GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL 350 Towing questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 350
GL 350 Towing questions

Hi all,

I will be towing a camper next month. I have a few questions and appreciate feedback from GL towing experts here at this forum

1) Tire questions: What do you set the tire pressure to (both front and rear) when weight distribution is applied? Do you add nitrogen or just Air? (Does it even matter?) For first generation GL owners with no spare, do you carry a fix a flat?

2) Setting up the weight distribution: I need to measure the drop in the back of the GL, when the camper is hitched, so I can adjust the weight distribution. Would turning the car do the trick, turn of air suspension, and make the back of the car drop, so I can setup the weight distribution?

3) I plan to use a wireless rear view camera (and no towing mirrors), so I can see whats behind the camper all the time. Do you think this setup is OK? What brand of camera have you used? I need the camera to be clamp on as the camper is not mine (I cannot drill it to the back of the camper).

4) Is it possible to view engine oil/transmission temperature in information cluster? Or do I need specific tools/software?

5) The tires on our GL were recently replaced, and we also recently did the 30k service. I am guessing we are ready to tow. Am I missing something?

Thanks you very much for your help
Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350. BMW 335. 2014R1200RTW
Some questions before I weigh in...how much does the trailer weigh and what's the advertised tongue weight? What kind of weight distribution hitch do you have and what kind of brake controller ? Also what year is your GL? BTW you'll need to access CAT scales (many truck stops have them) to properly set up the hitch.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:44 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by JMCarter
Some questions before I weigh in...how much does the trailer weigh and what's the advertised tongue weight? What kind of weight distribution hitch do you have and what kind of brake controller ? Also what year is your GL? BTW you'll need to access CAT scales (many truck stops have them) to properly set up the hitch.
The dry weight is 4700#. Tongue weight is 600#. We will be travelling with empty water tanks. The camper is a rental, and the WDH will be setup by the rental company (I don't know the WDH brand name yet). Brake controller is P3.
GL is 2012. I will stop by CAT scales after we start our trip, but setting up the WDH would be by measuring the drop.

Thanks you for your help
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350. BMW 335. 2014R1200RTW
That tongue weight won't pose a problem, just make sure you measure both camper and GL hitch heights on level ground and the hitch can then be adjusted (moving hitch on the shank) and then put weight on the weight bars. How much weight is determined at the CAT scales, too much rear axle weight and you can overload your axle loading value (inside driver's door jam) and cause poor handling. Unlikely that you will overload the front axle but you should know what kind of margins you're dealing with a trip to the scales prior to picking up the trailer (completely fueled and loaded for the trip). Since you own a X164 I'd recommend you search on that sub-forum for brake controller, since a P3 will have to be hard wired into the GL's wiring. I use a Prodigy RF to avoid that but it's not that complex if your GL came equipped with a hitch. Inside the fuel door should be a placard regarding tire pressure at max loads, usually ~6 to 8 pounds higher on the rears and 4 to 6 psi up on the fronts.

Personally, I'd forego the camera since that's not going to be of assistance for seeing down the sides of the trailer which is usually required by law. There are several kinds of tow mirrors that will clamp onto your existing mirrors without marring the paint. Milencos work for me...Amazon has them. Hope this helps..

Last edited by JMCarter; 07-29-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM

GL 350
Originally Posted by JMCarter
That tongue weight won't pose a problem, just make sure you measure both camper and GL hitch heights on level ground and the hitch can then be adjusted (moving hitch on the shank) and then put weight on the weight bars. How much weight is determined at the CAT scales, too much rear axle weight and you can overload your axle loading value (inside driver's door jam) and cause poor handling. Unlikely that you will overload the front axle but you should know what kind of margins you're dealing with a trip to the scales prior to picking up the trailer (completely fueled and loaded for the trip). Since you own a X164 I'd recommend you search on that sub-forum for brake controller, since a P3 will have to be hard wired into the GL's wiring. I use a Prodigy RF to avoid that but it's not that complex if your GL came equipped with a hitch. Inside the fuel door should be a placard regarding tire pressure at max loads, usually ~6 to 8 pounds higher on the rears and 4 to 6 psi up on the fronts.

Personally, I'd forego the camera since that's not going to be of assistance for seeing down the sides of the trailer which is usually required by law. There are several kinds of tow mirrors that will clamp onto your existing mirrors without marring the paint. Hope this helps..
Thanks for your reply JMCarter,

So you set the tire pressure to max allowed for both front and rear, correct?

I have already wired up the P3. I'll look for clamp on tow mirrors per your suggestion.

Best,
Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
I think towing mirror is a must, otherwise you just can't see what's on your side, it is going to be very hard to change lanes.

Originally Posted by RostamDastan
Hi all,

I will be towing a camper next month. I have a few questions and appreciate feedback from GL towing experts here at this forum

1) Tire questions: What do you set the tire pressure to (both front and rear) when weight distribution is applied? Do you add nitrogen or just Air? (Does it even matter?) For first generation GL owners with no spare, do you carry a fix a flat?

2) Setting up the weight distribution: I need to measure the drop in the back of the GL, when the camper is hitched, so I can adjust the weight distribution. Would turning the car do the trick, turn of air suspension, and make the back of the car drop, so I can setup the weight distribution?

3) I plan to use a wireless rear view camera (and no towing mirrors), so I can see whats behind the camper all the time. Do you think this setup is OK? What brand of camera have you used? I need the camera to be clamp on as the camper is not mine (I cannot drill it to the back of the camper).

4) Is it possible to view engine oil/transmission temperature in information cluster? Or do I need specific tools/software?

5) The tires on our GL were recently replaced, and we also recently did the 30k service. I am guessing we are ready to tow. Am I missing something?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:57 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by deeperblue
I think towing mirror is a must, otherwise you just can't see what's on your side, it is going to be very hard to change lanes.
Thanks for the info. I ordered these:

Amazon.com: REPUSEL universal towing mirrors - Luxmax, convex ANTI GLARE blue tinted glass, and EXTRA long arm (per pair) Amazon.com: REPUSEL universal towing mirrors - Luxmax, convex ANTI GLARE blue tinted glass, and EXTRA long arm (per pair)
Old 08-31-2015, 02:36 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by RostamDastan
Hi all,

I thought I provide the answers that I collected to my original questions in a summary post. Hopefully, its going to be useful to others.

1) Tires: I increased the tire pressure to max allowed per the sticker on driver side B pillar. I just used air to inflate the tires. Dealer told me not to use fix-a-flat as it may damage the TPMS.

2) You can turn the car off to measure the drop for setting up the weight distribution hitch.

3) I did not use rear view camera. Used 'REPUSEL universal towing mirrors'. The mirror of the passenger side was not too helpful. On the driver side it was better. On our next trip, I'll probably use just the driver side tow mirror.

4) I did not get an answer to this question I checked the coolant temperature in information cluster, and it did not move even going up a grade. This is in Pennsylvania though, not anything like Colorado.

5) I was tow ready. Nothing more to do here.

BTW, I used cruise control (CC) to control the speed throughout the trip. Going down the grades, I just used the CC's lever to reduce the speed. CC did all the downshifting and braking -- I never applied the brakes on the GL or manually applied the trailer brakes. Dare I say CC on GL acts like a pseudo tow/haul mode + exhaust brakes on bigger trucks, at least on moderate grades.

Here is a photo of our setup.

Thank you all for your help.
Attached Thumbnails GL 350 Towing questions-gl350_ncountry.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Back down tire pressure to recommended max pressure inside fuel filler door - the B pillar are NOT driving tire pressures - keep the beat !
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 PM

GL 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Back down tire pressure to recommended max pressure inside fuel filler door - the B pillar are NOT driving tire pressures - keep the beat !
Right, B pillar numbers are the max tire pressure, which are needed when towing or hauling lots of people/cargo.