GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL350 vs. 450 Torque / HP curve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 ML 320
GL350 vs. 450 Torque / HP curve

After thinking I had "decided" on the 450, I am back to reconsidering a 350 for my november build. I went back through and read the numerous posts over the past few years with the various opinions and comparisons. I drove each a while back and didn't notice much difference other than the seat seemed much firmer and less comfortable in the BT (but assuming that was just a configuration issue). Anyhow, given a reasonable number of folks mention the relative sub-optimal HP in the BT, I did a little research to find the actual curve. To my surprise, the 450 generates the same or less HP up until ~3500rpm, and at about 4000rpm there becomes a meaningful difference (if my source data is accurate). Given the stats and the fact that when driving the GL we'll probably spend 95% of our time driving at 3500rpm or less, isn't the diesel the hands down superior performance option for this driving style (wife's cruiser for the burbs) as opposed to the choice you "live with" to obtain increased fuel efficiency and time b/w fill ups?

Would love to hear others' perspectives here. I've never owned a diesel but like the idea of it--just concerned if longer term maintenance or fuel prices in CA (punitive diesel tax here) will be eliminate any benefits. Also, I've never filled up a diesel but wondering how bad the pump handles might be based on comments here--messy fill up handles may get me in trouble with the wife!

Do you folks see a meaningful difference in the cost or hassle factor of maintenance? I'm not worried about DEF--seems like a simple/no-brainer to do on my own. FWIW, we plan to get the 7-yr warranty and keep it for that duration.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Kyle

Links to the sites I pulled the power curve data:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/cu...50_4matic.html

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/cu...ec_4matic.html
Old 09-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
The diesel:gasoline savings factor is a rather simple calculation. The typical break-even savings point on most models is going to be in the ~40-50k miles neighborhood after factoring premium model price, diesel costs, etc.

The main advantage and selling point when we bought our diesel VW Passat last year was not the "savings", but the convenience of longer intervals between fill ups. This is the wife's car and she does about 20k highway miles a year, so the 600+ mile range was very attractive.

I considered and tested out the GL350 before buying the 450. My thinking was I would never realize the savings with the GL350 and my driving style, , they did have a similar power delivery with torque advantage going to the 350 probably, but the overall engine performance of the 450 was superior, in my opinion. Toss in the fact the dealerships are much more willing to deal on a 450 vs a 350, and it was an easy decision.

Diesel fuel ups do present an issue if smell is a concern for you. My wife keeps a glove in the trunk for such occasions.
That's my short opinion on this subject. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM

1987 560SL
i have a 2014 GL350. it is my DD. most of my driving is in town and i drive it like it is stolen. i average 18 mpg and dont seem to stop for fuel very often. i had a gl450 while my car was in service and over a three day period last week and averaged 12.1 mpg driving the exact same way on the exact same streets.

for me, the biggest pro in the diesel is that i really dont feel like im filling up as often as in a gas car.

i will say that my 350 has little passing power on the highway but is very torquey at slower speeds.

im looking at severl other cars right now and really want another diesel. i just wish it rattled and blew black smoke like in the 80s.

also, the highway range is insane in the diesel. went on a caravan roadtrip a while back and my buddies in their expeditions and yukons had to fill up when i had half a tank left.

my .02
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM

98 ML 320
thank you both. appreciate all data points / insights / opinions. leaning more toward the 350--will see if I can still keep my same build date and switch from the 450 or if means pushing back even further.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL350
We love our GL350 thus far, received it in June. The 3L Bluetec is great engine. It is incredibly smooth and quiet, especially for a diesel. In fact, I have heard some direct inject gas engines that have more clatter at idle than this engine. It is plenty powerful and in every day driving the torque makes it quite peppy. Our previous primary family vehicle, had a 5L V8 that made just shy of 400 HP and torque. I don't miss it at all and in normal everyday driving, the GL350 feels just about as quick.

The range of the vehicle is very impressive. Around town driving we get 19-ish mpg, 500 mile range or so. On a semi flat highway doing 80 mph it will get about 700 miles on a tank, almost unbelievable for a vehicle of this size and weight. Not to mention, I can't think of a better highway vehicle than the GL class. Comfortable, spacious, luxurious,and quiet.

I don't have any issue with the maintenance on the Bluetec, there's nothing really exclusive to the diesel except for the def. We bought the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance because we plan on keeping the GL for 100K miles or so. The def is no big deal to me, I already have def for my Super Duty and it's really just as easy as filling windshield washer fluid. I don't even consider def to be a hassle.

We also drove the 450 and it is a fine gas v6, but I just wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the Bluetec. The Bluetec gives you a luxurious, capable and powerful vehicle with the added bonus of higher efficiency. On a side note, at the moment diesel is cheaper than premium unleaded in Texas so that's an even bigger bonus.

The only downside to the GL350 is availabilty, at least in our area. In the entire state we could not find a GL350 with all the options we wanted with the color we wanted. We wanted an almost fully loaded black/black 350. After not being able to find one for after a few weeks; we were just about to finalize an order when our sales advisor found one exactly like we wanted in a far away state and they made a trade for it.

Last edited by Lone Star Benz; 09-30-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL 350
This article on Diesel Vs Gasoline reaffirmed my belief in Diesel's
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OuEBfQmbS4Vf_g

If link doesn't work, please google search with "UMTRI Gasoline vs Diesel".

Even Consumer Reports has started publishing Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Data. As with all products, the TCO provides a better understanding of costs other than initial cost and fuel costs.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R107
i will say that my 350 has little passing power on the highway but is very torquey at slower speeds.
When test driving GLs, this was exactly my impression of the 350. Very torquey at lower speeds, but you lose it once you get moving a little faster. I also felt like it had more engine vibration than the gassers. That said, I would have happily gone with the 350 if I had found one optioned the way I wanted though. I am a diesel nut and I like the better fuel range, as others have stated. I have two diesels at home already. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Enjoy
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
put down the magazines and go drive them again.

they are different in their power delivery and dynamics. no tq/hp curve can project that correctly in your sensory like actually driving them a bit around
Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i was in the same dilemma and actually waited to drive the 450 before ordering my 350. The 450 just seemed underpowered for what it was compared the 14 450 with that bi-tiurbo v8.

IN the end i will echo what others are saying - love the mpg and the wife absolutely loves it - if you are opting for more power the way to go is with race chip - honestly i don't think it is that bad in passing form on the freeway - i keep saying i am going to tune ours to really see the potential, but i only drive the 350 about 1x a week or so.

Love going up a grade and the truck doesn't even wince and never moves about 2500 while doing 80.

We absolutely love ours - looking back i would have opted for the ACS - but do have the lower dash stick and easy entry with 2 small kids and we haven't had any issues with the seats - we use DIONO if that makes a dif -

good luck with what you decided - we had to wait about 90-100 days to get our truck but totally worth it in the end - we just turned 7K miles in 11 months and still feels great
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM

98 ML 320
thanks--you all had me on the fence thinking hard about making the switch. In the end, my build ended up locking with the 450 (too late to change anything now and we were still waffling anyhow). Next build for a 350 is another 2-3 months out and I figure it'll be impossible to find our options with another other than an order, so sticking with the 450! I'm sure we'll love it... the wife is certainly looking forward to the added space and nicer ride.