GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

No navigation input while driving!!!???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 350
No navigation input while driving!!!???

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but can a car company be any more insulting to its customers than disabling the navigation input once the car is moving?

Disable the phone if you want to do something that makes a difference. The Command system is so unintuitive and obtuse that just changing audio sources can be more perplexing than using the navigation - but that's not disabled underway? And what of the passenger? They can't use the nav. either? It's straight up stupid in an entirely un-German way. Which leads me to this post -

in the late 90s some BMWs in Europe came with a TV tuner to watch TV on the sat nav screen. This tuner was omitted on cars sold in the U.S. You see where this is going.. Does anyone know if X166 GLs sold in other markets have this stupid navigation handicap?

I called MB and of course they said there is nothing you can do except use voice control (anyone with kids knows how futile that can be).

Perhaps there is an aftermarket hack or workaround. Its really a big issue for me. Some people may not be able to relate. But I like to use tech. to find gas stations, detours traffic etc.. I don't want any of that disabled under any circumstances. I never - never put in an address before I set off (as logical as it may seem - it's also Clark W. Griswold nerdy)

Anyway. Has anyone looked into this? Are the command systems in other markets the same way? Is there a hack or mod that can be done

Thanks,
Drpesq

Last edited by 560SEL; 07-29-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st - please understand in-motion disabling of auto Nav is a Federal new car mandate - has zero to to with MB.

2nd - same Federal thing goes for in-motion lock out COMAND front screen DVD playback

Frankly - for me and for most of my customer's MB voice control works fine for in-motion Nav ...

Keep the beat !
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
ok now that we have the "thank the fed asshats" reasoning... can it be disabled / reprogrammed so a passenger can use it?

Because, and lets be honest about this, the alternative that well EVERYONE is going to use will just be their smartphone.

Talk about the pinnacle of stupid. This is about as counter productive as I can imagine.

Last edited by nycphotography; 07-30-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:48 PM

GL 350
The Feds, the same people that say 55 is fast enough..?

dvdinmotion.com sells the solution!!!

I won't be using Waze anymore. Just a shame I have to pay $200.00 for it.

You may want to tell BMW and Porsche about the Feds... They don't seem to be complying LOL.

DRPesq.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
federal mandate as of when?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL550
Originally Posted by drpesq
dvdinmotion.com sells the solution!!!

I won't be using Waze anymore. Just a shame I have to pay $200.00 for it.

You may want to tell BMW and Porsche about the Feds... They don't seem to be complying LOL.

DRPesq.
+1 on the other German manufacturers that are apparently flaunting the law.

Why wouldn't you just use Waze - superior on many fronts. Surely the age of car navigation will end soon, in favor of integration with your smart mobile device.

Oh wait, that's called Apple Car Play (although I don't think it supports Waze so far)!

Last edited by Dalema; 08-03-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:09 PM

2016 GL450; 2015 C300 Sport
has to do with limiting distractions while driving. i know, phones can be more of a distraction than anything. having functional splitview in some states is still not allowed. louisiana had to be presented a functional splitview at the state capital to get approval. when vehicles equipped with splitview enter the states, during the PDI process, the splitview has to be unlocked to make it functional. my wife's old denali wouldn't allow input for navigation addresses when the vehicle was in motion, either. matter of fact, you had to be in park to type in an address. at least in the MB vehicles, you can input while stationary (ie red light, stop sign, traffic, etc)
Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
GL350
Blame lawyers for this one.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I used a poor choice of wording - on anti-In-Motion Nav - for Nav it's a Recommended and Voluntrary Federal Guideline (anti-distraction) - unlike anti-In-Motion-Driver-DVD is a Federal mandate, and in some states front screen In-Motion-Front-Motion-Passenger-DVD is prohibited in some states as well.

Yes - Mercedes chooses to follow the Federal guidelines on In-Motion-Nav - some other manufacturers choose to follow too, and some others do not.

http://www.distraction.gov/

http://www.distraction.gov/downloads...ic-devices.pdf
Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I haven't really narrowed it down to the exact circumstances but there are times when it does allow inputs while driving. It might be when putting in the name of a town or place when searching under POI, that it lets you scroll and enter individual letters while still driving. The voice command in my 2012 is hit or miss. The voice command in a '15 C300 loaner I had not too long ago was a lot better.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
I've been finding that if I start entering an address with voice control, it let's me finish with the regular controls. Nifty work around.

I have been eyeing the Midcity Engineering Solution as it seems to have dropped about $1k since I last looked. I want it more for the DVD controls though. Having your DVD stop playing while on the highway with a hungry kid is not fund.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:52 AM

2016 E350
It seems that in my '16 E350 the address input while in motion becomes accessible with a passenger in the seat. Anyone else confirm?
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 AM

GL 350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I used a poor choice of wording - on anti-In-Motion Nav - for Nav it's a Recommended and Voluntrary Federal Guideline (anti-distraction) - unlike anti-In-Motion-Driver-DVD is a Federal mandate, and in some states front screen In-Motion-Front-Motion-Passenger-DVD is prohibited in some states as well.

Yes - Mercedes chooses to follow the Federal guidelines on In-Motion-Nav - some other manufacturers choose to follow too, and some others do not.

http://www.distraction.gov/

http://www.distraction.gov/downloads...ic-devices.pdf
There are two things no man will admit he can't do well, drive and make love. - Sir Sterling Moss

Regulating "distractions" is necessary to cover up for bad drivers....

DRP
Old 11-29-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
R231
You can get it unlocked in under a minute using a software unlock. bimmerguru.com/mercedes_benz sells them