights are in the low beam position. I wonder my the MB engineers did this. I like the look of those lower LEDs. I also find that when in the auto position out in the countryside, the high beams turn off frequently at streetlights and road signs with no opposing or following traffic. In my opinion they didn't do a very good job engineering this feature. This might be the ONLY thing I am disappointed with on our GL, otherwise we absolutely love it. A related problem to the GL was that last year, after taking delivery in May, I had only driven the 911 2600 miles this summer rather than 6-7K! Damn the GL is comfortable!!!
+1 on the auto high beams...LOL on the 911.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:33 AM

2013 GL450
"Disable" the "Adaptive High Beam" setting on your instrument cluster. Problem solved!!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 AM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
Originally Posted by rolltide1
"Disable" the "Adaptive High Beam" setting on your instrument cluster. Problem solved!!
What a wonderful suggestion, you could please tell me how. I can't find the "Adaptive High Beam" setting you are referring to in my 2104 GL with the lighting package.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM

2013 GL450
High Beam Problem

Go into "settings" on the display where the mileage, speed, etc... is located. Under "settings" you will see "lighting" and just below that you will "adaptive high beam setting" and the ability to enable it or disable it. Disable it, and the high beams work like you want them to in the "auto" mode. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:20 PM

2020 S 560 4 Matic
Unfortunately, under settings,light, there is no disable or enable adaptive headlights. I only have daytime running lights, ambient light color and intensity, surround delay, and interior delay. What vehicle do you have? Thanks for trying though.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 PM

2013 GL450
Todd, under the lights settings my second option down is Adaptive Highbeam. The first choice is daytime running lights, then adaptive, ambiant intensity, ambient color, surround, interior delay.
I have a 2013 GL450 with lighting package.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
You will be more unhappier with the fuel mileage on the GL, as a matter of fact, I owned one and traded in for for the ML.

Last edited by theine; 01-17-2015 at 10:26 PM.