GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Looking to buy 2013 GL450 for wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 AM
dgi

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
93 Mustang GT, 94 Corvette ZR1, 2004 CL55 AMG
Looking to buy 2013 GL450 for wife

Greetings all! Never thought I'd be in the market for a Mercedes SUV (short of a G500) but here I am.

Wife originally wanted a late model Escalade but the third row seats not folding into the floor really turned her off to that model. We have a 16 month old and wife is 23 weeks pregnant so we need something newer for her to drive the kids around in so after looking around she settled on a 2013+ GL450. Looking around locally and finding plenty of cars with around 39K miles on them. Planning on going the extended warranty route up to 100K for peace of mind (any suggestions on extended warranty companies would be appreciated.

Found a peach locally thats got Keyless Go, Panorama Roof, Premium 1, Appearance package, Lighting Package, Lane Tracking, Power Easy Entry 2nd Row, Rear Seat Pre-wiring and Chrome Package.

Hoping to get down to dealership to have a look today and maybe start negotiations if it looks ok. Carfax shows clean 1 owner northern car. Not crazy about buying a previous NY car but we'll see how it looks/drives.

Any suggestions? Are people keeping their 2013 GL450s past warranty without having extended coverage? Any tips/tricks on buying a preowned X166?

Looking forward to being a member of this community and maybe expanding further down the range. I've always been a fan of the older AMG cars (especially the 2000-02 E55 cars).
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I think you need clarification on warranty - a Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes GL from the MB dealer has the available balance of the original new car warranty 4yrs/50K miles - based on time or mileage whichever comes 1st - AND has Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty out to full 5 yrs from original in-service date to original owner.

For a Certified 2013 GL - it's the original in-service date that is the key - not so much the mileage on the clock - and frankly higher mileage Certified 2013's/2014's can be a sharp by since CPO warranty is by in-service date - and higher mileage on the clock brings their price down a bit as compared to lower mileage same yr/features.

Yes - you can choose to pay to extend the CPO warranty up to a additional 2yrs - aain there is no mileage cap. That extedned can be purchased/financed at time of purcahse - or bought anytime later up to last day of the 5yr Certified Warranty existing.

When Mercedes changed over to the Unlimited Mileage Certified Warranty - - kindof really changed the warranty thing much/much better for those that plan to put on miles - and also added real value to rig's available with "higher" mileage which brings the acquisition price down.

I had a 49K mile GL450 I had taken in on trade for a S-Class - CPO out into 12/18 - with a bit more gear at $56K - frankly a LOT of rig for the money you can use edmunds.com as 3rd party benchmark to know what you are looking at is a square deal from the dealer or not.

Just trying to help !

Keep the beat !
Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Fab...no offense, but you dealers are fool of sh*t.
2013 49K miles CPO for $56K ? Are you kidding ? Just for comparison - last week I went to my dealer with intention to trade in my 2015 GL350 with 12K on ODO and almost $78K original MSRP. The car is 10 months old. Their offer was $56K. You're guys just robbing people where ever you can
Old 09-28-2015, 10:24 PM
dgi

Went to the dealership today. Drove and inspected the car. Everything looked in order.

Sat down and immediately the dealership wanted to tack on a $1100 "reconditioning charge". Fine print on the VERY BOTTOM of their web site indicated such a charge was possible. We quickly got rid of that charge and dropped the "internet price" from $49,600 to $48,500. OTD price is $52xxx. I was hoping to be closer to $50k on this purchase.

I have a friend that has access to the Manheim auction house and am wondering if going through him would net a better deal. I looked around and even base, stripper cars either have more miles or have accident history in my area. Im keen to jump on this deal based on the clean history and value added given the options but am still hesitant. I have until Wednesday to accept the offer (assuming someone else doesn't). For what its worth, the car was just listed for sale a week and a half ago and the dealership isn't in a rush to sell. Man I wish its been sitting on their lot for 50+ days haha
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well, actually the rig sold was a 2014.. and price was more than fair for equipt it had .. so sh*t on you
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by dgi
Went to the dealership today. Drove and inspected the car. Everything looked in order.

Sat down and immediately the dealership wanted to tack on a $1100 "reconditioning charge". Fine print on the VERY BOTTOM of their web site indicated such a charge was possible. We quickly got rid of that charge and dropped the "internet price" from $49,600 to $48,500. OTD price is $52xxx. I was hoping to be closer to $50k on this purchase.

I have a friend that has access to the Manheim auction house and am wondering if going through him would net a better deal. I looked around and even base, stripper cars either have more miles or have accident history in my area. Im keen to jump on this deal based on the clean history and value added given the options but am still hesitant. I have until Wednesday to accept the offer (assuming someone else doesn't). For what its worth, the car was just listed for sale a week and a half ago and the dealership isn't in a rush to sell. Man I wish its been sitting on their lot for 50+ days haha
Just bought a 2013 Lunar Blue GL450 with P1, lighting package, trailer hitch and some other upgrades for 36k from Manheim. This vehicle was listed by MB in PA as certified preowned and one owner car before going into auction.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:15 AM
dgi

Originally Posted by USMCtone
Just bought a 2013 Lunar Blue GL450 with P1, lighting package, trailer hitch and some other upgrades for 36k from Manheim. This vehicle was listed by MB in PA as certified preowned and one owner car before going into auction.
How many miles??

On a side note, I called local MB dealership to inquire about extended warranty options for this car and they told me they could offer no extended warranty due to the vehicle's already extensive service history... Fuel injectors have already been replaced, brake rotors, windshield, etc. its never been in an accident but it came as a shock that they wouldnt cover it.

The dealership im considering buying from is offering a Careguard Extended Warranty upto ~90k miles or 4 years for ~$4300.

Not sure if I should move on from this car or go with it and get thr Careguard coverage. Wife is a little aprehensive and was looking at Lexus LX570s for a moment yesterday (to my surprise and excitement) but quickly went back to lookin at other GLs...
Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by dgi
How many miles??

On a side note, I called local MB dealership to inquire about extended warranty options for this car and they told me they could offer no extended warranty due to the vehicle's already extensive service history... Fuel injectors have already been replaced, brake rotors, windshield, etc. its never been in an accident but it came as a shock that they wouldnt cover it.

The dealership im considering buying from is offering a Careguard Extended Warranty upto ~90k miles or 4 years for ~$4300.

Not sure if I should move on from this car or go with it and get thr Careguard coverage. Wife is a little aprehensive and was looking at Lexus LX570s for a moment yesterday (to my surprise and excitement) but quickly went back to lookin at other GLs...
62k miles
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
well-equipped 2014 gl450 with 50k on the odo trade in for 48 or thereabouts, wholesale for 52 and can retail for 56 on the right day to the right customer

just a data point
Old 09-30-2015, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by alx
well-equipped 2014 gl450 with 50k on the odo trade in for 48 or thereabouts, wholesale for 52 and can retail for 56 on the right day to the right customer

just a data point
Yes, but originally he was talking about MY 2013.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:56 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by aeggroup
Yes, but originally he was talking about MY 2013.
subtract 5k from my previous numbers
Old 10-01-2015, 03:34 PM

c63 amg coupe
I have a 2014 GL350 with 26k miles for sale at $55.5
Old 10-02-2015, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - if a pre-owned MB is under 75K miles - and "young enough" - the two major reasons it can be knocked out of Certification - either frame damage - and/or out-of-warranty repairs (if out of new car warranty) necessary to bring it to Certification standards are too high to make the rig sellable at a realistic certified price.

The 3rd reason - rarer - is if a vehicle has been a "lemon law buy back car" - and those are specifically prohibited from CPO status as well - and I have not seen any dealer touch one of those - since they are sold back into retail by MB to parallel channel non-MB dealers and/or thru Mannheim where the purchasing dealer if fully aware of the lemon-law-buy-back and legally required to disclose that to the ultimate retail buyer - and title is permanently marked with that for life of the vehicle.

For qualifying rigs - MB Certified is the most cost effective warranty - and the plus Unlimited Mileage - so a "recent" model rig not up to meeting Certification is worth less (often a lot less) than the right rig that is Certified.

No - I would not pay $4300 for a 3rd party warranty - since a Certified Warranty priced into the right vehcile is like dealer cost $1100-$1300..

You might be best served by waiting for the right rig - which won't "have a story" -
Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 AM

gl450
I own 2013 gl450.

dgi,

We have 2013 gl450 cpo with less than 16,000 miles on it. Will you be interested in buying it? It's southern california car.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 AM
dgi

Im not sure if my local Mercedes dealer found the car in question not viable for CPO warranty but I was more interested in a Mercedes supported aftermarket warranty. I didnt intend to ask about having it CPO'd.

The dealership that has this car is offering a Caregard Extended warranty. They tell me that its a comprehensive warranty that covers all mechanical aspects of the car as well as the suspension components. I have yet to read over the fine print.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Caregard warranty system?

Found a second car that we may be interested in (although my wife isnt crazy about Iridium Silver. This car is 29K, is CPO'd, has pre-wiring for rear seat entertainment, Premium 1, and lane assist. They are asking $51,500.

This car seems like a better deal to me considering the lower miles but my wife may be hung up on color. I'll admit that I'd like to have more options on the car to aid in resale but by the time either extended warranty ends, who knows what these things will be worth...

Can I purchase the additional two years of CPO coverage at a later date? Or does that have to occur at the time of sale? Does CPO coverage include air suspension components? I know theres no deductible for service so thats a plus.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I've owned three GL's and have a lot of experience with the service department. IMHO it is a huge red flag that your dealership can't CPO this car. I'd move on.