GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Advice on buying a CPO 2013 GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
Advice on buying a CPO 2013 GL550

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2013 GL550 with 15K miles on it for $57.5K. Dealer accepted my offer and I will sign the paperwork next week, as I am out of state. I haven't seen the vehicle in person but the sales person sent me several additional pics I had requested. Everything looks kosher. I am still wondering if the deal is too good to be true as a search on mbusa.com shows all 2013 GL550's listed for at least $65K with similar miles. And third party dealers are selling GL550's for over 2K than what I am buying for. I found the vehicle on mbusa.com and didn't waste time sealing the deal. I was lucky as there was a deposit on it but the customer's financing wasn't approved. The only few I have seen at the same price range were ones with over 50K miles on them.

I am also buying the ELW and prepaid maint for $3500 and $1500 respectively.

I believe I got an awesome deal. MSRP was $89K and was a lease return.

http://tinyurl.com/zpsh3qg

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sbarsap; 11-28-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest you pickup in person - the reason I say that is the comment _they had a buyer fall out" - I understood you were told that was a buyer-finance-issue when frankly that may-or-may-not have been the reason for backing-out-of-the-deal.

From the vehicle VMI - yes, there was a jerking-brakes (rotor) issue early on - please understand any similar/pending brake issues under CPO.

Then early on under 3rd party Wheel/Tire Road Hazard issue there was "something" that happened - by it's nature a bit strange it's not under VMI - but 3rd party Road Hazard would pay any shop.

To the good it shows all tires replaced at 14K miles - which could be seen as the "right thing to do".

The "unsettling" VMI entry has to do with lease return the dealer CPO inspection ran a special "verify mileage" which is a rare thing really - where the odometer is checked against the EIS for discrepancy - which apparently passed clean - since it is a CPO apparently - but I have not seen this "verify mileage" ever requested or done like never really.

Again - if it was me - I would choose to fly down for deal close - and dealer would rightfully be pressuring you like crazy to close for Monday month end.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Again - if it was me - I would choose to fly down for deal close - and dealer would rightfully be pressuring you like crazy to close for Monday month end.
Thanks for the response. If I do fly out what should I look for, I am not mechanically inclined. Should I take it to another dealer to have it checked out?
Can I maybe pay a service to go out can check the car?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by sbarsap
Thanks for the response. If I do fly out what should I look for, I am not mechanically inclined. Should I take it to another dealer to have it checked out?
Can I maybe pay a service to go out can check the car?
Yes, pay someone to do a private vehicle inspection

Take it for a good couple hour test drive, attempt to try every feature shy of collision safety components

I too recommend you fly down to check car out
Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 AM

Thanks guys for the tip, any comment on the price I am paying. I setup a carchex inspection and will fly down to sign the deal.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
These cars are "famous" for vibration issues. Make sure you will drive it up to 90-95 mph and check for any singes of vibration.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Good that you're seeing the car in person, I would never buy a car sight unseen. Ever. There are things you just cannot see in photos. There could be rock chips on the front, scratches in the paint, who knows. Also, lease returns can be either good or very bad. Some people treat them like they're financed whereas others treat them with little respect because they're leased - and have that "It's not my car mind-set".
Old 12-06-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Thanks guys for the tip, any comment on the price I am paying. I setup a carchex inspection and will fly down to sign the deal.
so did you end up buying the car? can you share your experience?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by IloveC300
so did you end up buying the car? can you share your experience?
Yes I did buy the vehicle as everything checked out except for the rear passenger shock (leaking oil and a reverse camera that showed a bubble on the screen when activated (both replaced by the dealer). I flew in last Wednesday and had a local guy from a pre-buying vehicle inspection service meet me at the dealership to have him check out the suv and also test drove it. I then signed the deal and had a shipping service transport it back to TX and will receive it tomorrow. The dealer MB of coral gables did an awesome job with all my questions and requests.

Thanks to all who gave me advice. I will post pics once I get the GL.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Yes I did buy the vehicle as everything checked out except for the rear passenger shock (leaking oil and a reverse camera that showed a bubble on the screen when activated (both replaced by the dealer). I flew in last Wednesday and had a local guy from a pre-buying vehicle inspection service meet me at the dealership to have him check out the suv and also test drove it. I then signed the deal and had a shipping service transport it back to TX and will receive it tomorrow. The dealer MB of coral gables did an awesome job with all my questions and requests.

Thanks to all who gave me advice. I will post pics once I get the GL.
How much did you pay to ship the car to TX? i'm planning to purchase one that is out of state as well. Trying to figure out how much it would cost.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Try uship.com to get estimate of shipping cost zip-to-zip
Old 12-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Try uship.com to get estimate of shipping cost zip-to-zip
I used the dealer's shipper, cost me $790 from coral gables to Houston, TX. It was delivered yesterday and was in perfect condition when received. I love it, I pushed it hard last night and couldn't believe the amount of power it has. I will post pics shortly.