GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Panicked about the headrest issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Panicked about the headrest issue

Okay.... I am having a minor panic attack. I am picking up my 2016 GL350 this week. I was rather excited about the power easy entry feature until I read about the car seat and small child issue. I see there is a work around to remove the pin or to convince MB to give me new headrests. I will do that if that is my only option.

However, I saw in the headrest thread that someone said that there 2016 doesn't have the issue anymore. Does anyone know if this is true? I would love to hear it is so. My local dealer doesn't have and GLs left and the next closest dealer is quite a drive. Any info would be appreciated.

Until I read about this I was really so very excited to be coming back to the Benz world!!! I just can't wait any longer!! I gave in and leased the GL because I'm not patient enough at the moment to wait until I can get a decent discount on a GLS.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:49 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
My advice would be to bring your child with you when you pick it up and also a car seat. Yes, I am also a parent and know you're on borrowed time bring the kids. However, BEFORE signing and taking delivery, that would be the time to check it out for yourself. If it is an issue for you, DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY. Any promises they make to "fix" it for you, get it in writing before driving it off the lot. Also don't let them guilt you about all of the work that went into prepping the vehicle nor the paperwork involved to unwind the deal, not your concern. Your only concern is is the comfort of your child in a vehicle that you're gonna to be putting them into for the next 3 years.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Honda Odyseey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by skw
My advice would be to bring your child with you when you pick it up and also a car seat. Yes, I am also a parent and know you're on borrowed time bring the kids. However, BEFORE signing and taking delivery, that would be the time to check it out for yourself. If it is an issue for you, DO NOT TAKE DELIVERY. Any promises they make to "fix" it for you, get it in writing before driving it off the lot. Also don't let them guilt you about all of the work that went into prepping the vehicle nor the paperwork involved to unwind the deal, not your concern. Your only concern is is the comfort of your child in a vehicle that you're gonna to be putting them into for the next 3 years.
For me, it won't be that easy. I have to take the vehicle either way.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
It's not a big deal. Do not install the manual headrest because you will have to manually push the headrest down frequently which defeats the purpose. Ask the dealer to remove the pin. If they are unwilling, take it to a shop like a car audio shop that is familiar with working with car upholstery. Print of the directions to remove the pin that are on this forum and they will be able to remove the pin in 30 min or less while you wait. Some people seem to be able to do this themselves. The leather was too tight for me to remove the clips without tools which a car audio shop will have. Nothing to get excited about, enjoy your new GL.
The following users liked this post:
tlkl01 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The 2016 GL headrest used for EZ Entry has a bit of flex in it - so I would rest a bit easier..
tlkl01 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 43221B
It's not a big deal. Do not install the manual headrest because you will have to manually push the headrest down frequently which defeats the purpose. Ask the dealer to remove the pin. If they are unwilling, take it to a shop like a car audio shop that is familiar with working with car upholstery. Print of the directions to remove the pin that are on this forum and they will be able to remove the pin in 30 min or less while you wait. Some people seem to be able to do this themselves. The leather was too tight for me to remove the clips without tools which a car audio shop will have. Nothing to get excited about, enjoy your new GL.
Does your headrest flop in and out now without the pin? Or does it seem pretty solid?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 PM

I don't think it will work with this seat. I went and tested it. It is the only harnessed seat my son still fits in so I can't change the seat. It is super tightly wedged under the headrest. What a mess. The headrest does give and I hope my other son will fit with it without an issue. I'll have to get one headrest removed.
Attached Thumbnails Panicked about the headrest issue-image.jpeg  
Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 PM

This is how tight it is...I am a car seat technician so I have to clear it with Britax and I can't imagine them thinking this is okay.
Attached Thumbnails Panicked about the headrest issue-image.jpeg  
Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 PM

Oh...and I'm thinking that there's no pin in the slightly revised headrest to remove?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:45 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
I just picked my wife up a 2016 GL last week with the EZ Entry option. The headrests were indeed a problem.

I removed the pins myself by following the directions on this site. It's not hard. First one took 15 minutes, the 2nd one took only 5 minutes.

FYI, the headrests have been redesigned for the GLS model.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
I just picked my wife up a 2016 GL last week with the EZ Entry option. The headrests were indeed a problem.

I removed the pins myself by following the directions on this site. It's not hard. First one took 15 minutes, the 2nd one took only 5 minutes.

FYI, the headrests have been redesigned for the GLS model.
This is great to know...that there is still a pin in the 2016. Thanks for that info. Do the headrests flop around now that they don't have the pin... Or do they stay in place pretty well (front to back movement).
Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by tlkl01
This is great to know...that there is still a pin in the 2016. Thanks for that info. Do the headrests flop around now that they don't have the pin... Or do they stay in place pretty well (front to back movement).
No, they will remain in the position you place them in. They pivot from the top so the bottom of the headrest will rest against the posts sitting flush with the seat back, which is what works for kids and car seats. The seat back is reclining so the headrest bottom wants to rest against the posts once the pin is removed. If you push the bottom forward however, there is enough friction that the headrest bottom will remain forward allowing you to push the button with the same hand. Easy as pie.

I understand why they are designed the way they are, for an adult, the pin keeps the headrest forward which is a more comfortable position for an adult plus it allows the headrest to clear the seat back. The problem of course is adults only occasionally sit in the back seats of these vehicles.
tlkl01 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 43221B
No, they will remain in the position you place them in. They pivot from the top so the bottom of the headrest will rest against the posts sitting flush with the seat back, which is what works for kids and car seats. The seat back is reclining so the headrest bottom wants to rest against the posts once the pin is removed. If you push the bottom forward however, there is enough friction that the headrest bottom will remain forward allowing you to push the button with the same hand. Easy as pie.

I understand why they are designed the way they are, for an adult, the pin keeps the headrest forward which is a more comfortable position for an adult plus it allows the headrest to clear the seat back. The problem of course is adults only occasionally sit in the back seats of these vehicles.
Thanks for your clear explanation! Much appreciated.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Ford Lightning, GL350 and a couple of outbacks
we custom ordered a 2015 GL last February and specifically deleted the ez entry and went manual. Since you have to manually put it back down anyway and we have three kids we decided it wasn't worth it especially since the headrests didn't seem to be able to stay in the part way down position. The kids know to drop the headrest before they fold the seat and so far it hasn't been a problem. It seems that every car on the lot has the feature so it's hard to avoid. I just wanted to weigh in and say it's not that big of a deal to live without it and I'm glad we didn't get it.