GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Why you bought the GL450/550, versus the Inf QX80?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi, Infiniti
Why you bought the GL450/550, versus the Inf QX80?

Hullo folks

I am in the market for a new SUV and have basically shortlisted the QX80 and the Mercedes GL (not sure yet whether 550, 450 or Diesel).

Would love the perspectives of those that must have gone through a similar decision cycle recently. I get that the QX is Fugly (it is; doesnt bother me) and the GL has more brand class and history (it does; again doesn't bother me). The QX is cheaper but when you are talking ~$100k, whats ~$15k between friends

My summary is:
Buy a QX because ....
...Interiors, interiors interiors. Especially with the Limited option, feel more luxurious and classy. Cant believe Im saying anything is more classy than a top-end Merc but the Inf did feel that way
...Touch screen
...Captain's chair are phenomenal
...3rd row is a 3-seater so you get a true 7-seater even with Captain's chairs
....it gives more "elbow room"; is just more roomy inside especially width-wise and height-wise

On the other hand, buy a GL because...
...body-on-frame design drives better
...it has a moon roof; thats very cool
...Claims to have ~5" more leg room in 3rd row but lower height than Inf. both felt the same frankly
...Integrates better with an iphone (although some forums hate the Merc iphone app)

did any of you go through a similar dilemna? help me out!

thanks
danny
Old 01-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
I've owned a '11 QX56 (older brother of the QX80). We are on our 3rd GL now('09 450 & '11 350 before). We got tired of the GL's reliability and its antiquated technology/interior (X164), so we made the switch to the QX56. I've owned a G35 so I was somewhat a fan of Infiniti/Nissan.

I personally like the way the Infiniti looks. I don't think it's fugly at all; it looks very aggressive IMHO. The interior is nice-supple and very roomy. The technology is unbeatable and the 360 camera actually works in all weather conditions, including night time. Imagine that, it's only 2015! We ended up selling it and buying the JX35 because my wife thought that it drove "too big". btw, the JX35 (QX60) is very under powered. It has a nice roomy interior with all of the bells and whistles but the CVT mated with the V6 is horrible IMHO.

There were a couple of things that I did not like about the QX. Though the engine is powerful on paper, I didn't think that it performed on par in comparison to it's performance data. I've never been a fan of normally aspirated engines since they tend to run out the "oomph", especially at higher elevations for obvious reasons. I also found the engine and the gear box is not as refined as the MB/German vehicles. At higher RPMs, the engine runs out of breath and you can feel it work harder than normal, if that makes any sense. German cars, in general, have a better linear performance due to superior gear boxes and higher torque range. That's JMHO. If I recall, the QX80 still has the same engine and gear box as the QX56 though not sure.
The QX also had way more body roll. It drove like a truck around corners and didn't feel as sure footed as the GL. I'm not sure if the QX is offered with something similar to ADS. Apples to apples, a stock GL performed better than a stock QX when it came to cornering and body roll. Remember, this was 4 years ago so the new QX probably has some improvements.

I personally think the new GL looks and feels more refined than the QX. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's really a personal preference at this point. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 01-26-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I havent driven a QX80/QX56 but I suspect that the interior is more comfy than the GL. The seats looks like something you would expect out of a lazy boy couch. The reason I did not go with it was mainly due to dollar for value. The V8 compared to the GL550 is ancient and underpowered for such a heavy car. Fuel economy is also next to terrible. Hopefully all these issues will be fixed if they come out with a new gen ( there was talk about cancelling production)
Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM

'14 GL550, '14 BMW 650iX GC MSE
I too had an '11 QX56. Agree with what others have already said, so wont duplicate feedback. Most important to me was QX56 drive quality and "drives like a truck" feel compared to GL. It had a terrible steering response and turning radius. Also, the QX never came close to its published gas mileage. I think it's still the identical engine and specs in the QX80. Absolutely no regrets moving to the GL550.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
These were my two main options, the GL being about $15k more.

I've owned Infiniti's my whole life and a moderator for an Infiniti forum.

Reasons for the GL:
1) drives smaller - sealed the deal for my wife.
2) lower and easier to get the kids in and out.
3) personally our family thought it looked better (GL).
4) very safe - car is solid.

Reasons I really wanted the QX:
1) Technology is more user friendly. I'm finally used to the mercedes but even the addition of a tough screen would make things so much easier.
2) Easier to work on and fix yourself. The MB, I take everything to the dealership (my choice).
3) Cheaper!
4) More useable space with captain chairs. Two car seats in the middle, you have to climb in the truck to access the 3rd row for the GL.

Why the GL550?
1) has Amg body kit without the gl63 price. I have no need for all the power and would have bought the 450.
2) I was focused on the gl350 at first for diesel, then gas prices dropped and it became less a priority along with extra services.

GL also has character that the QX can't replace.

I might buy the QX though still. So maybe having both is the best?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 AM

'15 GL450
MBs are easy to work on (routine maintenance like oil changes, brake jobs, etc) if you are a DIYer. Don't let the stealership intimidate you. Just keep good records and keep all of your receipts.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 AM

Ford Lightning, GL350 and a couple of outbacks
they are two different categories in terms of size. The QX is a full sized SUV with dimensions similar to an Armada, Sequoia, Tahoe, etc. The GL is slightly bigger than most mid-sized and smaller than the full sized. That puts it in a nice sweet spot for driving and interior room. I also think it's really ugly, if we were going full sized I would get the sequoia or even a land cruiser.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 AM

2013 GL450
I remember that when the third and second rows were down in the QX, they did not seem to be flat or as capable for carrying lots of stuff. I ended up with the GL because of that and the fact that the QX seemed too big, too high, etc.

I was also annoyed that I had to get rear screens to get the stuff I really wanted.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350. BMW 335. 2014R1200RTW
Had a 2012 QX56 for 6 months before ordering my X166. Got the Bluetec for towing purposes because the Infinity motor/trans was dismal for towing our airstream. Motor had far less torque so the trans would do far more downshifting, even for just going over a overpass. Economy and range is roughly double so I'll happily live with the diesel fuel prices. The GL rides and drives much better and I'm extremely happy about making the change.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM

Reasons:
1. V8 Biturbo engine, over 500hp with tune.
2. Active curve suspension, drives like a car in Sport Mode.
3. It's a MB. Still have our 99 ML320. 180,000 miles and still going strong.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Audi, Infiniti
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I've owned a '11 QX56 (older brother of the QX80).
The QX also had way more body roll. It drove like a truck around corners and didn't feel as sure footed as the GL. I'm not sure if the QX is offered with something similar to ADS. Apples to apples, a stock GL performed better than a stock QX when it came to cornering and body roll. Remember, this was 4 years ago so the new QX probably has some improvements.

I personally think the new GL looks and feels more refined than the QX. Either way, you can't go wrong. It's really a personal preference at this point. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks l2s.

very helpful. Your point about body roll is what I need to double click on.

On the interior - agree its a matter of preference. I was underwhelmed by the GL interiors (a little less space; squeezed 3rd row and therefore only a 2-seater and therefore they couldnt offer captains; and interface is more E-class than the S). The INF on the other hand, to me, appeared to have pulled all stops in the QX interior

overall - 2 great vehicles with slightlyu different design philosophies
Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 PM

Audi, Infiniti
Originally Posted by cookstar
I havent driven a QX80/QX56 but I suspect that the interior is more comfy than the GL. The seats looks like something you would expect out of a lazy boy couch. The reason I did not go with it was mainly due to dollar for value. The V8 compared to the GL550 is ancient and underpowered for such a heavy car. Fuel economy is also next to terrible. Hopefully all these issues will be fixed if they come out with a new gen ( there was talk about cancelling production)
agree on the seats.

On the engine, at least the specs are comparable (400 HP for QX for a slightly heavier car; 360/430 HP for a 450/550 for a car that is ~5-10% lighter than the QX)...leading to an expected 5-10% worse acceleration performance for the QX against the 550 and similar performance numbers against the 450
Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM

'14 GL550, '14 BMW 650iX GC MSE
Originally Posted by adanny
agree on the seats.

On the engine, at least the specs are comparable (400 HP for QX for a slightly heavier car; 360/430 HP for a 450/550 for a car that is ~5-10% lighter than the QX)...leading to an expected 5-10% worse acceleration performance for the QX against the 550 and similar performance numbers against the 450

Cant speak to comparison with 450, but can tell you from direct experience the 550 is far more responsive and hands down better performance than the QX. Also, can attest to significant difference in body roll improvement (with Active Curve option) with GL. Repeat of my statement above, but be wary of the MPG on the QX. Regardless of their stated specs, mine never achieved better than 12 to 13 MPG. Completely agree on the 2nd row captains chairs, I miss them, and was fond of the QX interior. Haven't really noticed any loss of overall interior space/cargo room, but I rarely use the 3rd row for passengers. Don't mean to put down Infiniti (I've happily owned several over the years), but IMHO if you're going to shell out the money the GL is the better ride.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
agree on the seats.

The specs on the Mercedes V8 biturbo don't do it justice or tell the whole story. It starts pulling hard at 1400 rpm and never stops pulling until it is at redline. The engine can be at about any speed and the car will take off without having to shift down. The Germans are in a league of their own when it comes to V8 engine technology. You may not care though about the engine or handling and in that case, I would go with the QX if I were you. You should also make sure you have looked at a GL with leather multicontour seats and the wrapped lower dash and door panels which might be hard to find on a dealer lot. You might not like it as much as the QX interior but it is still very very nice.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 PM

'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
My summary is:
Buy a QX because ....
...Interiors, interiors interiors. Especially with the Limited option, feel more luxurious and classy. Cant believe Im saying anything is more classy than a top-end Merc but the Inf did feel that way
I was intrigued to read that comment - I have a '14 GL550 with Designo (terrible name) interior, and I can't imagine a more beautiful, more comfortable, more refined setting. The leather dash, the perforated diamond-stitch supple leather seating .. I drool each time I enter it. I just looked at the Infinity QX80 website - the interior looked very plain to me.

Fwiw, I went from an Audi RS6 to this car ...err, truck .. great engine, surprisingly good handling.

regardless, good luck with your decision.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Not to be flippant, but the QX was simply never a consideration.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Not to be flippant, but the QX was simply never a consideration.
I think Car and Driver ranks it 9th out of 9 in the full size SUV market. You aren't alone.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:03 PM

GL 450
So I just recently shopped the 2015 GL450 vs. the QX80. The 450 drives and handles better, and believe it or not, considerably less money than a QX. As I said, the MB drives and handles far better, so I priced the QX with the improved handling option (cannot remember what they call it). To get that you need to add in a crap ton of other stuff and before you know it you have an 85-86k Infiniti on your hands. Additionally, the MB lease terms were way better (MB residual at 60 and Infiniti at 51) plus Infiniti always wants to steer you to that cocked up 39 month lease which just plays havoc with your lease cycle.

The Infiniti does have a more powerful engine than the 450 now, lots of room, but it still basically drives like a truck and costs way more.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
On the other hand, buy a GL because...
...body-on-frame design drives better
GL is unibody and not body on frame. Unibody drives much better than body on frame.